Clifford Chance offers more than 35 years of experience advising local and international clients in Indonesia. Our Indonesia Focus Group, led from the firm's SEA hub in Singapore, delivers world-class service and the highest quality international law advice to our clients by combining deep local experience with access to global insights through the Clifford Chance network.
Indonesia – an attractive investment option
Indonesia is considered an attractive and profitable destination in Asia Pacific. With many promising changes underway in its business environment, and buoyed by regulatory reforms, increasing levels of investment and a growing middle class, Indonesia is set for long-term economic prospects.
Our core areas of practice
Our Indonesia focus group advises on the international aspects of corporate/M&A transactions and advisory work, foreign direct investment advice as well as capital markets, projects and banking and finance in a range of sectors including financial institutions, energy and resources, private equity, consumer goods & retail (CG&R) and, technology, media & telecommunications (TMT).
Local, regional and global know-how that delivers successful results
Our scale, scope and experience allow us to provide high quality solutions to legal, regulatory and business issues. We offer considerable insight into the issues that can arise and enables us to anticipate our clients' needs and help our clients resolve their potential obstacles from the onset.
Recent examples of our Indonesia work include advising:
- Nebras Power on its acquisition from Engie of up to 35.5% in PT Paiton Energy, Indonesia's largest Independent Power Provider (IPP), as well as on the acquisition of a stake in the Operations & Maintenance company that runs Paiton (2016)
- A private equity investor in relation to further investments into Gojek, a market-leading transport app in Indonesia (2016)
- the lenders (including ADB, KEXIM and SACE) in connection with the export credit financing of the 501MW Grati CCGT extension project (2016)
- Citi, Credit Suisse and IndoPremier Securities as underwriters on the US$115 million IPO and listing on the IDX of PT Prodia Widyahusada, an Indonesian healthcare company (2016)
- the Joint Lead Managers and Bookrunners, Dubai Islamic Bank PJSC and National Bank of Abu Dhabi PJSC, on the US$400 million Bridge Facility provided to PT Garuda Indonesia (Persero) Tbk. (2015)
- Dubai Islamic Bank and National Bank of Abu Dhabi as the Lead Arranger and Bookrunner in respect of Garuda Indonesia's issuance of global Sukuk of up to US$500 million. The sukuk is the first ever offshore US dollar offering by an Indonesian corporate issuer, and the first sukuk issuance utilising the airline capacity structure (as part of a sukuk-al-wakala structure) in Asia. (2015)
Clifford Chance's association with Jakarta-based Linda Widyati and Partners (LWP) ceased in September 2017. As current Indonesian regulations prohibit international firms from advising on Indonesian law, we have built strong relationships with leading Indonesian law firms who are able to provide our clients with local advice and representation where required. The firm will continue to provide international law advice for Indonesia-related matters from its South East Asia hub in Singapore.
Awards and milestones
- Debt and Equity-Linked Deal of the Year: Garuda Indonesia sukuk – IFLR Asia Awards 2016
- Indonesia Deal of the Year: Garuda Indonesia US$500 million sukuk – IFN Deals of the Year Awards 2016
- Indonesia Perusahaan Penerbit SBSN Indonesia III 144A Senior unsecured Wakalah Fixed Rate Trust Certificates (Government of Indonesia/Sovereign) IFN Deals of the Year Awards 2016
- "They know how to negotiate and they know how to resolve the issues to close deals quickly." "They are professional, knowledgeable, responsive, innovative, commercial and flexible." "They're able to put an understanding of the regulations in the Indonesian market context."
- "Clifford Chance houses notable expertise in banking and finance and corporate/M&A issues, as well as offering considerable skill in capital markets and projects work. It is highlighted for representing multinational corporates, Indonesia-based companies and financial institutions on a range of issues. Sources state 'they're very reliable, attentive and really hands-on'."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017: Indonesia (Foreign Firms)