Domestic strength and international know-how
Our Belgian track record goes back to 1968, and today there are 11 partners and over 40 lawyers in our full-service Brussels office. We work with clients on a range of complex questions and have particular expertise in cross-border M&A, private equity, real estate, banking, finance and capital markets.
Our work regularly makes Belgian headlines, with recent examples including:
- Advising a consortium on the corporate, finance and public law aspects of its acquisition of Euroports, a major port terminal operator.
- Advising the successful bidder on its acquisition of Macquarie's stake in Brussels Airport.
- Advising management of Armonea on the sale of the company to Colisée and their proposed investment in Colisée.
- Advising the EIB on the financing of the Liège Tram project.
- Advising various major banks, investment firms and financial institutions on the design and implementation of their Brexit strategy.
- Acting for Airbus in Belgian civil proceedings brought by the liquidators of Sabena in relation to a multi-million dollar order of aircraft.
- Advising Lucerne, a minority shareholder in Telenet, in respect of its campaign against Liberty Global, the majority shareholder.
- Advising EuroAsia on the development and construction of the EuroAsia Interconnector, a flagship project in the European energy market. The project will connect several European and Asian countries, beginning with mainland Greece, Crete, Cyprus and Israel.
- Advising Gfi Informatique on its public takeover bid on Realdolmen, including tax structuring.
- Advising the creditors on the restructuring, the €43 million recapitalisation, and the €380 million refinancing of listed cooling tower and air treatment group Hamon.
- Advising AB InBev on the launch of tender offers for up to US$16.5 billion aggregate purchase price of twelve series of USD Notes.
- Advising the underwriters on Solvay’s placement of a perpetual hybrid bond for an aggregate nominal amount of €300 million.
- Advising Materialise on its US$50 million secondary offering and on the entry into its share capital of chemistry giant BASF.
- Advising AIMCo on the purchase (including tax aspects) of 100% of the shares in the company which owns the Docks Bruxsel shopping centre.
- Advising ATREAM and Home Invest on the acquisition of the Sun Parks leisure park in De Haan on the Belgian coast.
- Advising Primonial on the acquisition of 75% of Aedifica’s apartment portfolio.
- Advising an international group in the context of an unprecedented tax dispute with the Belgian tax authorities.
- Advising Zoetis on a collective dismissal impacting around 80 positions, including the internal and external communication, the calculation of the restructuring budget, the negotiation of the social plan with the unions, and full implementation.
The high-calibre work of our talented lawyers on these and other key transactions is recognised in consistent top-tier rankings by major legal directories such as Chambers, Legal 500 and IFLR.
Experts in antitrust, state aid and regulatory matters
Our practice group specialising in merger control, behavioural antitrust, state aid and regulatory matters is the go-to team for high-profile, bet-the-company antitrust work in Brussels. We have excellent relationships with the key EU institutions and in-depth knowledge of the technical and practical aspects of the relevant EU laws, which allows us to provide our clients with practical, comprehensive advice that covers all jurisdictions in which they have business interests.
We give clients industry-focused insights and tailored advice across a wide range of sectors, but we are particularly well-known for our track record and expertise in information technology, pharmaceuticals and industrials.
Recent examples of our work include:
- Representing FairSearch, an industry coalition that is the main complainant in the EU's Google Android investigation and a leading intervener in the EU's Google Search case, as their external counsel before the European Commission. Both cases resulted in the imposition of record-breaking fines, and these investigations are undoubtedly among the most significant antitrust cases of recent years
- Advising GE on over 100 acquisitions and joint ventures, including in relation to its merger with Baker Hughes, involving approximately 20 merger filings across the world, and in relation to its €3.2 billion sale of GE Water and Process Technologies to Suez
- Advising a number of pharmaceutical clients in the context of investigations by the UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA). For example, we advised Zoetis and Xellia Pharmaceuticals in their appeal against the CMA's infringement decision in relation to the reverse patent settlement of GSK with a generic company called Alpharma, the so-called 'pay for delay' case. We are also advised Pfizer on its defence in a high-profile excessive pricing investigation by the CMA and in its appeal against the CMA's infringement decision
- Advising KONE on the landmark damages claim brought by the European Commission before the Brussels Commercial Court against KONE and three other lift manufacturers in relation to a cartel infringement, established pursuant to a decision of the EU Commission
An approach our clients value as highly as our capabilities
We combine the flexibility of a close-knit domestic team with the sophisticated resources of an international firm. We are well-used to building cross-practice teams of lawyers from our 23-country network, and our clients’ comments suggest that they like our way of working just as much as the results we deliver:
- "The team is praised for its detailed knowledge of the market, quick turnaround time and straightforward, to-the-point communication, as well as its good depth of resources and excellent cross-border capabilities."
Chambers Europe 2019
- "The team is extremely responsive, practical, and really helpful on the strategic side. They provide strategic advice in terms of how to get deals done."
Chambers Europe, 2018
- "They do a terrific job. They know us very well, they get very close to the client. We find them very business-focused and friendly."
Chambers Europe, 2017
- "I was impressed and amazed. The Clifford Chance lawyers have a lot of expertise and are available. They work to short deadlines and deliver quality quickly."
Chambers Europe, 2016
- Legal entity:
A team that works hard for our clients
Our team is made up of four partners and around 40 fee-earners, and includes lawyers qualified in English, Czech and Slovak law. We opened our Prague office in 1995 and work with domestic, regional and international clients.
Transactions that make domestic and international headlines
We take a one firm approach to our clients' needs with integrated cross-practice and cross-border teams working together to achieve success. We know how to make our resources, which include 3,300 lawyers across our international network, work for all our clients and can call on the specialised skills of globally-recognised, top-ranked lawyers to help them reach their business goals.
This way of working, and the expertise of our talented lawyers, regularly delivers headline-making results for clients.
Selected highlight transactions on which we have recently advised on include:
- Goldman Sachs International in its role as the lead bookrunner on the refinancing, by way of a €680 million senior secured notes issuance, of the residential portfolio of RESIDOMO, s.r.o., a real estate investment company that manages residential accommodation in the city of Ostrava and neighbouring cities in the Moravian-Silesian region of the Czech Republic.
- A key shareholder on the sale of Škoda Transportation a.s., a major Czech producer and supplier of rail vehicles for both the railway and municipal transport, via the sale of Cyprus-based holding company CEIL (Central Europe Industries) LTD to PPF a.s., the Czech investment group. In 2016, Skoda Transportation generated revenue of CZK 15.7bn (approx. €600m).
- Europa Real Estate on the sale of its 100% shareholding interest in Hadovka Office Park in Prague.
- the arrangers and underwriters led by UniCredit Bank AG in connection with the EUR€1.6 billion syndicated financing provided to EP Infrastructure, a.s.
- Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited (IVL), one of the world's leading producers in the intermediate petrochemicals industry and a leading global manufacturer of wool yarns, in connection with acquisition of Kordárna Plus, a.s., a Czech-based industrial textile producer and a leading European producer of tire cord fabrics.
- Československá obchodní banka, a. s. on the financing of the acquisition of PepsiCo group entities in the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary by Czech soft drinks maker Karlovarske mineralni vody (KMV).
- KKCG Investments AG on the acquisition and related financing of a majority stake in AutoCont Group, the largest supplier of information and communication technologies in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
Complex projects across the CEE region
Our Prague office is an integral part of our CEE network. We have close working-relationships with colleagues from across the region and with partner law firms in neighbouring countries where we do not have our own office.
The firm's reach in the region is further expanded by foreign law desks, such as our Prague-based Slovak desk which features a team of lawyers with expert knowledge and practical experience of Slovak law.
Our integrated regional practices help clients solve complex questions that involve several CEE countries.
Recent examples include:
- NEPI in connection with its multibillion Euro CEE merger with Rockcastle, which resulted in the largest CEE retail real estate company, and one of the top real estate investors in Continental Europe
- Fortbet Holding Limited owned by Penta Investments Limited on its tender offer for all shares in Fortuna Entertainment Group N.V., the leading regulated sports betting and gaming multi-channel operator in the CEE region. Fortuna is a Dutch company listed on the Warsaw and Prague Stock Exchanges
- China Investment Corporation (CIC) on the Czech aspects of the €12.25bn acquisition of European warehouses and logistics business Logicor from Blackstone, the second-largest European real estate transaction on record
- Mitsui & Co., Ltd. on the sale auction process of a 49% stake in Aqualia Infraestructuras Inženýring, s.r.o. and an indirect interest in Severomoravské vodovody a kanalizace Ostrava (SmVaK), a Czech Republic-based company engaged in supply of drinking water (Aqualia Czech, S.L.) to FCC Aqualia, S.A. ("FCC Aqualia"), a Spain-based water management company
- AEW Europe on the refinancing of the existing intra-group indebtedness relating to its €1bn pan-European logistics platform
- CBRE Global Investors on the €650 million sale of its CEE retail portfolio, including 11 shopping centres in the Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, and Romania
- FORTUNA in connection with the regulatory and compliance issues related to the acquisition of Hattrick Sports Group Limited, which has operations in Romania, Croatia and Spain
- Automotive Industries S.à.r.l. on the sale of a majority stake in AAA Auto Group N.V., the largest used car dealer in Central and Eastern Europe and operator of used car dealerships in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Russia and Hungary, to Abris Capital Partners
- Legal entity:
Our Paris office opened in 1962 and is recognised as one the 'go to' law firm in France. We have more than 50 years of unrivalled experience advising domestic and international clients. Our team is composed of over 190 lawyers, including 38 partners, 37 counsel and approximately 120 associates. Our clients include leading French and international corporations, banks and financial institutions.
We are actively involved in the French legal community and have close working-relationships with government and regulatory bodies. Many of our partners and counsel sit on working parties that advise on industry regulations and state legislation. Our lawyers are used to working with colleagues from our network to deliver practical advice on complex issues. Our clients come to us because of our outstanding expertise across the whole spectrum of legal products, our client-friendly approach and our 'can do' attitude.
In 2017, we were awarded 'France Law Firm of the Year' at the IFRL Europe Awards 2017. In 2016, we were awarded 'France Law Firm of the Year' at the Chambers Europe Awards for Excellence and at the IFRL Europe Awards 2016. Our Paris Office also contributed to the obtaining by the Firm of the IFLR European Award "International Law Firm of the Year" in 2019. Our deals are regularly recognised by clients, peers and legal community by Awards of different legal market directories.
Our approach is tailored to our clients' industry sectors
We believe that the most effective advice is grounded in industry knowledge and local-market experience. We have established a number of global cross-practice groups which have detailed knowledge of our clients' industries and businesses and provide focused, practical and comprehensive advice.
We are known for our innovative solutions and market firsts
We provide clients with top notch legal advice in areas where our competitors simply do not have the required expertise. We have been at the forefront of innovative solutions and market firsts. We advised Natixis in connection with the first Equity Bridge Facility qualifying as Green Loan under the LMA Green Loan Framework for ICAWOOD, a fund launched in 2019 by ICAMAP and Ivanhoé Cambridge to develop new-generation low-carbon offices in the Greater Paris region. This deal was the first Green Loan type of financing of the kind; the first Fund Equity Bridge Facility to comply with the LMA Green Loan Framework.
- Legal entity:
Success in ever-changing markets
The roots of our German offices go back to 1949. Today our team of 300 lawyers includes 66 partners and we have offices in Düsseldorf, Frankfurt and Munich.
Our clients are corporates, banks and financial institutions, investors and government entities. We help them succeed in global markets where commercial, economic and legal factors change constantly.
We've built our capability to match our clients' business needs. They work in a wide range of industries, operate all over the world, and need to act decisively when opportunities or issues arise. We meet these needs with our top-grade experience, technical skills and on the ground capability.
Resources that span industries and continents
We believe that lawyers who understand their clients' industries give the most valuable legal advice. That's why we were the first firm in the German market to build global cross-practice industry groups (see Sector expertise below). Lawyers in these groups share legal know-how, offer sector-specific advice, and keep clients up to date on market and industry trends that could reshape their businesses.
Our clients rely on us for pragmatic advice and innovative solutions – wherever their businesses operate. Which is why we're used to working in multi-practice, multi-region teams combining the right resources from the firm's international network to deliver the best possible results. Recent examples of our work show our range and reach.
Committed to our clients' success
Each client, and client project, has unique needs. We aim to understand these needs at the outset and our client relationship partners make sure that we meet them in an efficient, flexible way. This approach fosters long-term client relationships with companies such as Volkswagen, Siemens, KfW, Allianz, Coca-Cola, Metro, Airbus (EADS), Pfizer, RWE and Deutsche Bank.
- Legal entity:
A leader in Italy's legal and financial markets for over 20 years
We were one of the first international law firms to open offices in Italy – Rome in 1993 and Milan in 1994. We know the Italian market well and have long experience of cross-border deals.
We have invested in our Italian offices and we are now one of the few firms who can offer clients a full-service capability. Our team of approximately 100 lawyers comprises professionals qualified to practice in Italy, the UK, and the US and all our lawyers are permanently based in Italy.
Over the last decades we have been working on a number of landmark deals and high-profile cases – among them in 1990s the privatisations of Banca di Roma, BNL, Alitalia and Autostrade. These transactions and our way of working – teams of lawyers led by highly-experienced partners – helped to change the landscape of the Italian legal market.
Italian market know-how and multi-jurisdictional experience
More than half our partners have worked together for over 20 years. Our close-knit team's well-established working relationships produce efficient, smooth-running teams. We know how to use the right resources to get the best results for clients on domestic matters and on international transactions where we regularly form extended teams with colleagues from our international network. Clients tell us that our way of working and our Italian market know-how and capability deliver the best results.
- Legal entity:
An experienced, award-winning team
Today our Luxembourg team includes over 110 lawyers including 10 partners.
We have particular strengths in M&A and corporate, investment funds, regulatory, capital markets, finance and tax. Our full-service offering also includes real estate, employment, litigation and dispute resolution. And our clients know that we can – if required – call on the firm's wider resources and international network.
The Luxembourg office is recognised by the major legal directories as one of the leading firms in Luxembourg with eleven Band 1 rankings and is "renowned for advising on large and complex national and cross-border transactions."
Technical excellence and industry knowledge
Many of our clients are in the financial industry. We use our experience and carefully tuned teams to deliver technically excellent work that has the right level of partner involvement.
Several of our partners and lawyers serve on the technical committees and working groups of Luxembourg’s financial regulator, the CSSF (Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier), the ALFI (Association of the Luxembourg Fund Industry), the Luxembourg Bankers’ Association and the Luxembourg Central Bank. Our close contacts with regulators, along with our extensive market experience, mean that we can keep clients up to date on new rules and market trends and suggest the best way to approach each situation.
Effective teamwork on international transactions
Many major corporates and financial institutions use Luxembourg-based corporate entities so we regularly work on cross-border and multi-jurisdiction transactions. Our team has a proven track-record of collaboration with the global network to deliver seamless advice on multi-jurisdiction, multi-practice mandates.
- Legal entity:
We help clients navigate the technical and commercial aspects of large financings, M&A and private equity work, capital market and funds transactions, regulatory, risk and compliance issues, and litigation. Our full-service offering includes tax, employment, intellectual property, notarial and EU competition.
Everything we do is focused on helping our clients achieve their business goals and advising them how to manage the risks that are part of doing business. Recent client comments include:
- "Clients appreciate that the team is "pragmatic, which is always helpful in transactions," and "knows how to solve things". One client lauds the team's "outstanding knowledge and expertise in combination with great availability of resources. Another praises the "pragmatic, thorough and efficient team," noting that the lawyers "managed both the content and the process in a pleasant and effective way."
Chambers Europe 2020
Another point of focus is the strong commitment to our local community through our corporate responsibility and pro bono work. Our lawyers are encouraged to spend at least 50 hours per year on corporate responsibility projects, for instance by providing advice to young entrepreneurs and charities free of charge. We are passionate supporters of great initiatives such as TEDxWomen, Holland Festival Young, International Theatre Amsterdam, SAIL, the Stedelijk Museum, De Regenboog Groep and many more.
Top-tier clients and a focus on cross-border work
We are a leading firm in the Dutch market with a track record of over 40 years and a can-do attitude. But what makes us stand out is that we are as well known for our domestic work as we are for our complex international transactions and the reach and resources of our international network.
We have a well-established sector focus and our team of over 130 lawyers and 22 partners includes specialists who advise on Dutch, UK and international law. Clifford Chance is considered to be one of the best firms in the Netherlands by clients and peers alike.
Working on front-page private equity and M&A deals
Our clients include Shell, KLM, Staples, DSM, PGGM, ABN AMRO, CVC and KKR and we are considered a Tier One firm for transactional work. Several of our partners have been nominated for Best M&A Lawyer in the Netherlands over the last few years.
Recent examples of our Amsterdam-led international work include advising Staples on the sale of a controlling interest in Staples' European operations to a Cerberus affiliate; ABN AMRO on landmark first ever Formosa Tier 2 bond following rule change and Refresco Group’s three largest shareholders in the second post-IPO sell-down.
Extensive banking, finance and capital markets experience
Banks, financial institutions, corporates and private equity houses such as ABN AMRO, ING, Rabobank, Citi, BNP Paribas, LeasePlan, PON, CVC, Montagu and Gilde rely on our technical excellence, extensive experience, pragmatic advice and client-focused approach. Among other areas, our Finance and Capital Markets group (Financial Markets Group) covers: secured lending, restructurings, asset finance, commodities finance, acquisition finance and project finance. Together with our clients we are at the forefront of thought-leading initiatives in, for example, alternative sources of financing and private placements.
The leading directories widely recognise our quality by ranking us Tier One.
Addressing the challenges and conflicts that clients face
The carefully tuned Dispute Resolution team handles an extensive range of corporate, commercial and financial disputes, including securities litigation for Bank of America Merrill Lynch (the Fortis case) and acting for investors in proceedings relating to the bankruptcy of Yukos Oil.
Our close-knit cross-practice Financial Regulatory and Compliance group guides both financial and corporate clients through the maze of legislative and regulatory changes they face. The Dutch State and regulatory authorities, including the Dutch Central Bank, come to us for our competence and skills.
An innovative leader in the Dutch funds market
We have built a strong Funds group integrated with our TPE (Tax, Pensions and Employment) specialists to help clients get fast, effective answers to complex multi-jurisdictional questions. Working for leading organisations such as PGGM and AlpInvest, the group has earned a reputation for innovative work and market firsts, including the development of new pension vehicles.
- Legal entity:
Well-established in the Polish market
We opened our Warsaw office in 1992 and today we have a team of 85+ lawyers, including nine partners. Most of our lawyers are qualified in Polish law, several are dual qualified, and all are fluent in Polish and English. We have close working relationships with leading banks and financial institutions, and top-tier corporates.
Our high-profile work has earned us a top-tier reputation. Chambers Europe 2018 ranks us Band 1 in eight separate areas, and Legal 500 EMEA 2018 Tier 1 in eleven separate areas: more than any other law firm in Poland.
Top-tier work across a range of sectors and legal areas
We work with domestic and international clients. Polish companies value the way we put the firm's resources to work on their behalf. International companies know that our on the-ground capability delivers results. And all our clients rely on our technical excellence, pragmatic advice, and client-focused approach.
Our track-record shows the range and calibre of our work.
We have advised and continue to advise on the most widely publicised transactions, as well as on the largest and most innovative ones, including the following landmark transactions:
- One of the largest transactions in the European banking sector in recent years: we advised PZU, the largest Polish insurance group, acting as part of a consortium with PFR, the Polish Sovereign Wealth Fund, on the acquisition of 32.8% of the shares in Bank Pekao from UniCredit;
- A complex dual tender offer and PE investment: we advised a company wholly owned by funds managed by Advent International, on a tender offer, whereby the tenderers offered to acquire all the shares in Integer.pl S.A., a WSE-listed Polish group operating a network of automated parcel machines and courier services;
- High profile corporate financings: we advised Crédit Agricole CIB/Crédit Agricole Bank Polska S.A., which acted as Initial Mandated Lead Arrangers, Agent, Security Agent, bookrunner and global coordinator and local coordinator, on the PLN 1,545,000,000 (approx. EUR 515m) refinancing facility for Multimedia Polska S.A., a leading national cable and telecommunications operator in Poland; a syndicate of banks in connection with a PLN 200 million credit facility agreement with PESA Bydgoszcz S.A. (the largest Polish manufacturer of rail vehicles, involved also in the upgrading, repair and maintenance of rolling stock); and a consortium of financial institutions in connection with PLN 7 billion term and revolving facilities granted to Play Holding 2 S.à r.l. and P4 sp. z o.o. (the operator of Poland's largest mobile network Play);
- One of the first hybrid bond transactions under Polish law: we advised the EIB on the signing with ENERGA S.A. of a project agreement and a subscription agreement providing the basis for the issuance of EUR 250 million hybrid bonds; Energa is one of Poland's largest energy companies and electricity suppliers;
- One of the largest PE exits: we advised Warburg Pincus, a global private equity firm, on the sale of a majority stake in INEA, the fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) and cable operator in western Poland, to Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund 5 (MEIF5), managed by Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (MIRA), the leading global infrastructure investor; and
- The largest European real estate transactions of 2017: we advised China Investment Corporation on the acquisition from Blackstone of its pan-European logistics company, Logicor; and Blackstone on the acquisition of logistics portfolios in Poland, Germany and France from Goodman.
A client-focused approach
These client comments are from Chambers Europe 2018:
- "Nothing is too big for them. They are really great for the most complicated and heavy transactions."
- "They can deal with any obstacle and react fast to a changing situation."
- "They are very well organised and able to work under the pressure of time. They are always well prepared and supportive."
- “The team has a very good knowledge of the rules and issues that are dealt with by the European Commission. They also have an open and individual approach to the topic.”
- "They are top-class and are also client-focused."
- "They anticipate and think forward what should be done next."
- "They propose simple solutions that make sense."
- "They are a solid service provider with international reach and good co-ordination."
- "They think of what is best for you, taking a very practical approach."
- "They have an excellent team."
- “They are great project leaders. They have business orientation and an understanding of the corporate reality of their clients.”
- Legal entity:
Local expertise and global reach
In 2006, we merged with a leading local firm to form Clifford Chance Badea and today a lean team of around 40 lawyers works in our Bucharest office. We're the only leading international law firm with a fully integrated office in Romania and we take a one firm approach to our clients' needs with integrated multi-practice and multi-region teams working together to deliver the best possible results. We are well known for our domestic work as we are for our complex cross-border transactions and the reach and resources of our international network.
Strategic understanding of the local market
Our senior lawyers have worked together for over 18 years and this close-knit team has seen, and has often been involved in, many changes in Romania’s legal and business landscape. We have a strategic understanding of the local market having worked together on most complex and high-profile transactions and flagship projects, in the public and private space. We have also had an active contribution to the drafting and alignment to international standards of the Romanian legislation in key areas (such as covered bonds, global depository receipts or the structuring of PPP projects). Clients rely on this range and depth of experience when they turn to us for advice on demanding, often first-of-its-kind, deals.
Full-service law firm
Our multi-disciplinary teams can provide legal services at international standards on every legal issue related to our clients' operations and investments, across all practice areas, including: M&A, corporate and commercial law, antitrust, employment advice, real estate & construction, project development, public procurement, banking & finance, capital markets, restructuring & insolvency, litigation & dispute resolution, risk management.
- Legal entity:
Over two decades of Russian know-how
We know Russia well and use our experience of Russia’s fast-moving business and legal environment to help clients achieve their business goals and to manage the risk that inevitably comes with this.
We understand the market and the key players, as well as the legal framework. We advise Russian companies on their domestic and international business and work with international corporates looking to do business in the Russian market, keeping ourselves at the sharp end of legislative change. For example, we have advised on industry submissions on a suite of laws designed to develop the local financial infrastructure, and on the effective rewriting of the Russian Civil Code.
An on the ground capability that delivers
Our Moscow-based team includes 7 partners and around 60 lawyers in total. We work across Russia and the CIS states, including the central Asian republics, and our full-service offering ranges from finance and M&A to tax and litigation. While over a third of our lawyers are qualified in Russian law, all are experienced in working with and under English law, and we can advise clients in both languages. And when we work on international transactions we can call on the expertise of over 3,200 lawyers in our international network.
We have what it takes to protect your position, to find solutions, and to deliver the deal in even the most complex domestic and cross-border transactions.
For instance, Clifford Chance Moscow advised the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation in connection with its benchmark US$3 billion and its tap EUR750 million sovereign Eurobond issues.
Other notable recent examples include advising Metrika Investments, a part of the ROSSIUM group, on the acquisition of the office part of Neva Towers (formerly Renaissance Moscow Towers), Societe Generale on a sustainability-linked US$75 million credit facility for Polymetal, and PhosAgro on its US$500 million Eurobond issue with a new record low US$ coupon among Russian issuers.
The teamwork and the resources that get the best possible results
When we work on complex multi-jurisdiction matters we work in extended teams that include colleagues from other practice groups and jurisdictions. We’ve learnt that this kind of teamwork gets the best results. It helps us get the most out of our own resources, it helps clients reach their business goals and it also helps to keep costs down.
We find that the closer we work with clients, the more effective we can be. So we invest time and effort in building close working relationships. We want to understand your business drivers, talk through your plans and ideas, and find the right way to tailor our team and advice to your needs.
- Legal entity:
A market-leading team, delivering value to clients. Creative, proactive, efficient and accurate
We've been established in Spain for 40 years. We opened our first office in Madrid in 1980 and our Barcelona office in 1993. Today we are Spain’s market-leading international firm with 23 partners, 150 lawyers, and 28 Tier One rankings in the 2019 editions of Legal 500 and Chambers Europe. Our work on top-tier transactions and our extensive experience in Spanish markets has helped us form close relationships with regulators, government agencies and leading international companies.
This combination of domestic and international experience means that our clients get the transactional capability of an international firm with the on the ground know-how and connections of a long-established Spanish firm.
We understand cross-border transactions
Our team regularly works with colleagues from our international network on complex multi-jurisdictional transactions. And we stay in close contact with our offices in the Americas .
- “Spectacular co-ordination between offices” "They have cross-border capabilities as well as in-depth knowledge of domestic legislation."
Chambers Europe 2019
We build the team that fits the client's needs
Our experience has taught us how to work efficiently on complex projects and ensure that we use our resources – and our clients' time – as effectively as possible. And clients say that our approach and our talented lawyers deliver the right results.
We work closely with our top-tier clients, addressing the challenges and conflicts they face, being innovative in the solutions proposed, advising on front-page deals, and contributing when necessary with a cross-border service.
A focus on efficiency
We deliver what our clients need in the most commercia, pragmatic and efficient way possible. We regularly partner with clients to examine the complete end-to-end process of regular legal mandates so that we can identify more efficient ways of working together.
Our approach is tailored to our clients' industry sectors
We believe that the most effective advice is grounded in industry knowledge and local-market experience. We have established a number of global cross-practice groups that have detailed knowledge of our clients’ industries and businesses and provide focused, practical and comprehensive advice.
- “I can rely on them in negotiations not only from a legal point of view but also from a business point of view, because they are sensitive to my needs and objectives.”
Chambers Europe 2018
- "They study the cases in a very dedicated and detailed way and you receive extraordinary legal advice”
Chambers Europe 2019
- “The team is very hard-working, always clear in its responses and always available, which we really value.”
Chambers Europe 2019
Awards and milestones
We are the leading international law firm in Spain, according to Chambers Europe and Legal 500 with 12 and 16 tier-one categories in 2019 respectively.
- Luis Alonso received the ILO Client Choice 2017 Award for "Best M&A lawyer" in Spain last February, granted by the International Law Office (ILO) / Lexology.
- Carlos Portocarrero is recognized as Star Lawyer of 2018 by Property EU.
- José Guardo is ranked as "Star Individual"
Chambers Europe 2019: Spain – Projects
- Miquel Montañá is ranked as "Star Individual"
Chambers Europe 2019: Spain – Intellectual Property, Life Sciences
- Jaime Velázquez received the Expansión Jurídico 2017 Award for "Best Lawyer of the Year"
- National Law Firm of the Year
- Best Patents Law Firm
Global IP Awards 2018, IAM and WTR
- Best Infrastructure Firm
Expansión Jurídico Awards 2019
- Legal entity:
Our clients include leading Turkish and international corporates, banks and financial institutions, investors and government entities.
Our high-profile domestic and international work has built our market-leading reputation and we combine our vast experience in the Turkish market with the reach and resources of the firm’s international network.
An international capability grounded in local know-how
We keep a long-standing commitment to Turkey that has given us a deep understanding of the Turkish market and unparalleled expertise in relation to cross-border transactions. After more than 30 years of advising domestic and international clients on Turkey related matters, we have been operating on the ground in Istanbul since 2011, first in cooperation with Yegin Ciftci Attorney Partnership and then with CIFTCI Law Firm. Our Istanbul Office focuses on a wide range of infrastructure, energy, M&A, corporate, finance and capital markets work where we already enjoy a strong reputation.
The highest level of service across the entire legal spectrum
A local presence and established relations with key players in the Turkish market are key for successfully completing transactions. We have built our capability to match our clients' business needs work in a wide range of industries, operate all over the world, and need to act decisively when opportunities or issues arise. We meet these needs with our top-grade experience, technical skills and on the ground capability. We use our industry experience, global reach and innovative thinking to help them reach their business goals.
Our Istanbul office is an integral part of our network
We know how to use the right resources to get the best results for clients on domestic matters and on international transactions where we regularly form extended teams with colleagues from our international network. We have close working-relationships with colleagues from around the globe to deliver practical advice on complex issues. We use our international reach, technical excellence and client-friendly approach to deliver complex transactions and build longstanding client relationships.
Our English law capability and, through CIFTCI Law Firm, our local law expertise, sets us apart in the Turkish market. Our ability to offer both Turkish and English law advice in one single firm streamlines the process for our clients and provides significant efficiency savings. Our lawyers have excellent knowledge of local market trends and practice. We are the go-to law firm for banking and finance, project finance, mergers and acquisitions and capital markets.
A team with a proven track record
We take a one firm approach to our clients' needs with integrated cross-practice and cross-border teams working together to achieve success. We know how to make our resources, which include 3,500 lawyers across our international network, work for all our clients and can call on the specialised skills of globally-recognised, top-ranked lawyers to help them reach their business goals. Our lawyers have first-hand experience of the technical and practical aspects of the Turkish market and are familiar with international best practice, used to complexity and to working in extended teams.
Unrivalled experts in key growth sectors in Turkey
Over the last decades we have been working on a number of landmark deals and high-profile cases and hold an unrivalled expertise in key growth sectors in Turkey
- Energy & Infrastructure: We have an in-depth understanding of the regulatory environment and commercial drivers. We regularly advise sponsors and banks on the development and financing of PPP Healthcare projects and those that include ports, airports, tunnels, hospitals, bridges, roads and railways.
- Technology, Media & Communications: We bring the right mix of industry knowledge and experience to your TMT transactions. The team provides transactional and regulatory advice in connection with mergers and acquisitions, compliance, anti-trust and competition, financing and capital markets.
- Consumer Goods & Retail: We support our clients in this sector in all key areas of their business, from strategic growth and divestments to commercial relationships, regulatory compliance, strategic acquisitions, disposals and major financings.
- Private Equity: We have market-leading experience in all aspects of private equity transactions and regularly advise both local and international players on buyout and growth capital transactions across numerous sectors. We represent a wide range of global, regional and emerging markets financial investors, including private equity houses, banks, specialist infrastructure and private equity real estate funds and other financial institutions.
- Banks: We have a world leading Banks sector group and are involved in many of the market's ground-breaking deals. The ongoing market turmoil continues to drive M&A activity across the sector as institutions seek to reshape their operating models or capitalise on new opportunities. We have a pre-eminent reputation for advising significant number of banks on complex strategic acquisitions or disposals. Our specialist knowledge of the sector and its issues enables our lawyers to provide results driven commercial advice to banks on some of their most complex transactions and to help them address some of their most challenging business issues.
- Healthcare, Life Sciences & Chemicals: Our deep understanding of the healthcare, life sciences & chemicals industries is integral to our ability to offer the highest quality advice and solutions wherever we operate. We focus on industry sectors so that we can provide you with: access to our combined knowledge, expertise and experience by sector; and lawyers who know the risks and challenges within your industry and who proactively bring insights to you. Our sector approach ensures that our lawyers truly understand the healthcare, life sciences & chemicals industries with their regulatory and commercial challenges.
- Transport & Logistics: Through our work with leading transport and logistics companies, their advisers and their suppliers, we have developed the industry knowledge required to provide specialised support. As an interdisciplinary group with a global presence, we can field an informed and highly qualified team of lawyers in major markets around the world including Turkey.
- Legal entity:
The team is exceptionally well-positioned to advise on Ukraine-related matters across a range of practice areas, including: Antitrust, Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate/M&A, Debt Restructuring & Insolvency, International Arbitration, Litigation, Real Estate. It has recently increased its capabilities to include advising on Compliance and Data Protection, Intellectual Property and Tax.
- Legal entity:
Full-service offering from top-ranked teams
Our London roots go back to the early 1800s. The world has changed since then, but the commitment to outstanding client service that our forming partners shared remains at the forefront of everything we do. Our clients extend across all the main business sectors and include domestic and international businesses, financial institutions, funds and investors, regulators, and government and public-sector bodies.
Clifford Chance's top-tier legal advice and online resources span the full spectrum. We are well known for our work in finance and the debt and equity capital markets, as well as corporate advisory and M&A work; litigation and dispute resolution; real estate; and tax, pensions and employment. Clifford Chance is Law Firm of the Year 2019 (The Lawyer Awards) and Legal 500 UK 2019 ranked us Band One in 31 categories.
Our ability to field multi-practice, multi-jurisdictional teams helps us to address our international clients' most complex issues within tight timescales. This capability delivers results for our clients on business critical matters. Our UK team is integrated with our international network of offices – in 2020, Chambers Global awarded us more Band One rankings than any other firm.
In 2018, we acquired a team of 60 paralegal level legal advisors in Newcastle, formerly part of the award-winning CAS (Carillion Advice Services). This team brings extensive experience in unbundling, developing processes and applying the latest in legal tech, complementing our existing client service model.
Learn more about our approach to delivering value to our clients.
Highly rated by clients and competitors
We believe in long-term client relationships and we invest time and energy to understand our clients' businesses, priorities, and their working culture. Comments in independent legal directories suggest that clients appreciate the way we work as much as the results we deliver.
"I have found all of the team a pleasure to work with - they are very knowledgeable, hard-working and committed. They always accommodate our requests quickly and to the best of their ability."
Chambers UK 2020
"There's a seamless approach throughout the team. They have high-calibre partners who are prepared to invest time in getting to know us."
Chambers UK 2020
- Legal entity:
Europe regional coverage
Our market leading European capability gives clients access to the local knowledge of a top-tier national firm, with the cross-border resources of an international network.
Delivering market leading advice at national and European levels
Clients benefit from the breadth of our European team, working out of our international network across the region. We are a top-tier firm in every European country in which we operate. We help clients understand the local markets, key players, and legal frameworks that matter to their businesses. We often handle cross-border deals, which means our clients receive advice from lawyers who regularly work in extended multi-practice, multi-office teams.
Understanding our clients through sector focus
We work closely with clients on the legal and commercial issues that are critical to their businesses. This keeps us at the forefront of industry developments. We have built global sector teams, which share knowledge to keep clients up to date on sector trends. Combined with our European and international reach, our deep sector expertise gets the best possible results for our clients.
Client-focused and forward thinking
We deliver these results through close working relationships with our clients, supported by seamless collaboration across practice group and geographic borders. Client comments are often as much about the way we work as they are about the quality of our advice. We invest heavily to ensure that clients benefit from our formidable knowledge and market insights, that they have access to the best team for the job, and that we bring the right processes and advanced technologies to save time and money for our clients. This commitment to creating value for our clients sits at the heart of our firm.
- Advised FairSearch on the European Commission investigation leading it to impose the record EUR€2.4 billion EU fine on Google for illegal search manipulation practices in a key online sector, comparison shopping – a service that allows users to compare product features, prices, and availability from a wide selection of online retailers
- Advising Airbus Group on the finalisation of its 50/50 Joint Venture with Safran, with the Airbus Safran Launchers becoming a fully-fledged operational company. This final step was the culmination of an ambitious strategic initiative to reshape the launcher industry in Europe and better serve European interests in relation to space access
- Successfully represented Sberbank in the Appellate Court in a landmark derivatives case, resulting in the court's dismissal of Transneft's USD$1.1 billion claim for invalidation of FX barrier options
- Clients are quick to comment on the firm's consistently strong international offering: "The level of quality is there in any country in which I have worked with Clifford Chance." Another source affirms that "they are very committed. I would say that when we work with them we know we are in good hands; they deliver an extremely high quality of service."
Chambers Europe 2017
- Clients say: "The teams at Clifford Chance offer great flexibility, availability, and good communication between the offices when different jurisdictions are involved." They also appreciate that "the deadlines are always met" and add that "the teams work together harmoniously, with good communication and reactivity, which makes the client confident that transactions can be successfully achieved."
Chambers Europe 2017
- Clients particularly value the consistency of quality across the firm's famed global network, describing the firm as "a large, well-oiled machine which gives you the same service wherever you go." On a similar note, a source underlines that "the international network is very helpful" and appreciates that "the firm co-operates easily with foreign clients."
Chambers Europe 2017
- Clients report that on cross-border mandates the firm's advice "is completely seamless, to the extent that you don't know which office you are working with."
Chambers Europe 2017