The global energy and resources group at Clifford Chance is a multi-disciplinary team of highly-experienced lawyers who provide innovative legal advice, with expertise in Capital Markets, Corporate, Construction, Environment, Litigation, PFI/PPP, Project Finance, Restructuring, Real Estate and Tax.
Our broad international network which covers Africa, Asia Pacific, the Americas, Europe and the Middle East, specialises in the particular requirements of the global energy and resources sector, specifically within the oil and gas, power, renewables, nuclear and mining and metals sectors. We are committed to helping clients keep pace with market and regulatory developments, as well as enabling entry into new markets, managing risk and strengthening your business by providing top tier legal advice combined with industry knowledge and an acute awareness of your commercial drivers.
Oil & gas
We advise on the complex legal, financial and commercial issues associated with upstream, midstream and downstream developments worldwide, and have a group of acknowledged legal experts in the oil and gas industry, offering depth of resource, local expertise and commitment to the key oil and gas players across the globe.
We provide top-tier legal expertise in the power sector, including conventional power, nuclear and energy networks, for global and domestic clients around the world. We have a formidable reputation of successfully advising on all aspects of major cross-border acquisitions, joint ventures, asset exchanges, privatisations, trading and marketing, disputes, regulation and market reform, competition/antitrust issues, environmental issues, public procurement matters, as well as project development (including construction aspects) and project finance within the power sector.
Our global experience extends across the full breadth of the renewable energy sector, including in relation to onshore and offshore wind, solar, biomass, hydro power, CHP, carbon abatement, waste/recycling management, green certificates and emissions trading, and carbon capture and storage projects.
Mining & metals
Our global Mining & Metals group comprises lawyers from across our international network of offices who advise a broad range of companies in the mining and metals sector including major mining companies, junior mining companies, development banks, international financial institutions, commercial banks, ECA's, contractors and governments across the full range of issues that apply to the sector.
- Hornsea 1 offshore windfarm, United Kingdom: Advised Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP) on the acquisition from Ørsted of 50% interest in the 1,218MW Hornsea 1 offshore wind farm, which is currently under construction off the coast of Yorkshire, in a deal worth £4.46 billion. The transaction is the largest single project financing ever in the global renewable energy sector, and the debt includes both institutional and commercial bank funding, together with a mezzanine tranche provided by Danish pension fund PFA, and the debt is covered in part by Danish Export Credit Agency, EKF.
- Hinkley Point C, United Kingdom: Advising EdF S.A. on the development of Hinkley Point C nuclear power station, including the £6 billion investment by China General Nuclear Power Corporation to acquire and finance 33.5% of the £18 billion project, as well as advising on the landmark State Aid clearance of the new nuclear power station.
- JSC Yamal LNG, Russia: Advising JSC Yamal LNG as sponsors on the US$30.249 billion project financing of a 15.5 MTPA, three train liquefaction complex, based on the hydrocarbon resources of the South-Tambeyskoye field in the Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous region of the Russian Federation.
- Azura-Edo Power Plant, Nigeria: Advising a group of 16 commercial and DFI lenders on the complex financing structure for the 450MW gas-fired Azura-Edo power plant, the first greenfield IPP being developed with the support of the Nigeria Bulk Electricity Trader.
Africa Multi-sourced Financing of the Year 2015, IJ Global Awards
- Atlas Energy, Latin America: Advising Actis on the establishment of a Pan-Latin American renewable energy platform, Atlas Energy, and the acquisition of over 1.5 GW of solar PV assets from SunEdison across Latin America
- Vinh Tan 1, Vietnam: Advising China Southern Power Grid as sponsor and Vinh Tan 1 Power as borrower on the US$1.404 billion financing for the development of the 1200MW Vinh Tan 1 coal-fired power project in Vietnam.
Project Finance Deal of the Year 2016, IFLR Asia Awards
- Timis Mining, Sierra Leone: Advising a syndicate of Lenders in relation to the financing of the various mining operations of London Mining PLC and the sale out of receivership of London Mining's (i) Marampa iron ore project in Sierra Leone and (ii) iron ore mining interests in Greenland, together with the novation of its $225 million debt facilities to Timis Mining Corporation.
- Shell Global Divestment Programme: Advising Shell on its US$3.8 billion sale of UK North Sea assets to Chrysaor; US$90million sale of Thai upstream assets to KUFPEC and US$250 million sale of its Australian aviation business to Viva Energy
- Bauluang Oil Field, Thailand: Advising Salamander Energy on its US$280 million sale of a 40% working interest in the Bauluang oil field, Thailand, to SONA Petroleum and subsequent £314 million recommended takeover by Ophir Energy.
- Eurasian Resources Group, Africa: Advising Eurasian Resources Group on its c.£3 billion acquisition of ENRC with mines in Mali, the DRC, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and South Africa.
- New renewables programme, Jordan: Advising the lenders in relation to the project financing and development of the Sunrise (50MW) and FRV/Empire (50MW) solar PV projects in the Marfraq development and an onshore wind project, Al Rajef (86MW) in the Ma'an region.