We are a trusted advisor to the world's leading insurers and reinsurers on complex transactions, disputes, financing, regulatory and commercial matters. We offer an award winning and top tier ranked global team of over 200 fee-earners providing first class domestic and cross-border advice across the world's main financial centres and the emerging markets.
Through our extensive global network of offices in Europe, the Americas, Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Africa, we can offer an unparalleled ability to assist insurance companies throughout their global operations and on their international expansion plans.
Our integrated cross-practice team includes sector experts from across our corporate and M&A, regulatory, banking & finance, capital markets, dispute resolution, antitrust, tax, real estate, IT/IP pensions and employment teams.
Reputation for acting on ground-breaking, first of a kind mandates
As a leading practice we work at the forefront of the market advising clients on the latest developments and issues facing the sector. We can offer clients support across the full range of their legal needs, including on:
- Large cross-border M&A transactions
- Complex reorganisation and restructuring
- Longevity risk transfers / bulk annuity buy-in
- Alternative risk transfer arrangements including Insurance Linked Securities (ILS), Value-in-Force transactions and derivatives
- Global and local market regulatory enforcement
- Major insurance/reinsurance disputes
- Distribution, outsourcing and other commercial contracts
Trusted advisor to the world's leading insurance and reinsurance companies
We advise clients from across the global life, general and reinsurance markets including Admiral, Allianz, Assicurazioni Generali, Aspen, AXA XL, Chubb, Domestic & General, Legal & General, LV=, Willis Towers Watson, MetLife, and Swiss Re. We also advise insurance brokers, London Market participants, Bermudan based insurers, mutuals, run-off specialists and banks as counterparties to insurers.
- "Clifford Chance is top of the list for insurance matters"
- "Their insights are invaluable"
- "They're really good - they have a great combination of solution-driven problem solving and really efficient transaction management."
- Insurance Legal Firm of the Year and Deal of the Year
Reactions London Market Awards 2019
- Insurance Legal Advisor of the Year
Insurance Day London Market Awards 2019
- LV= on its joint venture with Allianz, creating the UK's third largest personal insurer with over £1.7 billion annual premium income. The transaction valued the LV= general insurance business at £1.02 billion. Clifford Chance won the Legal Business Insurance Deal of the Year 2018 for this project.
- Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group plc on its recommended £4.3billion takeover by MMC Treasury Holdings (UK) Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of insurance broking and advisory company Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc. ("MMC"), listed on NYSE.
- Swiss Re on the sale of the ReAssure Group to Phoenix Group for £3.2 billion
Reorganisations / restructuring
- Insurance clients Chubb, AXA XL, AXA Partners, Admiral, Swiss Re and Domestic & General on their Brexit contingency plans
- Chubb Group on the integration of its key operating companies in Europe by way of portfolio transfers in UK and Ireland and a cross border merger, impacting around 45million policyholders
- AXA SA on the integration of the XL Group and global restructuring of the AXA XL commercial lines business following AXA's €15.3billion acquisition of XL
Longevity risk transfers / bulk annuity buy-in
- Legal & General in a trailblazing £4.4bn pensioner bulk annuity buy-in with British Airways’ Airways Pension Scheme which will cover circa 60% of all pensioner liabilities
- Legal & General on the £1.1 billion pension de-risking deal with AIB Group
ILS and alternative risk arrangements
- Neon Underwriting, SCOR, Brit Ltd and Pool Re on their UK insurance-linked securities (ILS) projects
- Transaction counsel on the formation and capital raise of alternative capital and total return vehicles including Watford Re Ltd. (initial capital raise of US$1.1 billion), Harrington Re Ltd. (initial capital raise of US$600 million), KaylaRe Ltd. (initial capital raise of US$620 million), Premia Reinsurance Ltd. (initial capital raise of US$510 million), and Fidelis Insurance Holdings Limited (initial capital raise of US$1.5 billion)
Distribution, outsourcing and other commercial contracts
- ING Group on a global partnership with AXA to provide insurance products and related services through a central digital insurance platform