We are a trusted advisor to the world's leading insurers and reinsurers on complex transactions, disputes, financing, regulatory and commercial matters. Our international team of over 200 fee-earners offers first class domestic and cross-border advice across the world’s main financial centres and the emerging markets.
We are a recognised leader in the global insurance sector. We support our clients across the full range of their legal needs including: M&A and joint ventures, establishing new operations, restructuring and run-off, financial services regulation and enforcement, development of complex insurance products, raising capital, reinsurance and alternative risk transfer, distribution, major insurance/reinsurance disputes, outsourcing and other commercial contracts.
Through our extensive network of offices in Europe, the Americas, Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Africa, we can offer an unparalleled ability to assist insurance companies throughout their global operations and on their international expansion plans.
In addition, our multi-disciplinary team includes sector experts from across our corporate and M&A, regulatory, banking & finance, capital markets, dispute resolution, antitrust, tax, real estate, IT/IP pensions and employment teams.
Reputation for acting on ground-breaking, first of a kind mandates
As a leading practice we work at the forefront of the market advising clients on the latest developments and issues facing the sector including:
- Global systemically important insurers (G-SIIs) classification and resolution planning
- Corporate governance and risk management
- Global and local market regulatory enforcement including Section 166 investigations in the UK
- Distribution of insurance products and related regulatory issues including the Retail Distribution Review (RDR) and the Insurance Mediation Directive (IMD2)
- Alternative risk transfer arrangements including Insurance Linked Securities (ILS), Value-in-Force transactions and derivatives
- Collateralised reinsurance
- Alternative investment strategies including infrastructure
- Longevity risk transfer
- Global insurance programmes
Trusted advisor to the world’s leading insurance and reinsurance companies
We advise clients from across the global life, general and reinsurance markets including Allianz, Assicurazioni Generali, AXA, Legal & General, Manulife, MetLife, Munich Re, Prudential, Swiss Re and Tokio Marine. We also advise insurance brokers, London Market participants, Bermudan based insurers, mutuals, run-off specialists and banks as counterparties to insurers.
- Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group plc (JLT), one of the world's leading suppliers of insurance and employee benefits-related advice, brokerage and associated services, on its acquisition of Towers Watson reinsurance brokerage for a cash consideration of US$250 million
- HSBC on the disposal of its general insurance businesses in Asia and Latin America, and its life insurance businesses in Taiwan and France, including associated bancassurance arrangements
- Assurant Inc on its acquisition of the renewal rights to the National Flood Insurance Write Your Own (WYO) Program business
- AMP Capital on its establishment of a joint venture funds management company with China Life Asset Management Company Limited, which is a subsidiary of China Life Insurance (Group) Company
- Watford Re Ltd., a newly-formed Bermuda-based reinsurer, and its holding company, Watford Holdings Ltd., in the formation of a unique structure and approach designed to utilise the strengths of two best-in-class underwriters and investment managers in a Bermuda reinsurance startup vehicle
- Deutsche Bank, Morgan Stanley and Raiffeisen Centrobank as joint global coordinators in connection with the Re-IPO of UNIQA Insurance Group AG, one of the leading insurance groups in Austria and Central and Eastern Europe
- Allianz Group on the acquisition of Medienfabrik, Ganghoferstrasse 66-70, in Munich, from Commerzbank Real Investment GmbH, the real estate branch of Commerzbank AG
- Legal & General on the £3.2 billion insurance of longevity risk for the BAE Systems Pension fund
- Assicurazioni Generali on the overall reorganisation of its investment activities, including launch of the new Real Estate platform Generali RE and the reorganisation of the investments funds under the UCITS IV regulations, a very innovative project that was implemented for the first time by a large insurance group in Europe
- SLH Holding on the sale of a 25.7% stake in regional insurance leader Mediterranean & Gulf Insurance & Reinsurance Company (Medgulf) to ORIX Corporation, the major listed Japanese financial institution