Russell Wells is a Partner in Clifford Chance's London office and is the Global Head of the firm's Energy and Resources Practice and the co-head of Worldwide Projects Group.
Russell has almost 30 years of commercial, corporate and finance experience in the energy sector – including a large number of landmark transactions in emerging markets. Russell has worked in our Hong Kong, London and Singapore offices. Russell is listed in the International Who’s Who of Project Finance Lawyers and the International Who’s Who of Energy Lawyers.
- TAP: Advised the lenders on the development of the 878 km Trans Adriatic gas pipeline starting at the Greek–Turkish border near Kipoi and ending in Italy, connecting to the natural gas network of Snam Rete Gas
- Tanzania LNG: Advising Statoil on the commercialisation of their gas discovery in Tanzania
- Azura IPP: Acting for the lenders on the financing of the Azura IPP in Nigeria
- NordStream: Advised the ECAs and commercial lenders on the USD$7.2 billion multilateral financing of the Nord Stream Pipeline project, Europe's flagship project for energy security in the 21st century (Midstream)
- Kosmos Energy: Advised the lenders on the financing of Kosmos Group's participation in the development of the Jubilee oil field in Ghana. This USD$2 billion financing was voted "African oil & gas deal of the year (Kosmos)" – Project Finance and Infrastructure Magazine 2009
Clifford Chance advises on refinancing and extension of Glencore's Revolving Credit Facilities
4 April 2019
Clifford Chance advises lenders on financing of Nigeria's pioneering, USD 1 billion Azura-Edo power plant
15 January 2016
Clifford Chance conseille les prêteurs dans le cadre du financement de la centrale thermique à charbon de Maamba Collieries Limited en Zambie
30 July 2015
Clifford Chance advises a consortium of lenders in relation to Glencore's USD15.25 billion Revolving Credit Facilities
4 June 2015
Clifford Chance advises Statoil on the US$2.25 billion disposal of its Shah Deniz interest to PETRONAS
22 October 2014
Hydropower – Overview and selected key issues
30 October 2017
Iran and the West: In Conversation with Lord Lamont of Lerwick, UK Trade Envoy to Iran
24 March 2017
Brexit and the Energy and Resources sector
12 July 2016
Alternative financing structures in the oil, gas and mining sectors
4 March 2016
Boosting power generation in Nigeria – the Azura-Edo independent power project
29 February 2016
Career and qualifications
- University of London, Queen Mary College; (LLB) 1987
- Joined Clifford Chance 1988
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1990
- Partner in the Energy & Infrastructure Group since 1997
- Singapore office from 2002-2007
Awards and citations
- “We have nothing but praise for Russell Wells – he is very professional, knowledgeable and responsive”.
Chambers UK 2019, Energy & Natural Resources
- He provides expert guidance on multi-source financings. Clients describe him as "very knowledgeable."
Chambers UK 2018, Projects
- 'A recognised market-leading figure who is particularly known for his work across Africa.'
Chambers Global 2018, Projects
- 'Regularly acts for lenders and oil and gas majors on commercial, corporate and financing issues. He is experienced in both pipeline and LNG developments across Europe and Africa.'
Chambers Global 2018, Energy & Natural Resources