We opened our Singapore office in 1981 to service South and South East Asia, making it one of the longest established international law firms in the region.
Our teams work on inbound and outbound deals across and beyond the region and these teams often include colleagues from our other Asia Pacific offices and lawyers from carefully chosen local law firms. This gives clients the right mix of local-language and local-law capability and the expertise of specialist lawyers from across the firm.
Our experience means we are familiar with the culture, market and legal intricacies in each jurisdiction, which is why we are regularly recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific as international experts in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
One platform for international and Singapore law capability
In Singapore, we have a strong team of more than 120 lawyers combining local and international talent across all key areas of our practice.
In 2008, the Singapore Government awarded one of only six new Qualifying Foreign Law Practice licences to Clifford Chance, as part of its plans to further liberalise the legal sector. This licence allows us to practice and advise on a wide range of international law, and Singapore law in the permitted practice areas. The licence was renewed in 2014 and again in 2020.
In 2012, Cavenagh Law LLP and Clifford Chance Pte Ltd registered as a Formal Law Alliance in Singapore under the name Clifford Chance Asia. The Formal Law Alliance allows the two firms to provide the broadest range of Singapore and international law services from one platform with Singapore litigation representation provided through Cavenagh Law LLP.
- Clifford Chance and Cavenagh Law advises Singapore water treatment company, Hyflux Ltd, and its subsidiaries in a high profile financial reorganisation exercise under the supervision of the Singapore High Court. (Feb 2020)
- Clifford Chance advises on Republic of Indonesia's US$4.3B Global Bonds
- Clifford Chance advises on Gimi floating LNG vessel project located offshore Mauritania and Senegal, West Africa
- Clifford Chance advises Vena Energy on its inaugural US$325 million green bond
- Clifford Chance advises Stirling Square on raising €950 million in relation to its Fourth Fund
- Clifford Chance advises Macquarie Capital and Swancor Renewable as the lead sponsors on the NT$62.4 billion (US$2 billion) financing of the development and construction of the Formosa 2 offshore wind farm in Taiwan
Chambers Asia Pacific, Singapore 2021
- Tier One in Aviation: Finance
- Tier One in Capital Markets (International)
- Tier One in Capital Markets: Securitisation & Derivatives (International)
- Tier One in Corporate and M&A (International)
- Tier One in Investment Funds
- Tier One in Restructuring & Insolvency
IFLR Asia Pacific, Singapore 30th edition (2019/ 2020)
- Tier One in Banking - Foreign
- Tier One in M&A - Foreign
- Tier One in Project Finance - Foreign
- Tier One in Restructuring and insolvency - Foreign
Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Singapore 2021
- Tier One in Banking and finance: foreign firms
- Tier One in Capital Markets: equity and debt: foreign firms
- Tier One in Capital Markets: structured finance, derivatives and securitisation: foreign firms
- Tier One in Corporate and M&A: foreign firms
- Tier One in Financial services regulatory: foreign firms
- Tier One in International arbitration: foreign firms
- Tier One in Investment funds: foreign firms
- Tier One in Labour and employment: foreign firms
- Tier One in Projects and energy: foreign firms
- Tier One in Restructuring & Insolvency: foreign firms
- "They provide a second-to-none service in terms of accuracy, reliability, availability and speed of execution."
Chambers Singapore, Aviation Finance 2021
- "Clifford Chance has a very strong market position"
Chambers Singapore, Capital Markets 2021
- The team "are always pretty on the ball and understand the issues. They are very experienced in construction and engineering matters and understand how to get things resolved."
Chambers Singapore, Construction 2021
- "The firm has a very strong reputation in Asia and globally in private equity fund work. They are highly commercial and very responsive. Given their extensive work in these areas they are able to develop practical solutions."
Chambers Singapore, Investment Funds 2021
- "We have found them very knowledgeable about financial technological systems and they give us very practical advice which is easy to apply. They are very commercial in their approach."
Chambers Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT): International, 2021
- "Speed, availability, reliability, and expert advice across many jurisdictions."
IFLR 1000, Asia Pacific, Singapore, Banking, 30th edition (2019/ 2020)
- "Solid expertise and excellent transaction management."
IFLR 1000, Asia Pacific, Singapore, Capital Markets, 30th edition (2019/ 2020)
- "Commercial mindset, concise advisory emails, quick response time, and a global network of subject matter experts.”
IFLR 1000, Asia Pacific, Singapore, M&A, 30th edition (2019/ 2020)
- "Clifford Chance has deep knowledge and extensive experience in the area and were dependable in carrying out the transaction. They have a structured approach and communicate well."
IFLR 1000, Asia Pacific, Singapore, Projet development, 30th edition (2019/ 2020)
- Singapore Corporate & Finance International Law Advisers
Chambers Asia Pacific Awards 2021
- Asia-Pacific Law Firm of the Year
Chambers Asia Pacific Awards 2020
- International Firm of the Year
Asia Legal Awards 2019
- International Firm of the Year
IFLR Asia Pacific Awards 2019
- Syndicated Corporate Loan Law Firm of the Year
APLMA 2018, 2019
- Syndicated Project Finance Law Firm of the Year
APLMA 2017, 2018, 2019
- Real Estate Deal of the Year – Syndicated Term Loan Granted to Novel Vortex Limited in connection with the Proposed Land Development in Singapore
ALB Malaysia Awards 2019
- Asia Pacific Law Firm of the Year – Regulatory
GlobalCapital Global Derivatives Awards 2019
- Asia Pacific Law Firm of the Year – Transactions
GlobalCapital Global Derviatives Awards 2019