Clifford Chance has worked for more than 40 years on Japan related matters. We understand Japanese business and have a strong track record of high-profile work for international clients investing in Japan, and for Japanese companies building their overseas business.
A well-established team
The firm has advised Japanese clients since 1974 and opened the Tokyo office in 1987. Our lawyers know the culture and practicalities of Japanese business and advise clients on both international and Japanese law. Our fully-integrated practice of Japanese and foreign lawyers working side-by-side ensures that we are familiar with both local and international legal and business practices, enabling us to provide relevant and culturally-attuned advice. We have top-ranked teams across practices: Capital Markets, Corporate, Finance and Litigation and Dispute Resolution.
A proven track record on inbound and outbound transactions
We have longstanding relationships with Japanese companies, banks, and institutions. When we work with these clients on cross-border matters their team often includes domestic lawyers and specialist lawyers from our 23-country network. We're used to working in these extended teams to cover every aspect of a deal – from fund- raising and regulatory filings to documenting international-law issues in Japanese.
A proactive approach to client relationships
Our lawyers work hard to keep clients briefed on new developments. These range from technical updates on regulatory changes and new forms of finance, to sharing our partners' deep sector-knowledge of market trends and opportunities. We are also always searching for innovative ways to deliver the best service to our clients.
- Advised Berjaya Corporation on sale of Four Seasons Hotel Kyoto for JPY49 billion
- Advised on Toshiba's US$5.4 billion share placement
- Advised Frasers Hospitality on SG$250 million investment in Tokyo's Ginza district
- Advised leading global airport operator VINCI Airports S.A.S. on the project agreement with Kobe City for the 42-year concession of Kobe Airport
- Advised Fujitsu on formation of JV with Lenovo and Development Bank of Japan
- Advised Mitsui & Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan, on its equity participation in Forward Engineering GmbH, a leading German design and engineering company specializing in automotive lightweight structures made from carbon fiber and other composite materials
- Advised Frasers Hospitality in its venture with Sekisui House, a leading house builder in Japan with experience in developing luxury hotels, on the development of luxury serviced apartments in the Akasaka district of Tokyo. This project, to be operated by Frasers Hospitality, is scheduled to open before the Tokyo Olympic Games in 2020. The property will target affluent foreigners visiting the city, the level of which is expected to rise in anticipation of the 2020 Olympic Games
- Advised Musashi Seimitsu Industry Co., Ltd., Japan, on the acquisition of 100% of the shares in Hay Group
- Advised a syndicate including Development Bank of Japan Inc., The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd., DBS Bank Ltd., National Australia Bank Limited, China Construction Bank (Europe) S.A., The Bank of East Asia, Limited, CTBC Bank Co. Ltd. and The Tokyo Star Bank, Limited, as mandated lead arrangers, on an up to US$650 million secured credit facility for AerCap Holdings N.V.
- Announced the promotion of 24 new lawyers to its global partnership. These promotions will take effect from 1 May 2016, bringing the total number of partners in the firm to 577
- Advised Eneco and Mitsubishi Corporation as sponsors on the project financing of the 129 MW offshore wind project Luchterduinen
- Advised ASSA ABLOY, the international market leader in door opening solutions operating in more than 70 countries, on the successful conclusion of an agreement for the sale of their global car lock business to ALPHA Corporation, a Japanese manufacturer of lock and key products for the automobile, housing and industrial sectors
Chambers & Partners, Asia Pacific 2023, Japan
- Band 1 in Banking & Finance (Domestic Firms)
- Band 1 in Capital Markets: International: Asia and Euro Markets
- Band 1 in Capital Markets: Securitisation & Structured Finance
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023, Japan
- Tier 1 in Banking & Finance: International firms and joint ventures
- Tier 1 in Capital Markets: International firms and joint ventures
- Tier 1 in FinTech: International firms and joint ventures
- Tier 1 in Real Estate and Construction: International firms and joint ventures
IFLR 1000 Asia Pacific, 33rd edition (2022/2023), Japan
- Tier 1 in Banking - Foreign
- Tier 1 in Capital Markets: Debt – Foreign
- Tier 1 in Capital Markets: Structured finance and securitisation – Foreign
- "Clifford Chance provides quality advice and speedy responses, and they greatly assist in the smooth execution of cases."
- "The Clifford Chance team is very responsive and understands our commercial objectives well."
Chambers Asia Pacific, Japan, Banking and Finance (Domestic firms), 2023
- "They provide practical legal advice and suggest solutions from the client’s perspective."
Chambers Asia Pacific, Japan, Capital Markets: International, 2023
- "They understand the commercial interest of the client well, resulting in very practical and quick response."
Chambers Asia Pacific, Japan, Corporate M&A, 2023
- "The team has a strong understanding of international project finance transactions and market standards, and is able to guide us effectively."
- "We are very much satisfied with their speed, information and coordination capability with various resources."
Chambers Asia Pacific, Japan, Projects & Energy, 2023
- "The team consists of very experienced partners and seasoned counsels with understanding of client needs."
- "We have received quick and accurate feedback regarding documents and legal inquiries."
Chambers Asia Pacific, Japan, Real Estate, 2023
- Asia-Pacific Law Firm of the Year
Chambers Asia Pacific and Greater China Region Awards 2023
- Innovative Law Firm (headquartered outside of Asia Pacific)
FT Innovative Lawyers Awards Asia 2023
- Innovative Lawyers in Transforming Industries
FT Innovative Lawyers Awards Asia 2023
- Internationl Firm of the Year
- IFLR Asia Pacific Awards 2022
- Real Estate Law Firm of the Year
Asian Legal Business Japan Law Awards 2022
- Energy and Resources Law Firm of the Year
Asian Legal Business Japan Law Awards 2021