Private equity has long been a key focus for Clifford Chance and our market-leading practice offers unrivalled expertise and resources across the globe. We represent a wide range of global, regional and emerging markets financial investors, including private equity houses, banks, specialist infrastructure and private equity real estate funds and other financial institutions.
With our combination of international reach, multi-disciplinary expertise and industry sector focus, we advise on all aspects of private equity. We work closely with our Funds & Investment Management sector to provide an integrated offering to all clients in the investment management industry. The strength and depth of our private equity expertise is reflected in our consistent top tier rankings in the key legal directories, and numerous award wins.
- Investments – our experience spans the globe. We frequently advise on complex, cross-border transactions and cover a variety of investment strategies, including:
- Portfolio company mandates: We work closely with our clients' portfolio companies throughout the lifetime of the investment, advising them on a broad range of mandates.
- Fund management M&A: We have market-leading experience advising on fund management M&A transactions (including spin-outs and portfolio acquisitions and divestitures) across private equity, hedge, real estate and credit funds.
- Private fund mandates: We are recognised as the global market leader in working with alternative fund managers to establish and operate the whole range of alternative private investment funds. We are particularly focussed on closed-ended private equity, real estate and infrastructure funds.
Our wide-ranging experience, which includes many high-profile and market-leading mandates, gives us exceptional insight into the market and enables us to help our clients anticipate issues and develop commercial solutions.
With the largest geographic coverage of any single law firm, we provide truly global private equity expertise, enhanced by our understanding of local legal, regulatory and business issues. The extraordinary reach of our practice allows us to advise clients wherever their deal ambitions take them (including the key emerging markets) and we have a particularly strong focus on complex, multi-jurisdictional deals, operating cross-border teams to coordinate resources seamlessly.
Our private equity team is a highly integrated, multi-disciplinary group with lawyers collaborating from across our network of offices to provide clients with seamless service, even on the most complex of mandates involving multiple specialisms. Our market-leading global M&A/Corporate practice works closely with our experts in all the key practice areas including; leveraged and acquisition finance, capital markets, private funds, restructuring, compliance, financial services regulation, anti-trust/competition, tax, and employment, employee benefits and pensions (including ERISA).
Industry sector focus
Our strong industry sector focus gives us a deep understanding of the issues and challenges facing our clients and a real competitive edge. We apply a sector focused approach on deals, combining profound industry expertise with our private equity transactional capabilities. This allows us to undertake timely and efficient due diligence, to identify industry specific risks early and to provide practical solutions. Between deals, we brief clients at the earliest stages on industry developments to ensure they are kept updated on the issues and opportunities in their chosen sectors.
- Cinven on the €1.49 billion acquisition of German-based CeramTec, a subsidiary of Rockwood Holdings
- CVC Asia Pacific on the over US$300 million leveraged buyout of the business process outsourcing business of SPi Global Holdings, Inc. from Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company
- Wendel on the US$125 million investment in the IHS Group, active in the telecom tower infrastructure business across Africa
- KKR on the acquisition of South Staffordshire Water and Cambridge Water from Alinda Capital Partners
- TPG Capital on the €310 million acquisition of the real estate servicing business of Servihabitat by a joint venture formed by TPG (51%) and Caixabank (49%). Servihabitat is the largest servicing platform in Spain
- Electra Partners on the US$1.3 billion sale of US/France based Allflex to BC Partners
- Acromas Holdings (owned by CVC Capital Partners, Permira and Charterhouse) on the refinancing of the AA group's existing bank debt through the whole business securitisation of the AA Group
- Macquarie Bank on the sale of MGPA, a private equity real estate investment advising company, to Blackrock, Inc.
- International Finance Corporation (IFC) on its Russian Bank Opportunity Fund (target $1 billion) which was formed to offer an opportunity for select investors to participate in the continuing investment program of the IFC in the Russian Federation's financial sector.
- The Carlyle Group on the US$1.93 billion acquisition of Korean security business, ADT Korea, from Tyco - the largest private equity buyout deal in US dollar value in Korea since 2008