We have worked in Africa for over 50 years and are recognised as one of the leading international law firms across the Continent. We bring global expertise to leading international and African corporate, banks and financial investors within a local context.
A seamless service for complex transactions
Proud of offering our clients a seamless experience and focusing above all on their needs for a successful outcome, collaboration is at the core of our African practice. Our team works on complex, high-profile, innovative and often cross-border matters in all sectors across the Continent. We deliver our advice by combining our leading international expertise gained from work across the globe, including from our 20+ Africa Practice Leaders, with the local knowledge of our Regional Teams and advice from Africa's premier law firms. We maintain and develop robust and lasting relationships with African firms through a dedicated African Counsel Initiative, managed by our Regional Teams. We believe this model is ‘best in class’ amongst our peers as it brings together our international sector and product expertise with the relevant expertise from the most suitable African law firms, all coordinated under a 'one-stop shop' approach.
A long-time commitment to Africa
In addition to the above, our pro bono work has long been a fundamental part of our commitment to the Continent and forms a traditional pillar of our strategy in Africa and is coordinated by a dedicated Africa pro bono team. Recently, we have been involved with several NGOs either in the context of their Covid-19 response work or for other programmes and initiatives in African countries, advising, for instance, on legal reforms or projects in the space of education, access to justice, healthcare and inclusion. Notably, our award-winning flagship Cornerstone initiative in Rwanda aims at improving well-being in the poorest communities in Kigali.
Our team comprises a wide range of lawyers, each of whom bring their own culturally diverse experiences, which is what makes our Africa Practice so exceptional and influential. Diversity and inclusion are intrinsic values of our firm and among the pillars of our firm's code of conduct. Each member of the Practice offers a unique set of skills and expertise, shaped by their varying multicultural backgrounds and the different paths which they have taken to arrive at where they are. What ultimately brings them together is that they embrace their differences and make them their strengths.
We are proud of our activity on ground-breaking and high-profile deals across Africa. Please visit our Africa regional pages to find out more about our client work.
- Clifford Chance elects Kayode Oladipo to the firm's partnership further strengthening its Africa Practice
- Chambers Africa Awards 2022: Clifford Chance named Africa-wide Corporate Law Firm of the Year and Morocco Law Firm of the Year
- Clifford Chance wins Best International Pro Bono Award at the 2021 LawWorks Awards
- Clifford Chance wins eight awards at IFLR Africa Awards 2021
- Daniel Mutisya promoted to Director and Co-Head of the East Africa practice
Comments and rankings in independent legal directories show that clients recognise that our approach delivers results:
- "Clifford Chance is great in Africa."
- "Their knowledge of Africa is one of the best in the market."
- "Very good experience, both locally and internationally, and they were proactive, commercially minded and extremely resourceful."
- "A lead player in this vast developing market, and its involvement in Africa is going from strength to strength."
- "Excellent continental advice."
- "This firm is undoubtedly one of the leading Africa practices, with a clear commitment to a wide variety of projects and energy work."
- "A leader in the African projects and energy market, demonstrating top-drawer capability in power, oil and gas, infrastructure and mining"
- "Highly regarded international arbitration capacity"
- "Possesses impressive expertise in a range of financial instruments"
- "Acclaimed practice group regularly instructed by African sovereign entities and major corporate issuers on various capital markets arrangements and issuances across the continent."
- "High-end Africa department representing blue–chip international and African clients in big–ticket mandates."
- "They have experience in niche markets that a lot of others don't"
- "They have relationships that really help."
Chambers Global Africa-wide – Projects and Energy – Band 1 – 2011-2022
Chambers Global Africa-wide – Corporate and M&A – Band 1 – 2011-2022
- Africa-wide Corporate Law Firm of the Year 2022 – Chambers Africa Awards
- MENA M&A Legal Adviser of the Year 2022 – Mergermarket European M&A Awards
- Capital Markets Legal Adviser of the Year 2021 – Bonds & Loans Africa Awards
- Best International Pro Bono Award 2021 – LawWorks Awards
- International Law Firm of the Year 2021 – IFLR Africa Awards
- Private Equity Team of the Year 2021 – IFLR Africa Awards
- M&A Team of the Year 2021 – IFLR Africa Awards
- Restructuring Team of the Year 2021 – IFLR Africa Awards
- Project Finance: Energy, Infrastructure, Natural Resources Team of the Year 2020 – IFLR Sub–Saharan Africa Awards
- Legal Adviser of the Year 2019 Africa – IJ Global Awards
- Overall Legal Advisor of the Year 2013-2021 – Private Equity Africa Awards
- Deals Legal Advisor of the Year 2018-2019 – Private Equity Africa Awards
- African Fundraising Deal of the Year 2018 – Emerging Africa Infrastructure Fund – IJ Global Awards
- Africa-wide Projects & Energy Law Firm of the Year 2018 – The Chambers Africa Awards for Excellence
Please visit our Africa regional pages to view our regional awards.