We opened our first Asia Pacific office in 1980 and have since gone on to build a significant market-leading presence in the region. Our 400-plus lawyers advise clients on the full range of business law for their regional and international activities.
Our Asia Pacific network began with our Hong Kong and Singapore offices which opened in 1980 and 1981 respectively. Since then, we've invested to keep pace with our clients' businesses and worked on opportunities both within and beyond the region.
We now have eight offices in five Asia Pacific countries. These include Beijing (1985) and Shanghai (1993), Tokyo (1987), Sydney and Perth (2011) and Seoul (2012). In other countries where we don’t have offices, we have close working relationships with local law firms. This gives us a cost-effective way to deliver results for clients in every country in the region.
Multi-jurisdictional teams with a dedicated ASEAN focus
The Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) offers huge opportunities for investors. The ten country bloc – Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Brunei, Laos the Philippines and Cambodia – is one of the fastest growing regions in the world.
The ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) was set up in 2015. It is built to create a single market across ASEAN nations. With the AEC beginning to emerge, we are one of the few firms with a dedicated taskforce of partners and associates focusing on industry trends, opportunities and challenges for clients in the ASEAN region. Our Country Focus Groups for Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam, include teams of lawyers based in all our practice areas and offices worldwide. These teams pool their knowhow and expertise for issues involving ASEAN jurisdictions.
- Advised DVB Bank SE, Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale and BNP Paribas on the financing of Korean Air Lines' first Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Advised one of Asia's largest alternative investment management firms, PAG Asia Capital on its US$170 million investment as part of a combined US$225 million investment with existing investor Meridian Capital into Europe-based dairy and ice cream producer Food Union Group
- Advised United Luck Group Holdings Limited (United Luck) on its US$1 billion acquisition of 100% of the shares of Outfit7. Outfit7 is headquartered in UK and Cyprus, and is the creator and developer of highly-popular mobile APPs such as 'Talking Tom' and 'Talking Angela', which were hailed in 2016 as one of the 'Most Downloaded APPs of All Time' for Android
- Advised the underwriters on the international aspects of the US$184 million (Rs 12.4) initial public offering of BSE Ltd. (formerly the Bombay Stock Exchange), Asia's oldest stock exchange. The IPO was the first listing of a stock exchange in India and was oversubscribed by 51 times
- Advised KrisEnergy Ltd. on a number of capital restructuring transactions including a consent solicitation for the mandatory exchange of its S$130 million and S$200 million senior unsecured notes for new S$130 million and S$200 million senior unsecured accrued interest notes, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange, and a S$139.5 million preferential offering of senior secured notes and equity warrants, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange. The firm's Banking and Finance team is also advising KrisEnergy on the restructuring of its revolving credit facility and the Derivatives team is advising on the restructuring of the currency swaps linked to the underlying bonds
- Advise Mondelēz International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MDLZ) on the sale of most of its grocery business in Australia and New Zealand (excluding Philadelphia cream cheese) to Bega Cheese Limited (ASX: BGA) for AU$460 million
- Advised Qatar-based energy company Nebras Power Q.S.C on the acquisition from Engie of 35.5% in PT Paiton Energy, Indonesia's largest Independent Power Provider through its associated office in Jakarta, Linda Widyati & Partners (LWP)
- Advised ANZ on its agreement to sell its 20% stake in Shanghai Rural Commercial Bank (SRCB) to China COSCO Shipping Corporation Limited and Shanghai Sino-Poland Enterprise Management Development Corporation Limited
- Advised global energy company Royal Dutch Shell plc on an agreement with Viva Energy Pty Ltd for the sale of Shell Aviation Australia Pty Ltd for a total transaction value of approximately US$250 million. This follows the sale of Shell’s other downstream activities in the country to Viva Energy in 2014, on which Clifford Chance also advised
- Clifford Chance maintains its market leading position advising on the biggest initial public offerings on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange for 2016. The firm's Greater China team advised on 10 IPOs totalling US$15.293 billion. The list includes Postal Savings Bank of China's US$7.6 billion IPO, the largest IPO globally for 2016, CR Pharmaceutical's US$1.8 billion IPO, China Merchants Securities' US$1.3 billion IPO and Everbright Securities' US$1.1 billion IPO
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2021
- Tier One in Aviation: Finance
- Tier One in Banking & Finance
- Tier One in Capital Markets (Debt)
- Tier One in Capital Markets (Equity)
- Tier One in Corporate/M&A
- Tier One in Corporate/M&A: Private Equity
- Tier One in Investment Funds: Hedge Funds
- Tier One in Projects & Infrastructure
- "you'd want to go with them for arbitration"
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 – Arbitration
- "They are responsive and always have a can-do attitude"
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 – Aviation Finance
- "They are the strongest firm I have worked with. All of the lawyers in Clifford Chance are very strong."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 – Banking & Finance
- "execution, handling complex structures and restrictions from the regulators and liaising with different counterparties smoothly."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 – Capital Markets
- "Clifford Chance can fully understand our concerns and business purposes, and always offer us constructive advivce both from a legal and commercial perspective."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 – Corporate/M&A
- The firm "has a very strong reputation in Asia and globally in private equity fund work. They are highly commercial and very responsive. Given their extensive work in these areas they are able to develop practical solutions."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 – Investment Funds: Hedge Funds
- "They are absolutley terrific. They have a solutions-based approach on documentation and negotiations. They explain things very clearly, they guide people through the commercial calls that need to be made, and their technical knowledge on underlying contracts is excellent."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 – Projects & Infrastructure
Our teams of talented lawyers have won us a string of awards that include:
- Asia Pacific Law Firm of the Year
Chambers Asia Pacific Awards 2020
- China practice of the year - International law firm
IFLR Asia Pacific Awards 2020
- International Firm of the Year
IFLR Asia Pacific Awards 2019
- International Firm of the Year
Asia Legal Awards 2019
- Syndicated Corporate Loan Law Firm of the Year
APLMA awards 2018, 2019
- Syndicated Project Finance Law Firm of the Year
APLMA awards 2017, 2018, 2019