Clifford Chance, Casablanca
169 Boulevard Hassan 1er
- Legal entity: Clifford Chance International LLP - N° d'immatriculation au Registre du Commerce : 248807
- See capabilities for Morocco
Morocco and North Africa
Clifford Chance's Casablanca regional office is the leading international law firm in Morocco. Our office is a strategic platform for business in North Africa and West Africa.
We have unparalleled experience in North Africa and West Africa and are able to coordinate these efficiently and seamlessly from a single hub, ensuring that each step is taken with an eye to both the "big picture" and the nuances of individual jurisdictions.
The nerve centre that connects clients to Africa
Our Casablanca office is key to our work in Africa. It is a nerve centre that connects clients from across the world with our on the ground resources in Africa, and gives Africa-based clients access to the resources of our international network.
Our Casablanca office is part of a dedicated Africa practice which has been active in Africa for 30 years. Our African expertise is recognised globally by our clients, all the major directories and the business world.
Our lawyers work closely together, mobilizing the firm's resources in Morocco and in our other international offices to provide you with optimum client service. Resources also include a network of carefully selected local firms in jurisdictions where the firm is not directly represented.
Awards and milestones
- Continuously ranked Band 1 in Chambers Global, Legal 500 and IFLR for Morocco
- Overall Legal Advisor of the Year - Deals Legal Advisor of the Year: Private Equity Africa Awards 2015
We are committed to the development of Morocco and are involved in a number of pro bono/community programmes:
- Bourse Clifford Chance / AJAM – Attribution of a grant to Moroccan students with an outstanding academic track record who wish to become business law practitioners
- Africa Book Aid Program – Establishment of a long-term, cross-border program that will coordinate the donation of legal textbooks to the libraries of eligible law schools in Africa and in particular in Morocco
- Association Amani – Donation towards the creation of a library within their Centre of Excellence. Association Amani is a Moroccan organisation dedicated to the education of underprivileged children and to the accompaniment of their families
- Association Atlas – Donation towards the financing of solar panels. Association Atlas is a Moroccan organisation dedicated to the development of rural, isolated mountain communities and focuses its initiatives on two key sectors: education and ecotourism
Examples of work include:
- Corporate / M&A –Advising SAHAM Finances on its acquisition of a 53.6% stake in the Nigerian reinsurance company, Continental Reinsurance PLC
- Private Equity – Advising Actis on the acquisition of the Mundiapolis University in Morocco and Wendel in relation to their investment in SGI Africa, a joint venture with CFAO and CDC International
- Financial Regulatory –Advising on the reform of the legal and regulatory framework applicable to securitisation, securities over moveable assets, derivatives, securities lending and short-selling in Morocco, and on the reform of the law governing the Stock Exchange in Morocco
- Restructuring – Advising the lenders on the debt restructuring of Maghreb Steel for an amount of MAD 6 billion (approximately EUR 550 million)
- Capital Markets – Advising OCP on its first bond issue of US$1.55 billion and its second debt offering of US$1 billion
- Project Finance – Advising GDF SUEZ, Nareva and Mitsui consortium on the $2.6 billion financing of a 1,386 MW ultra-supercritical coal-fired independent power project near the port of Safi in Morocco
- Real Estate – Advising Société d’Aménagement Zenata on the development, structuring and financing of the most significant retail park in Morocco
- Financial Institutions – Advising the Moroccan Financial Board in relation to the implementation of Casablanca Finance City, the financial hub for North and West Africa
- Asset Finance - Advising BMCE Bank in relation to the financing of the acquisition by Royal Air Maroc of an aircraft for an amount of EUR 100 million
- "This international powerhouse enjoys a significant presence in the market. The team is strong in banking and finance, M&A transactions and insurance matters. One interviewee reported: "The firm has a strong M&A practice and is able to handle complex cross-border transactions in Africa. The lawyers' instruction was a game changer for the transaction as they helped address a lot of the structuring issues." The team has further expertise in private equity and energy matters."
Chambers Global: Morocco, 2017
- “They work hard, and we feel like we are their only client, even when the transaction is small.”
Chambers Global: Morocco, 2016
- "This international firm's Moroccan office earns significant market recognition. It represents clients from the energy and financial sectors. The firm also has a strong corporate practice and frequently lends its expertise to high-profile project finance and restructuring mandates. "They have great expertise, they are really involved in projects, they go into the detail and they give pertinent advice that fits the problem".
Chambers Global: Morocco, 2015
- "The firm advised Gunvor on its interests in PA Resources Group, acted for Actis on the acquisition of Tunisian higher education business Université Central, and helped an airport operator to restructure its multimillion-dollar debt obligations. The firm is also active in energy projects."
Legal 500: Tunisia, 2016
- "Clifford Chance has a strong client list of multinational companies, notably in the pharmaceuticals and food sectors, and advises numerous private equity funds looking to invest in Algeria. The firm is also working with many developers on major renewable energy projects. Mustapha Mourahib in Casablanca and Mohamed Hamra-Krouha in Abu Dhabi are highly recommended".
Legal 500: Algeria, 2016
- Antitrust & Competition
- Capital Markets
- Commercial Contracts
- Corporate Advice
- Intellectual Property
- International Arbitration
- Islamic Finance
- Joint Ventures & Strategic Alliances
- Private Equity
- Project Finance
- Public Policy
- Real Estate
- Restructuring & Insolvency