We opened our Singapore office in 1981 to service South and South East Asia, making it one of the longest established international law firms in the region.
Our teams work on inbound and outbound deals across and beyond the region and these teams often include colleagues from our other Asia Pacific offices and lawyers from carefully chosen local law firms. This gives clients the right mix of local-language and local-law capability and the expertise of specialist lawyers from across the firm.
Our experience means we are familiar with the culture, market and legal intricacies in each jurisdiction, which is why we are regularly recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific as international experts in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
One platform for international and Singapore law capability
In Singapore, we have a strong team of more than 120 lawyers combining local and international talent across all key areas of our practice.
In 2008, the Singapore Government awarded one of only six new Qualifying Foreign Law Practice licences to Clifford Chance, as part of its plans to further liberalise the legal sector. This licence allows us to practice and advise on a wide range of international law, and Singapore law in the permitted practice areas. The licence was renewed in 2014 and again in 2020.
In 2012, Cavenagh Law LLP and Clifford Chance Pte Ltd registered as a Formal Law Alliance in Singapore under the name Clifford Chance Asia. The Formal Law Alliance allows the two firms to provide the broadest range of Singapore and international law services from one platform with Singapore litigation representation provided through Cavenagh Law LLP.
- Clifford Chance and Cavenagh Law advises Singapore water treatment company, Hyflux Ltd, and its subsidiaries in a high profile financial reorganisation exercise under the supervision of the Singapore High Court. (Feb 2020)
- Clifford Chance advises on Republic of Indonesia's US$4.3B Global Bonds
- Clifford Chance advises on Gimi floating LNG vessel project located offshore Mauritania and Senegal, West Africa
- Clifford Chance advises Vena Energy on its inaugural US$325 million green bond
- Clifford Chance advises Stirling Square on raising €950 million in relation to its Fourth Fund
- Clifford Chance advises Macquarie Capital and Swancor Renewable as the lead sponsors on the NT$62.4 billion (US$2 billion) financing of the development and construction of the Formosa 2 offshore wind farm in Taiwan
Chambers Asia Pacific 2022, Singapore
- Band 1 in Aviation: Finance
- Band 1 in Capital Markets: Securitisation & Derivatives (International)
- Band 1 in Corporate and M&A: International: The Elite
- Band 1 in Investment Funds
- Band 1 in Restructuring & Insolvency
IFLR 1000 Asia Pacific, 31st edition (2020/ 2021), Singapore
- Tier 1 in Banking - Foreign
- Tier 1 in Capital markets: Debt - Foreign
- Tier 1 in M&A - Foreign
- Tier 1 in Project Finance - Foreign
- Tier 1 in Restructuring and insolvency - Foreign
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022, Singapore
- Tier 1 in Banking and finance: foreign firms
- Tier 1 in Capital Markets: structured finance, derivatives and securitisation: foreign firms
- Tier 1 in Corporate and M&A: foreign firms
- Tier 1 in Financial services regulatory: foreign firms
- Tier 1 in International arbitration: foreign firms
- Tier 1 in Investment funds: foreign firms
- Tier 1 in Labour and employment: foreign firms
- Tier 1 in Projects and energy: foreign firms
- Tier 1 in Restructuring & Insolvency: foreign firms
- "They provide a second-to-none service in terms of accuracy, reliability, availability and speed of execution."
- "Clifford Chance is second to none in terms of quality of service from partners to associates, speed of execution, availability of partners and the global reach of its services,"
- "They know our preferences well and provide legal guidance depending on the transaction characteristics, which results in a successful negotiation and closing," adds another client.
Chambers Singapore, Aviation Finance, 2022
- "The work with Clifford Chance has gone smoothly and their execution has been super fast in a very short timeframe. Their team is very responsive and provides a value-added service beyond normal legal advice."
- "The team is high in calibre, responsive and client-focused," reports another interviewee.
Chambers Singapore, Capital Markets, 2022
- "Clifford Chance are truly specialists. The partners are supported by an excellent team of associates, with terrific attention to detail, a clear grasp of the issues, and an ability to manage large-scale litigation and arbitration wherever it is seated. They focus on excellence."
- "They are hard-working and try their best to understand the client's needs as well based on the true belief that their job is to represent their client's case (and not their case) in the client’s best interest."
Chambers Singapore, Construction, 2022
- "impressive breadth of knowledge and experience,"
- "very responsive and accessible team of lawyers."
- "They are thoughtful, responsive, and provide practical answers to difficult questions," according to another interviewee.
Chambers Singapore, Investment Funds, 2022
- "really first-class service, taking ownership of matters and being proactive in their thinking. We could not have done it without them."
- "They are very good and knowledgeable in new markets, especially in Asia, and have good industry experience across sectors."
Chambers Singapore, Projects & Infrastructure, 2022
- "good knowledge of technology transactions, especially within the fintech and emerging tech space."
- "thorough analysis of issues, and solution-oriented approach."
Chambers Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT): International, 2022
- "Knowledgeable, worked seamlessly across practices and offices (APAC & Europe)."
IFLR 1000, Asia Pacific, Singapore, Banking, 31st edition (2020/ 2021)
- "CC's team is knowledgeable and responsive, highly professional team."
IFLR 1000, Asia Pacific, Singapore, Capital Markets, 31st edition (2020/ 2021)
- "Familiarity with the local regulations and mindset of the regulator."
IFLR 1000, Asia Pacific, Singapore, Financial services regulatory, 31st edition (2020/ 2021)
- "Clifford Chance has very good experience on M&A matters. Very practical and provides strategic solution on our M&A project. "
IFLR 1000, Asia Pacific, Singapore, M&A, 31st edition (2020/ 2021)
- "The firm's quality of service is top level expected from a Magic Circle firm. Their main strengths are their extensive legal knowledge and diverse experience with merger and acquisition and project development transactions in energy and resource, renewable and infrastructure sector in Asia Pacific. "
IFLR 1000, Asia Pacific, Singapore, Projet development, 31st edition (2020/ 2021)
- "Pan-Asia approach. Works very well. Stellar law firm, primarily sensible, commercial and decent individuals who exude the culture that you expect in professionals and legal advisers. I feel as if it's a privilege to work with those guys because they are at the top of their game. That comes through by the nature of the culture of the firm."
IFLR 1000, Asia Pacific, Singapore, Restructuring and insolvency, 31st edition (2020/ 2021)
- Singapore Corporate & Finance International Law Advisers
Chambers Asia Pacific Awards 2021
- Asia-Pacific Law Firm of the Year
Chambers Asia Pacific Awards 2020
- International Firm of the Year
Asia Legal Awards 2019
- International Firm of the Year
IFLR Asia Pacific Awards 2019
- Syndicated Corporate Loan Law Firm of the Year
APLMA 2018, 2019
- Syndicated Project Finance Law Firm of the Year
APLMA 2017, 2018, 2019
- Real Estate Deal of the Year – Syndicated Term Loan Granted to Novel Vortex Limited in connection with the Proposed Land Development in Singapore
ALB Malaysia Awards 2019
- Asia Pacific Law Firm of the Year – Regulatory
GlobalCapital Global Derivatives Awards 2019
- Asia Pacific Law Firm of the Year – Transactions
GlobalCapital Global Derviatives Awards 2019