We opened our first Asia Pacific office in 1980 and have since gone on to build a significant market-leading presence in the region. Our 400-plus lawyers advise clients on the full range of business law for their regional and international activities.
Our Asia Pacific network began with our Hong Kong and Singapore offices which opened in 1980 and 1981 respectively. Since then, we've invested to keep pace with our clients' businesses and worked on opportunities both within and beyond the region.
We now have seven offices in four Asia Pacific countries. These include Beijing (1985) and Shanghai (1993), Tokyo (1987), Sydney and Perth (2011). In other countries where we don’t have offices, we have close working relationships with local law firms. This gives us a cost-effective way to deliver results for clients in every country in the region.
Multi-jurisdictional teams with a dedicated ASEAN focus
The Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) offers huge opportunities for investors. The ten country bloc – Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Brunei, Laos the Philippines and Cambodia – is one of the fastest growing regions in the world.
The ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) was set up in 2015. It is built to create a single market across ASEAN nations. With the AEC beginning to emerge, we are one of the few firms with a dedicated taskforce of partners and associates focusing on industry trends, opportunities and challenges for clients in the ASEAN region. Our Country Focus Groups for Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam, include teams of lawyers based in all our practice areas and offices worldwide. These teams pool their knowhow and expertise for issues involving ASEAN jurisdictions.
- Advised DVB Bank SE, Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale and BNP Paribas on the financing of Korean Air Lines' first Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Advised one of Asia's largest alternative investment management firms, PAG Asia Capital on its US$170 million investment as part of a combined US$225 million investment with existing investor Meridian Capital into Europe-based dairy and ice cream producer Food Union Group
- Advised United Luck Group Holdings Limited (United Luck) on its US$1 billion acquisition of 100% of the shares of Outfit7. Outfit7 is headquartered in UK and Cyprus, and is the creator and developer of highly-popular mobile APPs such as 'Talking Tom' and 'Talking Angela', which were hailed in 2016 as one of the 'Most Downloaded APPs of All Time' for Android
- Advised the underwriters on the international aspects of the US$184 million (Rs 12.4) initial public offering of BSE Ltd. (formerly the Bombay Stock Exchange), Asia's oldest stock exchange. The IPO was the first listing of a stock exchange in India and was oversubscribed by 51 times
- Advised KrisEnergy Ltd. on a number of capital restructuring transactions including a consent solicitation for the mandatory exchange of its S$130 million and S$200 million senior unsecured notes for new S$130 million and S$200 million senior unsecured accrued interest notes, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange, and a S$139.5 million preferential offering of senior secured notes and equity warrants, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange. The firm's Banking and Finance team is also advising KrisEnergy on the restructuring of its revolving credit facility and the Derivatives team is advising on the restructuring of the currency swaps linked to the underlying bonds
- Advise Mondelēz International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MDLZ) on the sale of most of its grocery business in Australia and New Zealand (excluding Philadelphia cream cheese) to Bega Cheese Limited (ASX: BGA) for AU$460 million
- Advised Qatar-based energy company Nebras Power Q.S.C on the acquisition from Engie of 35.5% in PT Paiton Energy, Indonesia's largest Independent Power Provider through its associated office in Jakarta, Linda Widyati & Partners (LWP)
- Advised ANZ on its agreement to sell its 20% stake in Shanghai Rural Commercial Bank (SRCB) to China COSCO Shipping Corporation Limited and Shanghai Sino-Poland Enterprise Management Development Corporation Limited
- Advised global energy company Royal Dutch Shell plc on an agreement with Viva Energy Pty Ltd for the sale of Shell Aviation Australia Pty Ltd for a total transaction value of approximately US$250 million. This follows the sale of Shell’s other downstream activities in the country to Viva Energy in 2014, on which Clifford Chance also advised
- Clifford Chance maintains its market leading position advising on the biggest initial public offerings on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange for 2016. The firm's Greater China team advised on 10 IPOs totalling US$15.293 billion. The list includes Postal Savings Bank of China's US$7.6 billion IPO, the largest IPO globally for 2016, CR Pharmaceutical's US$1.8 billion IPO, China Merchants Securities' US$1.3 billion IPO and Everbright Securities' US$1.1 billion IPO
- Chambers & Partners, Asia Pacific 2022
- Band 1 in Aviation: Finance
- Band 1 in Banking & Finance
- Band 1 in Capital Markets: Debt
- Band 1 in Capital Markets: Derivatives & Structured Products
- Band 1 in Capital Markets: Equity
- Band 1 in Capital Markets: Securitisation
- Band 1 in Corporate/M&A
- Band 1 in Corporate/M&A: Private Equity
- Band 1 in Investment Funds: Hedge Funds
- Band 1 in Investment Funds: Private Equity
- Band 1 in Projects & Infrastructure
- "professional, fast, and able to deeply understand customer requirements"
- "they can fully explore the logic behind the case, and the client's needs, and customise their legal services accordingly"
Chambers & Partners, Asia Pacific 2022 – Arbitration
- "Clifford Chance is second to none in terms of quality of service from partners to associates, speed of execution, availability of partners and the global reach of its services"
Chambers & Partners, Asia Pacific 2022 – Aviation Finance
- "Clifford Chance is a leading practice in the region and has excellent turnaround and resourcing, coupled with excellent technical ability. They are always across current market trends and developments"
Chambers & Partners, Asia Pacific 2022 – Banking & Finance
- "strong capital market credentials and experts"
- "excellent, very high level of performance"
- "They have a wealth of experience in Reg S transactions"
Chambers & Partners, Asia Pacific 2022 – Capital Markets
- "They are pretty consistent in performance and services"
- "They are a safe pair of hands, and they give you the comfort that nothing will go wrong"
Chambers & Partners, Asia Pacific 2022 – Corporate/M&A
- "They offer outstanding quality of work, which includes clear document drafting with an appropriate commercial consideration. They're an established and well-known firm with good services, that can address clients’ needs by leveraging their global network and footprint"
Chambers & Partners, Asia Pacific 2022 – Investment Funds: Private Equity
- "really first-class service, taking ownership of matters and being proactive in their thinking. We could not have done it without them"
Chambers & Partners, Asia Pacific 2022 – Projects & Infrastructure
Our teams of talented lawyers have won us a string of awards that include:
- International Firm of the Year
IFLR Asia Pacific Awards 2022
- China (International Firms) Corporate & Finance Firm of the Year
Chambers Asia Pacific Awards 2021
- Singapore Corporate & Finance International Law Advisers
Chambers Asia Pacific Awards 2021
- Asia Pacific Law Firm of the Year
Chambers Asia Pacific Awards 2020
- China practice of the year - International law firm
IFLR Asia Pacific Awards 2020
- Syndicated Corporate Loan Law Firm of the Year
APLMA awards 2018, 2019
- Syndicated Project Finance Law Firm of the Year
APLMA awards 2017, 2018, 2019