Steve Jacoby is the Regional Managing Partner for Continental Europe and he co-heads the Banking, Finance and Capital Markets practice of Clifford Chance’s Luxembourg office.
He specialises in finance and capital markets matters and has a significant expertise in financial regulatory work, with a focus on digital finance and capital markets. He joined the firm in 2000 and became a partner in 2002.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Paris I: Panthéon-Sorbonne (Maîtrise en droit international des affaires) 1994
- Cambridge University (LL.M. Cantab. hons.) 1995
- Admitted as an avocat in Luxembourg 1996
- Admitted as an avocat à la Cour in Luxembourg 1998
- Joined Clifford Chance 2000
- Partner since 2002
- Regional Managing Partner for Continental Europe since 2022
- Luxembourg Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Association Luxembourgeoise des Juristes de Banque (ALJB)
- Member of the editorial board of the publication "Bulletin d'Information sur la Jurisprudence " (BIJ)
- "Annales du Droit Luxembourgeois", Bruylant, Board member
Awards and citations
- Steve Jacoby “is deeply knowledgeable about the Luxembourg financial sector and is able to see around corners in legal processes.” He is admired for his contributions to the development of law in Luxembourg and represents clients in debt refinancing and project finance mandates, as well as financial regulatory matters.
Chambers Europe 2022 Banking & Finance"
- Steve Jacoby “is incredibly hard-working and highly credible. He's always happy to talk to young start-up companies and provide advice. He's very down to earth, very knowledgeable and always available.”
Chambers FinTech Legal 2022
- Clients praise Steve Jacoby as a "very thorough and technically very strong lawyer who is very pragmatic and responsive."
Chambers Europe 2021: Banking & Finance
- Steve Jacoby is praised by clients for being "an extremely smart guy who is commercially minded and understands super quickly what you are after.“
Chambers Europe 2020: Capital Markets
- "He has a very big interest in blockchain and is leading the practice," says a market insider.
Chambers Europe 2020: Fintech Legal
- Co-head of the banking, finance and capital markets practice Steve Jacoby advises clients on a broad range of transactions. According to impressed commentators, "he is amazing – one of the best lawyers in the market."
Chambers Europe 2016: Banking & Finance, Luxembourg – band 1
- Steve Jacoby is praised for his practical approach: "He finds an efficient solution suitable for all parties involved and does not waste time on theoretical questions."
Chambers Europe 2014: Capital Markets
- The "brilliant" Steve Jacoby co-heads the practice. He advises on bank lending, capital markets, securitisation, acquisition finance, derivatives, corporate law, banking regulation and insolvency matters.
Chambers Europe 2014: Banking & Finance