Valerie Kong is a Partner in our Corporate M&A practice in Singapore.
Valerie advises financial institutions, private equity houses and multinational corporations, on minority and majority acquisitions, divestments, joint ventures and general corporate advisory matters. She has extensive experience in the consumer goods & retail, healthcare, and transport & logistics sectors across South East Asia and other emerging markets. Part of her practice includes advising underwriters on W&I insurance policies for M&A transactions.
- Unilever on its US$2.6 billion acquisition of Carver Korea from Bain Capital and Goldman Sachs
- Kellogg on its acquisition of a controlling stake in Multipro, a leading distribution company in Nigeria and Ghana (which distributes Indomie Noodles), and a separate joint venture with Tolaram Africa, the third largest food company in Nigeria, to develop Kellogg branded snacks and cereal for the West Africa Market
- Golden Springs Group (owned by Peter Zuellig) on its auction sale of Gold Coin Management, one of the largest animal feed manufacturer in Asia, to Aboitiz
- Tyson Foods on its US$340 million acquisition of BRF S.A.'s Thai and European operations
- Ping An Capital Co. Ltd on its US$121 million acquisition of a minority stake in Fullerton Healthcare, a key player in the managed healthcare industry in Asia Pacific
- Navis on the merger of its portfolio asset, the Celebrity Fitness chain of fitness gyms, with the Fitness First chain across Asia
- GE Aviation on a strategic maintenance, repair and overhaul joint venture in Singapore with SIA Engineering Company
- Airbus S.A.S. on the establishment of a joint venture in Singapore with SIA Engineering Company to provide airframe maintenance, cabin upgrade and modification services for Airbus A380, A350 and A330 aircraft to airlines in Asia-Pacific
- PSA on a joint venture with CGM CMA in relation to the establishment of CMA CGM-PSA Lion Terminal in Singapore
- PSA on a joint venture with Ocean Network Express in relation to a terminal with four mega container berths at Pasir Panjang Terminal
Clifford Chance advises Mitsui & Co., Principal Investments and L Catterton Asia on acquisition of stake in eyewear company OWNDAYS
16 November 2018
Clifford Chance advises on acquisition of Chevron's geothermal assets in South East Asia
29 December 2016
Clifford Chance advises Ascott on US$600 million joint venture
15 July 2015
Clifford Chance advises Mondelēz on its proposed acquisition of 80% stake in Vietnam snack company for US$370 million
13 November 2014
Clifford Chance advises PSA on investment in Colombian port terminal
18 September 2013
Major Changes to the Singapore Employment Act - Extended Coverage to include Professionals, Managers and Executives
17 October 2018
Vietnam: Foreign Investment
18 July 2018
Universal Succession in Singapore – Getting the Recognition It Deserves
13 February 2017
Singapore employment act update
22 October 2015
The impact of the ASEAN Economic Community
10 April 2015
Career and qualifications
- University of Cambridge (BA LLB) 2001
- Joined Clifford Chance 2002
- Partner since 2014
Awards and citations
- “Valerie Kong is described as an "extremely impressive" lawyer, adding that she is "always available, on top of the details, and very easy to work with."
Corporate/M&A: International: Singapore: Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018
- “Valerie Kong ‘spots issues and gives you solutions before you realise there's even an issue,’ according to one client, who adds: ‘She's very quick as well; outstanding, in fact.”
Corporate/M&A: International: Singapore: Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017
- "Clients single out her high levels of client service, noting that she is 'very responsive', and does 'good-quality work'."
Corporate/M&A: International: Singapore: Chambers Asia-Pacific 2015
- "Valerie Kong is particularly well versed in M&A and private equity work in Singapore and Malaysia. Interviewees describe her as being deal-oriented and sharp."
Corporate/M&A: International: Singapore: Chambers Asia-Pacific 2014
- "Valerie Kong has been praised for her M&A and private equity work for corporations and financial institutions."
Corporate/M&A: International: Singapore: Chambers Asia-Pacific 2013
- "Valerie Kong is praised by clients as being ‘sharp and quick but composed. She’s a real benchmark lawyer who knows how to focus on what matters’.'"
Corporate/M&A: Chambers Asia Pacific 2012