Our track record is built on more than 20 years of headline-making deals. Our Thailand Focus Group, led from the firm's South East Asia hub in Singapore, delivers world-class service and the highest quality international law advice to our clients by combining deep local experience with access to global insights through the Clifford Chance network.
A track record built on efficient multi-office team work
Our experience has taught us how to work efficiently on complex projects and make sure that we use our resources – and our clients' time – as effectively as possible. We are used to working on fast-paced projects with teams that understand local-market practicalities. Clients say that our approach and capability, our talented lawyers, and our extended team-working delivers the right results:
Highlight transactions include:
- The Kingdom of Thailand's THB76 billion (US$2.3 billion) inaugural government bond switching transaction
- BTS mass transit growth infrastructure fund
- The financing of Berli Jucker's US$6.2bn acquisition of Big C
- Burgos Wind Project in the Philippines
- The Nam Ngiep 1 Hydro Power Project in Laos
- Asia Pacific Law Firm of the Year
Chambers Asia Pacific Awards 2020
- International Firm of the Year
IFLR Asia Awards 2019
- International Firm of the Year
Asia Legal Awards 2019
- Syndicated Corporate Loan Law Firm of the Year
APLMA awards 2018, 2019
- Syndicated Project Finance Law Firm of the Year
APLMA awards 2017, 2018, 2019
Recent assignments include advising:
- Royal Dutch Shell on the sale of its 22% stake in the Bongkot gas field and adjoining acreage offshore Thailand to PTT Exploration & Production (PTTEP) for US$750 million. (2018)
- TPG Capital on an investment into a healthcare business in South East Asia, including Thai assets (2018)
- MUFG Bank, Ltd., Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation and Bank of Ayudhya Public Company Limited on the financing of one (1) Airbus A350-900 aircraft to be leased to Thai Airways Public Company Limited (2018)
- PTTEP on a consent solicitation and two cash tender offers relating to its US$1 billion Subordinated Perpetual Capital Securities (2017)
- Kris Energy on the sale of a portfolio of assets in Thailand, Cambodia and Indonesia (2017)
- Bank of China Limited and Bank of China (Thai) Public Company Limited on the financing of one (1) Airbus A350-900 aircraft to be leased to Thai Airways Public Company Limited (2017)
- A major mainland Chinese corporation in relation to its investment into Thailand and SE Asia involving electronic payment systems and electronic money (2016)
- A syndicate of banks and financial institutions on an up to US$650 million secured credit facility for AerCap Holdings N.V., one of the world's largest aircraft leasing companies based in Ireland. The credit facility was used to finance AerCap's acquisition of a portfolio of nine new narrowbody and widebody aircraft from Boeing and Airbus (2016)
- On the offering of the first domestic USD bonds of Thai Union, a world-renowned seafood processor (2016)
- Acting as lenders' counsel on the financing for BJC Group in connection with the tender offer of shares in Big C Supercenter Public Company Limited (2016)
Chambers and Partners, Asia Pacific 2020
- Tier One in Aviation: Finance
- Tier One in Banking & Finance
- Tier One in Capital Markets (Debt)
- Tier One in Capital Markets (Equity)
- Tier One in Corporate/M&A
- Tier One in Corporate/M&A: Private Equity
- Tier One in Investment Funds: Hedge Funds
- Tier One in Projects & Infrastructure
- "excellent and well co-ordinated internationally, with excellent local expertise."
- "quick to get up to speed on complex technical issues, good communicators and easy to deal with."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 – Arbitration
- "They cover Hong Kong, Singapore and a broad range of Asia-Pacific transactions."
- "They have an ability to handle big deals across multiple jurisdictions without losing quality control."
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 – Aviation Finance
- "They are reliable and very experienced in the structured finance market," report impressed clients, naming the team as "definitely one of our first choices for large international financing transactions."
- "provide comprehensive high-level legal services for cross-border transactions."
- "The team was very timely in responding to our queries, had a good grasp of our requirements, understood what we were looking to achieve and provided sound advice on the way forward."
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 – Banking & Finance
"I really appreciate that they are solution-driven and realistic about their recommendations. They follow regulatory developments as well as market developments, so they are able to provide commercially efficient and effective advice to clients."
- "Clifford Chance is clearly a market leader in the Hong Kong IPO market, and is highly reputable and experienced as both issuers’ and underwriters’ counsel. They are always one of the firms we recommend, considering their reputation, quality, experience, and resources in the Hong Kong IPO market."
- "technically strong and very reliable with a deep and strong talent pool that provides consistent and high-quality work."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 – Capital Markets
- "I like the fact that they have a very strong network of lawyers. We like working with lawyers that understand our business and they really do some good homework and knowledge transference between themselves."
- "The team is strong technically and offers very good communication and project management skills."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 – Corporate/M&A
- "I think they are very efficient. They seem to know their stuff and have a broad spectrum of knowledge"
- "They're very seamless if they need to use their offices across different jurisdictions."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 – Investment Funds: Hedge Funds
- "Clifford Chance is an international law firm which has a lot of experience in cross-border deals. They are brilliant in partnering with local law firms. The timeline was very short, yet Clifford Chance was impressively able to co-ordinate the different interests of each of the lenders and sponsors."
- "diligent and well experienced"
- "quick responses and ability to allocate resources in a short time"
- "built up knowledge of financing practices in South-East Asia"
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 – Projects & Infrastructure