Clifford Chance, Seoul
(Foreign Legal Consultant Office)
22nd Floor, D1 Tower
17, Jongno-3 gil, Jongno-gu
- Legal entity: Clifford Chance LLP (Foreign Legal Consultant office)
- See capabilities for Korea
Our Seoul office gives clients ready access to over 35 years of Korean-market experience.
Local know-how, regional and international reach
Clifford Chance is committed to Korea. We've worked with Korean clients for more than 35 years and were one of the first international law firms to open an office in Seoul in 2012. Our clients include Korean and international corporations, banks and financial institutions, and regulatory bodies. We work with Korean businesses who are managing and building their overseas operations, and with international companies who are investing in Korean markets and enterprises.
Our Korea team includes lawyers fluent in Korean and English. We have hands-on experience of Korean and international deals and work closely with Korean-speaking colleagues in Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo when clients need to access other markets. The team regularly draws on the firm’s expertise in the full range of practice areas and our global network.
Capability and connections that deliver for all our clients
Complex, international work demands teams who work together to obtain the best possible results and connect clients – both international and Korean – to the right skills and resources.
For example, we are advising Korean clients on several international financings and M&A projects; our Korean competition-law team is working with Korean clients across multiple jurisdictions; and we are advising Korean clients on EU Commission antitrust investigations.
We have been also representing Korean clients in ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL and SIAC arbitrations with our global international group. Legal 500 has ranked us as one of the leading international arbitration firms in Korea for 2016.
- Advised the arranger for the GMTN update and takedown by Hyundai Capital Services Inc. Korea's Best Green Bond deal for 2016 by The Asset
- Advised the joint lead managers in connection with Reg S note issuance by Doosan Infracore guaranteed by The Korea Development Bank
- Advised Saudi Public Investment Fund, the investment arm of the Saudi Government, in its acquisition of a 38% stake consisting of new and existing shares in POSCO Engineering & Construction Co., Ltd. for approximately USD 1.1 billion
- Advised the joint lead managers in connection with Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.’s exchangeable bonds issuance
- Advised the Carlyle Group on its acquisition of ADT CAPS Co., Ltd. and other subsidiaries of Tyco Far East Holdings Ltd. for US$1.93 billion “the largest private equity buyout deal in US dollar value in Korea since 2008”
- Advised Samchully Asset Management Co., Ltd. in its acquisition of
- a 34% stake in Cardinal Gas Service LLC from Total E&P USA, Inc., a midstream company operating in the Utica formation, and EV Energy Partners, L.P.
- one third undivided ownership interest (33 1/3%) in the Luna Energy Facility, a net, nominal 570 MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle electric generation facility located in Luna County, New Mexico, from Freeport-McMoRan Inc.
- Advised Advanced Petrochemical Company, a Saudi joint stock company, in connection with a joint venture with SK Gas Co., Ltd. for the production of propylene in Korea, valued at US$1 billion
- Advised Hanwha Chemical Corporation on the asset purchase agreement to acquire Q-Cells in Germany
- Advised Daelim Industrial Co., Ltd. in connection with its acquisition of a power station stake in Australia held by Marubeni
Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific 2017
- Top ranking in Capital Markets (International Firms)
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016
- Top rankings in Capital markets: Foreign firms; Corporate and M&A: Foreign firms, International arbitration
IFLR 1000 (2016)
- Top ranking in Energy & Infrastructure – Foreign Firms
"They are a very capable team who have a logical way of approaching things. They respond and give solutions on the spot."
"The firm has a global network which allows it to provide relevant answers to different regional issues."
"Their attorneys are qualified and prompt in giving answers to queries," remarks a respondent.
Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific 2017 – Capital Markets (International firms)
"Clifford Chance have the advantage of having highly talented people."
"For international deals they have a very good position."
"They are very proactive and responsive to what I ask."
Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific 2017 – Corporate (International firms)
"reputation for quality"
Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific 2017 – Projects & Infrastructure (International firms)
"a formidable reputation that gives it a distinct edge" and is able to draw on "a very deep bench of talented lawyers" across its network.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 – International arbitration