Jurgen van der Meer is Partner in the Amsterdam Financial Markets Group and heads the Debt Capital Markets team and the Financial Regulatory Group in Amsterdam.
Jurgen's focus in Debt Capital Markets is on (international) debt capital markets offerings across a wide product range, including MTNs, Eurobonds, Reg S/144A, hybrids, senior and subordinated debt issuances for corporates, financial institutions and the (semi-) public sector. His experience includes all sorts of regulatory (AT1/RT1/T2) and resolution (TLAC/MREL) capital issuance by financial institutions.
- Morgan Stanley and Bank Nederlandse Gemeenten (BNG) on the issuance of BNG’s debut EUR€423.8 million Undated Deeply Subordinated Additional Tier 1 (AT1) Fixed Rate Resettable Callable Capital Securities
- Rabobank and Nederlandse Waterschapsbank (NWB) on NWB’s debut issuance of a EUR€200 million Perpetual Additional Tier 1 Loan
- The underwriters on an issue by Achmea Bank of EUR€500 million 0.875 per cent. Senior Unsecured Notes due September 2018 under its EUR€10 billion Medium Term Note Programme
- Gemalto on its debut EUR€400 million fixed rate standalone bond issue due 2021 listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange
- Volkswagen International Finance on its EUR€1.1 billion Undated Subordinated Notes subject to Interest Rate Reset with a First Call Date in 2022 and EUR€1.4 billion Undated Subordinated Notes subject to Interest Rate Reset with a First Call Date in 2030
- Deutsche Telekom International Finance on its EUR€1.75 billion 0.625 per cent. Notes due 2023, EUR€1.5 billion 1.500 per cent. Notes due 2026 and EUR€1.25 billion Floating Rate Notes due 2020, acting for, inter alia, UniCredit Bank, Banca IMI, Commerzbank, DZ Bank and LBBW
- Deutsche Bahn on its EUR€600 million dual tranche floating rate notes due 2023, acting for inter alia, Deutsche Bank, Commerzbank and DZ Bank
- Vonovia Finance on its EUR 1.25 billion 1.625 per cent. Notes due 2020, EUR 1 billion 2.250 per cent. Notes due 2023 and EUR 750 million floating rate Notes due 2017, acting for J.P. Morgan as lead manager
- Acting for major Dutch banks in relation to the creation of the Dutch national mortgage institution (Nationale Hypotheekinstelling) initiative which aims to offer an additional funding source to mortgage banks with a state backed guarantee
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Università per Stranieri Perugia, Italy / Università per Stranieri Firenze, Florence, Italy (Italian) 1993
- University of Vienna, Austria (Exchange Semester) 1997
- University of Amsterdam (Master Dutch Law) 1999
- Columbia University, New York (Exchange Semester) 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance 1999
- Admitted as an advocaat in Netherlands 2000
- Seconded to Clifford Chance Frankfurt 2004
- Counsel 2010 - 2015
- Partner since 2015
- Vereniging voor Financieel Recht (Dutch Securities Law Association)
- Vereniging Corporate Litigation
Awards and citations
- The "stellar" Jurgen van der Meer is revered by clients for his leading expertise on debt capital markets work. He advises a host of corporate clients on the placement of senior notes and hybrid bonds, as well as acting for financial institutions as arrangers' counsel.
Chambers Europe 2020
- Clients value his technical knowledge and describe him as "very responsive, available and precise in his advice"
Chambers Europe 2019
- Jurgen van der Meer is "pragmatic and hands-on" and seeks "to build wider client relationships." He has a strong regulatory practice, acting for banks and insurance companies and advising on debt capital markets and securities matters.
Chambers Europe, 2018
- "Natural problem-solver" Jurgen van der Meer is known for his strong bank-side representation in debt mandates and lauded by clients for his "attention to detail and broad thinking" as well as his ability to "think outside the box."
Chambers Europe, 2017
- Jurgen van der Meer is a "very dedicated lawyer who combines high-quality knowledge with proactivity and dedication." according to clients. He has substantial knowledge of capital securities, banking regulations and international debt offerings.
- According to clients Jurgen van der Meer "is proactive and has taken a lot of time to get to know our organisation." Others note: "He is dedicated and reachable and always thinks a step ahead." He advises on the full range of DCM work, including hybrid bonds, Eurobonds and regulatory matters.
Chambers Global 2015