Domestic strength and international know-how
Our Belgian track record goes back to 1968, and today there are 11 partners and over 40 lawyers in our full-service Brussels office. We work with clients on a range of complex questions and have particular expertise in cross-border M&A, private equity, banking, finance and capital markets.
Our work regularly makes Belgian headlines, with recent examples including:
- Advising Royal Sporting Club Anderlecht and its shareholders on the sale of the club to Belgian entrepreneur Marc Coucke
- Advising the Belgian State on the elaboration, structuring and implementation of a potential scheme to compensate private shareholders of the ARCO companies
- Advising Eneco on its acquisition of Eni Gas & Power, which made Eneco the third-largest energy supplier in Belgium
- Advising Gfi Informatique on its public takeover bid on Realdolmen, including tax structuring
- Advising KanAm Grund on the sale (including tax aspects) of 100% of the shares in KanAm Grund Square de Meeus, owner of the Square de Meeus building in Brussels, which is fully occupied by the European Parliament pursuant to a usufruct agreement
- Allianz on the sale of the entire Place de Brouckère Allianz site to BPI-Immobel and UGC, and on the acquisition of the new Allianz tower
- Advising the creditors on the restructuring, the EUR€43 million recapitalisation, and the €380 million refinancing of listed cooling tower and air treatment group Hamon
- We advised the creditors on the restructuring, recapitalisation and refinancing of Hamon, a listed cooling tower and air treatment group
- Advising Econocom on its €200 million convertible bond issue
- Advising the key shareholders of AB InBev on the financing, tax and deal structuring aspects of its acquisition of SABMiller
The high-calibre work of our talented lawyers on these and other key transactions has been recognised by consistent top-tier rankings by legal directories (Chambers, Legal 500, IFLR, Who's Who Legal).
Experts in antitrust, state-aid and regulatory matters
Our practice group specialising in merger control, behavioural antitrust, state-aid and regulatory matters is the go-to team for high-profile, bet-the-company antitrust work in Brussels. We have excellent relationships with the key EU institutions and in-depth knowledge of the technical and practical aspects of the relevant EU laws, which allows us to give clients practical, comprehensive advice that covers all jurisdictions in which they have business interests.
We provide clients with industry-focused insights and tailored advice across a wide range of sectors, but we are particularly well-known for our track record and expertise in information technology, pharmaceuticals and industrials.
Recent examples of our work include:
- Representing FairSearch, an industry coalition that is the main complainant in the EU's Google Android investigation and a leading intervener in the EU's Google Search case, as their external counsel before the European Commission. The EU's investigations into Google's abusive practices are among the most significant antitrust cases in recent years
- Advising GE in relation to its merger with Baker Hughes, involving approximately 20 merger filings across the world, and in relation to its EUR€3.2 billion sale of GE Water and Process Technologies to Suez
- Advising a number of pharmaceutical clients in the context of investigations by the UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), for example: We are advising Zoetis and Xellia Pharmaceuticals on their appeal against the CMA's infringement decision in relation to the reverse patent settlement of GSK with a generic company called Alpharma, the so-called 'pay for delay' case. We are also advising Pfizer on its defence in the high-profile excessive pricing investigation by the CMA and in its appeal against the CMA's infringement decision
- Advising KONE on the landmark damages claim brought by the EU before the Brussels Commercial Court against KONE and three other lift manufacturers in relation to a cartel infringement, established pursuant to a decision of the EU Commission
- Representing OPAP before the EU General Court in an appeal by several casinos against the European Commission's decision to clear the extension of OPAP's exclusive rights in games of chance and the licence for 35,000 video lottery terminals
Clients value our approach as much as our capabilities
We combine the flexibility of a close-knit domestic team with the sophisticated resources of an international firm. We are well-used to building cross-practice teams of lawyers from our 23-country network, and our clients’ comments suggest that they like our way of working just as much as the work we deliver:
- "I was impressed and amazed. The Clifford Chance lawyers have a lot of expertise and are available. They work to short deadlines and deliver quality quickly."
- "They do a terrific job. They know us very well, they get very close to the client. We find them very business-focused and friendly."
- "The lawyers are brilliant. It is their depth of understanding of what is going on in the real economy that makes them such an asset."
A team that works hard for our clients
Our team is made up of four partners and around 40 fee-earners, and includes lawyers qualified in English, Czech and Slovak law. We opened our Prague office in 1995 and work with domestic, regional and international clients.
Transactions that make domestic and international headlines
We take a one firm approach to our clients' needs with integrated cross-practice and cross-border teams working together to achieve success. We know how to make our resources, which include 3,400 lawyers across our international network, work for all our clients and can call on the specialised skills of globally-recognised, top-ranked lawyers to help them reach their business goals.
This way of working, and the expertise of our talented lawyers, regularly delivers headline-making results for clients.
Selected landmark transactions on which we have advised over the last couple of years include:
- Advising the arrangers and underwriters led by UniCredit Bank AG in connection with the EUR€1.6 billion syndicated financing provided to EP Infrastructure, a.s.
- Telefónica on the EUR€2.47 billion sale of its Czech and Slovakian operations to PPF Group, a Czech investment firm
- Union Investment on the acquisition and refinancing of a majority stake in the Palladium Shopping and Office Centre in Prague's central business district
- Ceskoslovenská obchodní banka, a. s., Komerční banka, a.s. and Česká spořitelna, a.s. on the CZK 10.6 billion (approx. EUR€382 million) refinancing and development facility provided to PointPark Properties (P3)
- Relating to the EUR€523 million acquisition of 11 logistics parks in the Czech Republic
Complex projects across the CEE region
Our Prague office is an integral part of our CEE network. We have close working-relationships with colleagues from across the region and with partner law firms in neighbouring countries where we do not have our own office.
The firm's reach in the region is further expanded by foreign law desks, such as our Prague-based Slovak desk which features a team of lawyers with expert knowledge and practical experience of Slovak law.
Our integrated regional practices help clients solve complex questions that involve several CEE countries.
Recent examples include:
- Advising CBRE Global Investors on the EUR€650 million sale of its CEE retail portfolio, including 11 shopping centres in the Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, and Romania
- FORTUNA in connection with the regulatory and compliance issues related to the acquisition of Hattrick Sports Group Limited, which has operations in Romania, Croatia and Spain
- Mondelez International, Inc. on the combination of its global coffee business with D.E. Master Blenders 1753 B.V to be named Jacobs Douwe Egberts
- Automotive Industries S.à.r.l. on the sale of a majority stake in AAA Auto Group N.V., the largest used car dealer in Central and Eastern Europe and operator of used car dealerships in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Russia and Hungary, to Abris Capital Partners
- NE Property Coöperatief U.A. (NEPI) on their three major acquisitions in the region:
- the shopping centre 'Aupark Piestany', Slovakia
- 'Korzo Prievidza' Shopping Centre, Slovakia
- 'Arena Centar', the largest shopping centre in Zagreb, Croatia
- Rexel on the sale of its electrical wholesale operations in Poland, Slovakia, and Estonia to Würth Group
A top tier national firm with a global network
We opened our Paris office in 1962 and are recognised as one of France's leading law firms. We have 37 partners and over 180 lawyers. Our clients include leading French and international corporates, banks and financial institutions.
We are actively involved in the French legal community and have close working-relationships with government and regulatory bodies. Many of our partners and counsel sit on working parties that advise on industry regulations and state legislation.
Our lawyers are used to working with colleagues from our network to deliver practical advice on complex issues.
Our clients come to us because of our outstanding expertise across the whole spectrum of legal products, our client-friendly approach and our 'can do' attitude.
In 2017, we were awarded 'France Law Firm of the Year' at the IFRL Europe Awards 2017. In 2016, we were awarded 'France Law Firm of the Year' at the Chambers Europe Awards for Excellence and at the IFRL Europe Awards 2016.
Our approach is tailored to our clients' industry sectors
We believe that the most effective advice is grounded in industry knowledge and local-market experience. We have established a number of global cross-practice groups that have detailed knowledge of our clients' industries and businesses and provide focused, practical and comprehensive advice.
We are known for our innovative solutions and market firsts
We provide clients with top notch legal advice in areas where our competitors simply do not have the required expertise.
We have been at the forefront of innovative solutions and market firsts. We advised the coordinating committee of senior creditors of the Group HIME / SAUR in the negotiation and the first French "lender led" implementation of the debt restructuring of the Saur Group in the framework of a mandate ad hoc and conciliation procedures.
Success in ever-changing markets
The roots of our German offices go back to 1949. Today our team of 300 lawyers includes 66 partners and we have offices in Düsseldorf, Frankfurt and Munich.
Our clients are corporates, banks and financial institutions, investors and government entities. We help them succeed in global markets where commercial, economic and legal factors change constantly.
We've built our capability to match our clients' business needs. They work in a wide range of industries, operate all over the world, and need to act decisively when opportunities or issues arise. We meet these needs with our top-grade experience, technical skills and on the ground capability.
Resources that span industries and continents
We believe that lawyers who understand their clients' industries give the most valuable legal advice. That's why we were the first firm in the German market to build global cross-practice industry groups (see Sector expertise below). Lawyers in these groups share legal know-how, offer sector-specific advice, and keep clients up to date on market and industry trends that could reshape their businesses.
Our clients rely on us for pragmatic advice and innovative solutions – wherever their businesses operate. Which is why we're used to working in multi-practice, multi-region teams combining the right resources from the firm's international network to deliver the best possible results. Recent examples of our work show our range and reach.
Committed to our clients' success
Each client, and client project, has unique needs. We aim to understand these needs at the outset and our client relationship partners make sure that we meet them in an efficient, flexible way. This approach fosters long-term client relationships with companies such as Volkswagen, Siemens, KfW, Allianz, Coca-Cola, Metro, Airbus (EADS), Pfizer, RWE and Deutsche Bank.
A leader in Italy's legal and financial markets for over 20 years
We were one of the first international law firms to open offices in Italy – Rome in 1993 and Milan in 1994. We know the Italian market well and have long experience of cross-border deals.
We have invested in our Italian offices and we are now one of the few firms who can offer clients a full-service capability. Our team of approximately 100 lawyers comprises professionals qualified to practice in Italy, the UK, and the US and all our lawyers are permanently based in Italy.
Over the last decades we have been working on a number of landmark deals and high-profile cases – among them in 1990s the privatisations of Banca di Roma, BNL, Alitalia and Autostrade. These transactions and our way of working – teams of lawyers led by highly-experienced partners – helped to change the landscape of the Italian legal market.
Italian market know-how and multi-jurisdictional experience
More than half our partners have worked together for over 20 years. Our close-knit team's well-established working relationships produce efficient, smooth-running teams. We know how to use the right resources to get the best results for clients on domestic matters and on international transactions where we regularly form extended teams with colleagues from our international network. Clients tell us that our way of working and our Italian market know-how and capability deliver the best results.
An experienced, award-winning team
We opened our Luxembourg office in 2000, merging with a well-respected local firm that was established in 1982. Today our Luxembourg team includes over 80 lawyers including 8 partners.
We have particular strengths in M&A and corporate, investment funds, regulatory, capital markets, finance and tax. Our full-service offering also includes real estate, employment, litigation and dispute resolution. And our clients know that we can – if required – call on the firm's wider resources and international network.
The Luxembourg office is recognised by the major legal directories as one of the leading firms in Luxembourg with eleven Band 1 rankings and is "renowned for advising on large and complex national and cross-border transactions."
Technical excellence and industry knowledge
Many of our clients are in the financial industry. We use our experience and carefully tuned teams to deliver technically excellent work that has the right level of partner involvement.
Several of our partners and lawyers serve on the technical committees and working groups of Luxembourg’s financial regulator, the CSSF (Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier), the ALFI (Association of the Luxembourg Fund Industry), the Luxembourg Bankers’ Association and the Luxembourg Central Bank. Our close contacts with regulators, along with our extensive market experience, mean that we can keep clients up to date on new rules and market trends and suggest the best way to approach each situation.
Effective teamwork on international transactions
Many major corporates and financial institutions use Luxembourg-based corporate entities so we regularly work on cross-border and multi-jurisdiction transactions.
Our work with Baofeng is a high-profile example of this kind of work as this project required lawyers from several of our European offices to work together as one closely-coordinated team. We advised Baofeng, a Chinese internet entertainment and technology company, and Everbright, a major Chinese financial services company, in their successful bid through the Shanghai Jinxin investment fund to acquire a 65% majority stake in MP & Silva Holding SA. MP & Silva is a leading international sports media rights group with a large portfolio of sports media rights including Europe's top leagues in football, Grand Slam tennis, motor racing and the National Football League.
We help clients navigate the technical and commercial aspects of large financings, M&A and private equity work, capital market and funds transactions, regulatory, risk and compliance issues, and litigation. Our full-service offering includes tax, employment, intellectual property, notarial and EU competition.
Everything we do is focused on helping our clients achieve their business goals and advising them how to manage the risks that are part of doing business. Recent client comments include:
- "Clifford Chance always offers the help that is needed and thrives on cross border work," says an in-house counsel working in the manufacturing sector. "The depth of experience and global nature of this outfit is impressive."
IFLR 1000, 2017
Another point of focus is the strong commitment to our local community through our corporate responsibility and pro bono work. Our lawyers are encouraged to spend at least 50 hours per year on corporate responsibility projects, for instance by providing advice to young entrepreneurs and charities free of charge. We are passionate supporters of great initiatives such as TEDxAmsterdam, Holland Festival Young, Toneelgroep Amsterdam, SAIL, the Stedelijk Museum, De Regenboog Groep and many more.
Top-tier clients and a focus on cross-border work
We are a leading firm in the Dutch market with a track record of over 40 years and a can-do attitude. But what makes us stand out is that we are as well known for our domestic work as we are for our complex international transactions and the reach and resources of our international network.
We have a well-established sector focus and our team of over 130 lawyers and 22 partners includes specialists who advise on Dutch, UK and international law. Clifford Chance is considered to be one of the best firms in the Netherlands by clients and peers alike.
Working on front-page private equity and M&A deals
Our clients include Shell, KLM, Staples, DSM, PGGM, ABN AMRO, CVC and KKR and we are considered a Tier One firm for transactional work. Several of our partners have been nominated for Best M&A Lawyer in the Netherlands over the last few years.
Recent examples of our Amsterdam-led international work include advising Staples on the sale of a controlling interest in Staples' European operations to a Cerberus affiliate; ABN AMRO on landmark first ever Formosa Tier 2 bond following rule change and Refresco Group’s three largest shareholders in the second post-IPO sell-down.
Extensive banking, finance and capital markets experience
Banks, financial institutions, corporates and private equity houses such as ABN AMRO, ING, Rabobank, Citi, BNP Paribas, LeasePlan, PON, CVC, Montagu and Gilde rely on our technical excellence, extensive experience, pragmatic advice and client-focused approach. Among other areas, our Finance and Capital Markets group (Financial Markets Group) covers: secured lending, restructurings, asset finance, commodities finance, acquisition finance and project finance. Together with our clients we are at the forefront of thought-leading initiatives in, for example, alternative sources of financing and private placements.
The leading directories widely recognise our quality by ranking us Tier One.
Addressing the challenges and conflicts that clients face
The carefully tuned Dispute Resolution team handles an extensive range of corporate, commercial and financial disputes, including securities litigation for Bank of America Merrill Lynch (the Fortis case) and acting for investors in proceedings relating to the bankruptcy of Yukos Oil.
Our close-knit cross-practice Financial Regulatory and Compliance group guides both financial and corporate clients through the maze of legislative and regulatory changes they face. The Dutch State and regulatory authorities, including the Dutch Central Bank, come to us for our competence and skills.
An innovative leader in the Dutch funds market
We have built a strong Funds group integrated with our TPE (Tax, Pensions and Employment) specialists to help clients get fast, effective answers to complex multi-jurisdictional questions. Working for leading organisations such as PGGM and AlpInvest, the group has earned a reputation for innovative work and market firsts, including the development of new pension vehicles.
Well-established in the Polish market
We opened our Warsaw office in 1992 and today we have a team of 80+ lawyers, including eight partners. Most of our lawyers are qualified in Polish law, several are dual qualified, and all are fluent in Polish and English. We have close working relationships with leading banks and financial institutions, and top-tier corporates.
Our high-profile work has earned us a top-tier reputation. Chambers Europe 2017 ranks us Band 1 in eight separate areas – three more than our nearest competitor.
Top-tier work across a range of sectors and legal areas
We work with domestic and international clients. Polish companies value the way we put the firm's resources to work on their behalf. International companies know that our on‑the-ground capability delivers results. And all our clients rely on our technical excellence, pragmatic advice, and client-focused approach.
Our track-record shows the range and calibre of our work.
We are advisors on the most widely publicised transactions, as well as on the largest and most innovative. We have advised on:
- The largest public offering on the Polish market in 2016 (Alior Bank's issue of 220 million series I shares)
- The largest ever M&A transaction in Poland (the USD$3.253 billion acquisition of the Allegro Group, the largest online marketplace and non-food shopping destination in Poland)
- One of the largest transactions in the banking sector in Europe in recent years (the acquisition of 32.8% of shares in Bank Pekao)
- The biggest issue in history of Eurobonds with an investment rating made by a Polish enterprise (PKN Orlen's EMTN issue of up to EUR€750 million)
- The world's first sovereign green bond (the Polish Treasury's EUR€750 million green bonds issue)
- The first issue of hybrid unsecured subordinated registered bonds by a Polish entity (Tauron's EUR€190 million bonds issue)
- The transaction with the highest rate of return in the post-1989 history of the Warsaw commercial property market (GGH's sale of the Prime office building in Warsaw)
A client-focused approach
These client comments are from Chambers Europe 2017:
- "The team is fantastic and really committed. They think ahead and are always a step in front of the process. They come up with solutions."
- "They are absolutely top-notch. The responsiveness, quality of work and communication are at the highest level."
- "They understand our business and act as real business advisers."
- "They are very diligent and take care of their clients' interests. They are business-oriented but the priority is to make sure the client is aware of risks."
- "At Clifford Chance, their first draft is excellent; they are very flexible in terms of timing; they take the lead and handle negotiations well."
- "They have good communication skills and are business-oriented which is helpful. They understand the commercial side of a project."
- "They have great experience in negotiations and helped us to find solutions."
- "The team is switched-on, experienced and well prepared."
- "I really enjoyed working with them, they are reliable and timely. We keep each other informed; the flow of communication is good."
- "They are very fast and responsive, take the initiative in pushing processes forward and delivering good content."
- "They give us the feeling that everything is under control."
- "They are experienced within the full scope of real estate law. They have a subtle understanding of details."
- "They really make my life easier. I fully trust them."
- "A solid player."
- "They are able to represent client interests and also play a role of a mediator, seeking a compromise between the two sides."
- "I find that the team works well, is responsive to our requests and delivers advice proactively."
Local expertise and global reach
In 2006, we merged with a leading local firm to form Clifford Chance Badea and today 45 lawyers work in our Bucharest office. We're a leading firm in the domestic market and regularly work on complex domestic and cross-border mandates, often in extended teams that include colleagues from our international network. Our full-service offering covers banking & finance, capital markets, corporate and M&A, real estate and litigation, and our practice areas are regularly ranked in Tier One in the legal directories.
An experienced team that delivers demanding transactions
Our senior lawyers have worked together for over 10 years and this close-knit team has seen, and has often been closely involved in, many changes in Romania’s legal and business landscape. We have worked together on a wide range of high-profile transactions and helped write national laws and regulations that govern capital markets, securitisations, insolvency, covered bonds, global depository receipts and the structuring of PPP projects.
Clients rely on this range and depth of experience when they turn to us for advice on demanding, often first-of-a-kind, deals. Two innovative examples from 2013 include the USD$517 million dual-listing IPO of Romgaz shares on the Bucharest Stock Exchange and GDRs on the London Stock Exchange – the first time shares in a state-owned company have been sold on an international exchange, and the EUR€122 million bond-issue by UniCredit Țiriac, a Romanian retail bank, the largest ever in the Romanian market.
Recent high profile regional and international deals include Aviva’s sale of its Romanian operations to US insurance giant MetLife in 2013 and Anheuser-Busch InBev’s USD$2.2 billion sale of its Central European operations to CVC Capital Partners in 2009.
We have also worked on every Romanian sovereign-debt issue in the last 15 years, including the establishment of the EUR€7 billion MTN Programme.
Clients value our international standards
We want to help clients reach their commercial goals. To do this, we deliver pragmatic advice that is based on our experience and technical skills and backed up by extensive resources. However, clients tell us that it is our focus on service and the way we work to the highest international standards that sets us apart:
- "A truly international firm that is able to deliver a crisp, commercially focused level of service."
- "A quite great experience, extremely efficient, quick, punctual and correct... They applied international standards to local regulations. It was an innovative and creative deal, as it was the first of its kind."
- "I appreciate the firm's capacity to identify solutions and its ability to apply international concepts to the local market."
- "One of the best firms I’ve worked with anywhere on the globe."
Over two decades of Russian know-how
We know Russia well and use our experience of Russia’s fast-moving business and legal environment to help clients achieve their business goals and to manage the risk that inevitably comes with this.
We understand the market and the key players, as well as the legal framework. We advise Russian companies on their domestic and international business and work with international corporates looking to do business in the Russian market, keeping ourselves at the sharp end of legislative change. For example, we have advised on industry submissions on a suite of laws designed to develop the local financial infrastructure, and on the effective rewriting of the Russian Civil Code.
An on the ground capability that delivers
Our Moscow-based team includes six partners and around 60 lawyers in total. We work across Russia and the CIS states, including the central Asian republics, and our full-service offering ranges from finance and M&A to tax and litigation. While over a third of our lawyers are qualified in Russian law, all are experienced in working with and under English law, and we can advise clients in both languages. And when we work on international transactions we can call on the expertise of over 3,200 lawyers in our international network.
We have what it takes to protect your position, to find solutions, and to deliver the deal in even the most complex domestic and cross-border transactions.
For instance, Clifford Chance Moscow advised 18 international banks on the USD$2.5 billion financing for Norilsk Nickel, the world's leading producer of nickel and palladium, and Yamal LNG, a joint venture between NOVATEK, Total and CNPC, on project financing in relation to construction and procurement aspects of a major new LNG liquefaction plant and related facilities to be located on the Yamal Peninsula (the project involves one of the largest procurement contracts in the oil and gas sector, the Russian Government has declared the project to be of national interest).
Other notable examples include advising Pfizer on its award winning long term strategic collaboration with Russian pharmaceutical company NovaMedica and successful representation of Sberbank in Appellate Court in a landmark derivatives case, resulting in the court's dismissal of Transneft's USD$1.1 billion claim for invalidation of FX barrier options.
The teamwork and the resources that get the best possible results
When we work on complex multi-jurisdiction matters we work in extended teams that include colleagues from other practice groups and jurisdictions. We’ve learnt that this kind of teamwork gets the best results. It helps us get the most out of our own resources, it helps clients reach their business goals and it also helps to keep costs down.
We find that the closer we work with clients, the more effective we can be. So we invest time and effort in building close working relationships. We want to understand your business drivers, talk through your plans and ideas, and find the right way to tailor our team and advice to your needs.
A market-leading team, delivering value to clients. Creative, proactive, efficient and accurate
We've been established in Spain for over 36 years. We opened our first office in Madrid in 1980 and our Barcelona office in 1993. Today we are Spain’s market-leading international firm with 24 partners, 150 lawyers, and 28 Tier One rankings in the 2017 editions of Legal 500 and Chambers Europe. Our work on top-tier transactions and our extensive experience in Spanish markets has helped us form close relationships with regulators, government agencies and leading international companies.
This combination of domestic and international experience means that our clients get the transactional capability of an international firm with the on the ground know-how and connections of a long-established Spanish firm.
We understand cross-border transactions
Our team regularly works with colleagues from our international network on complex multi-jurisdictional transactions. And we stay in close contact with our offices in the Americas .
- "The firm in Spain co-ordinates with the offices worldwide and is exceptionally good at doing so." "They have cross-border capabilities as well as in-depth knowledge of domestic legislation."
Chambers Europe 2017
We build the team that fits the client's needs
Our experience has taught us how to work efficiently on complex projects and ensure that we use our resources – and our clients' time – as effectively as possible. And clients say that our approach and our talented lawyers deliver the right results.
We work closely with our top-tier clients, addressing the challenges and conflicts they face, being innovative in the solutions proposed, advising on front-page deals, and contributing when necessary with a cross-border service.
A focus on efficiency
We deliver what our clients need in the most commercia, pragmatic and efficient way possible. We regularly partner with clients to examine the complete end-to-end process of regular legal mandates so that we can identify more efficient ways of working together.
Our approach is tailored to our clients' industry sectors
We believe that the most effective advice is grounded in industry knowledge and local-market experience. We have established a number of global cross-practice groups that have detailed knowledge of our clients’ industries and businesses and provide focused, practical and comprehensive advice.
- "They are just the best - it is a very big, respected and creative team which gets good results for business."
Chambers Europe 2017
- "They always respond in a timely, effectve manner and are proactive."
Chambers Europe 2017
- "All of them are great fun to work with and are very hard workers."
Chambers Europe 2017
Awards and milestones
We are the leading international law firm in Spain, according to Chambers Europe and Legal 500 with 12 and 16 tier-one categories in 2017 respectively.
- Luis Alonso received the ILO Client Choice 2017 Award for "Best M&A lawyer" in Spain last February, granted by the International Law Office (ILO) / Lexology.
- José Guardo is ranked as "Star Individual"
Chambers Europe 2017: Spain – Projects
- Alberto Manzanares is recognized as Senior Statesman
Chambers Europe 2017: Spain – Banking & Finance, Project Finance, and Projects
- Miquel Montañá is ranked as "Star Individual"
Chambers Europe 2017: Spain – Intellectual Property, Life Sciences
- Jaime Velázquez received the Expansión Jurídico 2017 Award for "Best Lawyer of the Year"
- Spain Law Firm of the Year
- European M&A Legal Adviser of the Year
- Spanish Firm of the Year – Intellectual Property Litigation
Managing Intellectual Property Awards 2016
Our clients include leading Turkish and international corporates, banks and financial institutions, investors and government entities.
Our high-profile domestic and international work has built our market-leading reputation and we combine our vast experience in the Turkish market with the reach and resources of the firm’s international network.
An international capability grounded in local know-how
We keep a long-standing commitment to Turkey that has given us a deep understanding of the Turkish market and unparalleled expertise in relation to cross-border transactions. After more than 30 years of advising domestic and international clients on Turkey related matters, we have been operating on the ground in Istanbul since 2011 in cooperation with Yegin Ciftci Attorney Partnership ("Yegin Ciftci").
Our Istanbul Office focuses on a wide range of infrastructure, energy, finance, capital markets and M&A work where Clifford Chance and Yegin Ciftci already enjoy a strong reputation.
The highest level of service across the entire legal spectrum
A local presence and established relations with key players in the Turkish market are key for successfully completing transactions. We have built our capability to match our clients' business needs work in a wide range of industries, operate all over the world, and need to act decisively when opportunities or issues arise. We meet these needs with our top-grade experience, technical skills and on the ground capability. We use our industry experience, global reach and innovative thinking to help them reach their business goals.
Our Istanbul office is an integral part of our network
We know how to use the right resources to get the best results for clients on domestic matters and on international transactions where we regularly form extended teams with colleagues from our international network. We have close working-relationships with colleagues from around the globe to deliver practical advice on complex issues. We use our international reach, technical excellence and client-friendly approach to deliver complex transactions and build longstanding client relationships.
Our English law capability and, through Yegin Ciftci, our local law expertise, sets us apart in the Turkish market. Our ability to offer both Turkish and English law advice in one single firm streamlines the process for our clients and provides significant efficiency savings. Our lawyers have excellent knowledge of local market trends and practice. We are the go-to law firm for banking and finance, project finance, mergers and acquisitions and capital markets.
A team with a proven track record
We take a one firm approach to our clients' needs with integrated cross-practice and cross-border teams working together to achieve success. We know how to make our resources, which include 3,400 lawyers across our international network, work for all our clients and can call on the specialised skills of globally-recognised, top-ranked lawyers to help them reach their business goals. Our lawyers have first-hand experience of the technical and practical aspects of the Turkish market and are familiar with international best practice, used to complexity and to working in extended teams.
Unrivalled experts in key growth sectors in Turkey
Over the last decades we have been working on a number of landmark deals and high-profile cases and hold an unrivalled expertise in key growth sectors in Turkey
- Energy & Infrastructure: We have an in-depth understanding of the regulatory environment and commercial drivers. We regularly advise sponsors and banks on the development and financing of PPP Healthcare projects and those that include ports, airports, tunnels, hospitals, bridges, roads and railways.
- Consumer Goods & Retail: We support our clients in this sector in all key areas of their business, from strategic growth and divestments to commercial relationships, regulatory compliance, strategic acquisitions, disposals and major financings.
- Private Equity: We have market-leading experience in all aspects of private equity transactions and regularly advise both local and international players on buyout and growth capital transactions across numerous sectors. We represent a wide range of global, regional and emerging markets financial investors, including private equity houses, banks, specialist infrastructure and private equity real estate funds and other financial institutions.
- Technology, Media & Communications: We bring the right mix of industry knowledge and experience to your TMT transactions. The team provides transactional and regulatory advice in connection with mergers and acquisitions, compliance, anti-trust and competition, financing and capital markets.
Clifford Chance has advised on Ukrainian transactions since 1991. Since 1 December 2015 Clifford Chance has a best friend's arrangement with Redcliffe Partners based in Kyiv. Redcliffe Partners made up of the senior Ukrainian lawyers previously forming part of Clifford Chance's Kyiv office. This is supported by a wider Ukrainian desk made up of lawyers located in our London, Warsaw and Istanbul offices who all have extensive experience of transactions in Ukraine.
The team is exceptionally well-positioned to advise on Ukraine-related matters across a range of practice areas, including: Antitrust, Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate/M&A, Debt Restructuring & Insolvency, International Arbitration, Litigation, Real Estate. It has recently increased its capabilities to include advising on Compliance and Data Protection, Intellectual Property and Tax.
Full-service offering from top-ranked teams
We have London roots that go back to the early 1800s. Today we work closely with domestic and international companies, financial institutions, regulators, and government and public-sector bodies.
Our clients have access to top-tier legal advice across the full spectrum. In 2016, the Legal 500 UK ranked us tier one in 31 categories, more than any other law firm in the UK. We are well known for our work in finance and the debt and equity capital markets, as well as corporate advisory and M&A work; litigation and dispute resolution; real estate; and tax, pensions and employment.
A capability that delivers high-profile results
We have invested in order to build a resource that meets our clients' needs. Our London team is integrated with our international network of offices – in 2017, Chambers Global awarded us more global tier one rankings than any other firm.
This gives us the ability to field multi-practice, multi-jurisdictional teams to address complex issues within tight timescales.
This capability delivers results for our clients on business critical matters. Recent examples include advising Informa PLC on its acquisition of Penton Business Media Holdingsand Citi in relation to the bank's successful defence of Terra Firma's GBP 1.5bn law suit in the High Court.
A focus on efficiency
Our ethos is to strive to deliver what our clients need in the most commercial, pragmatic and efficient way possible. We regularly partner with clients to examine the complete end-to-end process of regular legal mandates so that we can identify more efficient ways of working together. In 2018, we acquired a team of 60 paralegal level legal advisors in Newcastle, formerly part of the award-winning CAS (Carillion Advice Services). This team brings extensive experience in unbundling, developing processes and applying the latest in legal tech, complementing our existing client service model.
For information about our approach, please visit Delivering value to our clients.
Highly rated by clients and competitors
We believe in long-term client relationships and we invest time and energy to understand our clients' businesses, priorities, and their working culture. Comments in independent legal directories suggest that clients appreciate the way we work as much as the results we deliver:
- "What stands out is that they have their finger on the pulse of market developments, not just legal issues but also market and financial developments."
Chambers UK 2017
- "Their commerciality sets them apart: they can apply the law to business situations and are very good at understanding a company's inner workings."
Chambers UK 2017
- "They provide a quality service. They have high-calibre partners who are prepared to invest time in getting to know us."
Chambers UK 2017
Europe regional coverage
Our market leading European capability gives clients access to the local knowledge of a top-tier national firm, with the cross-border resources of an international network.
Delivering market leading advice at national and European levels
Clients benefit from the breadth of our European team, working out of our international network across the region. We are a top-tier firm in every European country in which we operate. We help clients understand the local markets, key players, and legal frameworks that matter to their businesses. We often handle cross-border deals, which means our clients receive advice from lawyers who regularly work in extended multi-practice, multi-office teams.
Understanding our clients through sector focus
We work closely with clients on the legal and commercial issues that are critical to their businesses. This keeps us at the forefront of industry developments. We have built global sector teams, which share knowledge to keep clients up to date on sector trends. Combined with our European and international reach, our deep sector expertise gets the best possible results for our clients.
Client-focused and forward thinking
We deliver these results through close working relationships with our clients, supported by seamless collaboration across practice group and geographic borders. Client comments are often as much about the way we work as they are about the quality of our advice. We invest heavily to ensure that clients benefit from our formidable knowledge and market insights, that they have access to the best team for the job, and that we bring the right processes and advanced technologies to save time and money for our clients. This commitment to creating value for our clients sits at the heart of our firm.
- Advised FairSearch on the European Commission investigation leading it to impose the record EUR€2.4 billion EU fine on Google for illegal search manipulation practices in a key online sector, comparison shopping – a service that allows users to compare product features, prices, and availability from a wide selection of online retailers
- Advising Airbus Group on the finalisation of its 50/50 Joint Venture with Safran, with the Airbus Safran Launchers becoming a fully-fledged operational company. This final step was the culmination of an ambitious strategic initiative to reshape the launcher industry in Europe and better serve European interests in relation to space access
- Successfully represented Sberbank in the Appellate Court in a landmark derivatives case, resulting in the court's dismissal of Transneft's USD$1.1 billion claim for invalidation of FX barrier options
- Clients are quick to comment on the firm's consistently strong international offering: "The level of quality is there in any country in which I have worked with Clifford Chance." Another source affirms that "they are very committed. I would say that when we work with them we know we are in good hands; they deliver an extremely high quality of service."
Chambers Europe 2017
- Clients say: "The teams at Clifford Chance offer great flexibility, availability, and good communication between the offices when different jurisdictions are involved." They also appreciate that "the deadlines are always met" and add that "the teams work together harmoniously, with good communication and reactivity, which makes the client confident that transactions can be successfully achieved."
Chambers Europe 2017
- Clients particularly value the consistency of quality across the firm's famed global network, describing the firm as "a large, well-oiled machine which gives you the same service wherever you go." On a similar note, a source underlines that "the international network is very helpful" and appreciates that "the firm co-operates easily with foreign clients."
Chambers Europe 2017
- Clients report that on cross-border mandates the firm's advice "is completely seamless, to the extent that you don't know which office you are working with."
Chambers Europe 2017