Russell Wells is a Partner in Clifford Chance's London office and is the Global Head of the firm's Energy and Resources Sector and the co-head of Worldwide Projects Group.
Russell has almost 30 years of commercial, corporate and finance experience in the energy sector – including a large number of landmark transactions in emerging markets. Russell has worked in our Hong Kong, London and Singapore offices. Russell is ranked as Band 1 for his expertise in projects by Chambers UK. He is also listed in the International Who’s Who of Project Finance Lawyers and the International Who’s Who of Energy Lawyers.
- TAP: Advised the lenders on the development of the 878 km Trans Adriatic gas pipeline starting at the Greek–Turkish border near Kipoi and ending in Italy, connecting to the natural gas network of Snam Rete Gas
- Tanzania LNG: Advising Statoil on the commercialisation of their gas discovery in Tanzania
- Azura IPP: Acting for the lenders on the financing of the Azura IPP in Nigeria
- NordStream: Advised the ECAs and commercial lenders on the USD$7.2 billion multilateral financing of the Nord Stream Pipeline project, Europe's flagship project for energy security in the 21st century (Midstream)
- Kosmos Energy: Advised the lenders on the financing of Kosmos Group's participation in the development of the Jubilee oil field in Ghana. This USD$2 billion financing was voted "African oil & gas deal of the year (Kosmos)" – Project Finance and Infrastructure Magazine 2009
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of London, Queen Mary College; (LLB) 1987
- Joined Clifford Chance 1988
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1990
- Partner in the Energy & Infrastructure Group since 1997
- Singapore office from 2002-2007
Awards and citations
- "He is very measured and has years of experience, which shows during difficult discussions."
Chambers UK 2022, Projects
- "He is someone you can go to for a difficult deal."
Chambers UK 2022, Energy & Natural Resources