Russell is a Partner in Clifford Chance's London office and a member of Clifford Chance's global energy and infrastructure team.
Russell has 25 years of commercial, corporate and finance experience in the energy and infrastructure sector – including a large number of landmark transactions in emerging markets. Russell is listed in the International Who’s Who of Project Finance Lawyers and the International Who’s Who of Energy Lawyers.
- Tanzania LNG: Advising Statoil on the commercialisation of their gas discovery in Tanzania.
- Azura IPP: Acting for the lenders on the financing of the Azura IPP in Nigeria.
- NordStream: Advised the ECAs and commercial lenders on the USD$7.2 billion multilateral financing of the Nord Stream Pipeline project, Europe's flagship project for energy security in the 21st century (Midstream).
- Kosmos Energy: Advised the lenders on the financing of Kosmos Group's participation in the development of the Jubilee oil field in Ghana. This USD$2 billion financing was voted "African oil & gas deal of the year (Kosmos)" – Project Finance and Infrastructure Magazine 2009.
Clifford Chance advises lenders on financing of Nigeria's pioneering, USD 1 billion Azura-Edo power plant
15 January 2016
Clifford Chance conseille les prêteurs dans le cadre du financement de la centrale thermique à charbon de Maamba Collieries Limited en Zambie
30 July 2015
Clifford Chance advises a consortium of lenders in relation to Glencore's USD15.25 billion Revolving Credit Facilities
4 June 2015
CC advises Statoil on the US$2.25 billion disposal of its Shah Deniz interest to PETRONAS
22 October 2014
Clifford Chance advises Glencore on its US $1.35 billion acquisition of Caracal Energy Inc.
10 July 2014
Hydropower – Overview and selected key issues
30 October 2017
Iran and the West: In Conversation with Lord Lamont of Lerwick, UK Trade Envoy to Iran
24 March 2017
Brexit and the Energy and Resources sector
12 July 2016
Alternative financing structures in the oil, gas and mining sectors
4 March 2016
Boosting power generation in Nigeria – the Azura-Edo independent power project
29 February 2016
Career and qualifications
- University of London, Queen Mary College; (LLB) 1987
- Joined Clifford Chance 1988
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1990
- Partner in the Energy & Infrastructure Group since 1997
- Singapore office from 2002-2007
Awards and citations
- One source commented that Russell Wells "speaks the same language as our business".
Projects, Chambers UK 2011
- "Russell Wells stands out for his oil and gas sector work." Sources have praised him as “proactive, helpful and knowledgeable."
Energy & Natural Resources, Chambers UK 2011
- Russell Wells is a "client-friendly lawyer, providing a great combination of oil and gas experience and commercial thinking."
Projects & Energy: Oil & Gas, Chambers UK 2010
- "Oil and gas is Russell Wells's domain, with his 'truly astonishing intellect' attracting widespread praise."
Projects & Energy: Project, Chambers UK 2010