We provide top-tier legal expertise in the power sector across the conventional, nuclear and renewables industries, to global and domestic clients across the world through our offices in Asia Pacific, the Americas, Europe, Africa and the Middle East – a network that few firms can match.
Acknowledged experts across all areas of law
Our global team comprises acknowledged industry experts with a formidable reputation of successfully advising on the world's largest and most complex project financings and developments (including construction) as well as on major cross-border acquisitions, joint ventures, asset exchanges, privatisations, trading and marketing, disputes, regulation and market reform, competition/antitrust issues, environmental issues and public procurement matters.
Market leading renewables expertise
We have a top-tier renewable power practice with our multi-office teams coordinating and sharing information via our Global Renewables Group. We have significant experience across the entirety of the renewables sector, including in relation to onshore and offshore wind, solar, biomass, hydro, CHP, carbon abatement, waste/recycling management, green certificates and emissions trading, as well as a market-leading track record in establishing renewable energy joint venture platforms.
An established Nuclear Group
Our dedicated nuclear group brings together cross-practice expertise with market leading industry knowledge, and continues to be at the forefront of legal solutions and client service in the nuclear sector. Our extensive and recent experience has enabled us to develop expertise and understanding of the whole spectrum of issues affecting the industry, from financing, corporate and commercial matters to construction, IP, insurance, regulation, environment, insurance, competition law and dispute resolution.
UK & Continental Europe
- Hornsea 1 offshore windfarm, United Kingdom: Advised Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP) on the acquisition from Ørsted of 50% interest in the 1,218MW Hornsea 1 offshore wind farm, which is currently under construction off the coast of Yorkshire, in a deal worth £4.46 billion. The transaction is the largest single project financing ever in the global renewable energy sector, and the debt includes both institutional and commercial bank funding, together with a mezzanine tranche provided by Danish pension fund PFA, and the debt is covered in part by Danish Export Credit Agency, EKF.
- Hinkley Point C, United Kingdom: Advising EdF S.A. on the development of Hinkley Point C nuclear power station, including the £6 billion investment by China General Nuclear Power Corporation to acquire and finance 33.5% of the £18 billion project, as well as advising on the landmark State Aid clearance of the new nuclear power station.
- North Sea Link, Norway & United Kingdom: Advising SACE, BNP Paribas, HSBC Bank and The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ in connection with a term loan facility to National Grid North America Inc. for the construction of an electricity interconnector project known as the 'North Sea Link' between UK and Norway. Best ECA Backed Sustainable Deal of the Year 2016, TXF Awards
- Merkur Offshore Wind Project, Germany: Advising the lending consortium on the €1.2 billion debt financing of the Merkur offshore windpark in Germany Europe Renewables Deal of the Year 2016, PFI Awards and European Offshore Wind Deal of the Year 2016, IJ Global Awards
- Abengoa Restructuring, Spain: Advising a committee of Bondholders on the restructuring of Spanish renewable energy company, Abengoa, following its filing for pre-insolvency under Article 5bis of the Spanish Insolvency Law
Africa & Middle East
- Bujagali II Hydropower Project, Uganda: Advising the lenders (including both commercial lenders and DFIs) on the refinancing of the Bujagali II hydro power project
- Azura-Edo power plant, Nigeria: Advising a group of 16 commercial and DFI lenders on the complex financing structure for the 450MW gas-fired Azura-Edo power plant, the first greenfield IPP being developed with the support of the Nigeria Bulk Electricity Trader. Africa Multi-sourced Financing of the Year 2015, IJ Global Awards and Best Power Deal 2015, EMEA Project Finance Awards
- Maamba Power Project, Zambia: Advising the lenders on the US$825 million financing of the 300MW coal-fired Maamba Power Project in Zambia. The project was one of the first African project financings for Bank of China and ICBC, and the first African power project with a Sinosure political risk guarantee. Power Deal of the Year 2016, World Finance - Project Finance Awards, Middle East and Africa Power Deal of the Year 2015, PFI Awards and African Power Deal of the Year 2015, IJ Global Awards
- Al Fujeij Wind Farm, Jordan: Advising Korea Electric Power Company (KEPCO) on the development and financing of the 89.1MW Al Fujeij Wind Farm in Jordan including the preparation and negotiation of construction and finance documentation which included an EPC term sheet, Turbine Supply Agreement and the Service and Availability Agreement. Middle East Renewables Deal of the Year 2016, IJ Global Awards
- Vinh Tan 1, Vietnam: Advising China Southern Power Grid as sponsor and Vinh Tan 1 Power as borrower on the US$1.404 billion financing for the development of the 1200MW Vinh Tan 1 coal-fired power project in Vietnam. Project Finance Deal of the Year 2016, IFLR Asia Awards and Project Finance Deal of the Year 2016, Asian Legal Business Awards
- Star Energy, Indonesia: Advising a consortium comprising Star Energy, EGCO and AC Energy on its acquisition of Chevron's geothermal assets in Indonesia and the Philippines
- Payra power station, Bangladesh: Advising Export-Import Bank of China Limited on the proposed development of the 1,320MW Payra coal-fired power station to be built in the Patuakhali district in Bangladesh
- Raizen Energia Restructuring, Brazil: Advising Raizen Energia, the US$12 billion joint venture between Shell and Brazil's Cosan, the world's biggest ethanol-from-sugarcane producer on its restructuring
- Aurora and Sarco Wind Acquisitions, Chile: Advising Actis and its renewable energy platform group, Aela Energía, on the acquisition of 129MW Aurora and 170MW Sarco wind projects from Mainstream Renewable Power Limited.
- Colonia Arias wind farm project, Uruguay: Advising IDB and the China Co-Financing Fund for Latin America and the Caribbean in the financing of a wind farm with 70MW of installed capacity to be located in the region of Flores in Uruguay and all activities and Property associated with the project, including the design, development, financing, construction, ownership, operation and maintenance. Best Renewable Energy Financing 2016, LatinFinance Project & Infrastructure Awards.