Thomas Walsh specialises in international arbitration and acts as both counsel and arbitrator.
Thomas has acted in disputes across Asia Pacific having been based and working in the region since 2010. He has a particular focus on private equity and fund related disputes as well as those relating to the energy sector. He is the head of the firm's Korean disputes practice.
He is recognised as one of the leaders in Asia in international arbitration; Who’s Who Future Leaders – Arbitration describes him as "exceptional; one of the best [...]" (2017) and "is very much a leader in the Asian market” (2018) and "wins high praise as “one of the best arbitration lawyers in the market”". He is “a top-notch advocate” who peers “cannot recommend highly enough” (2019). He is similarly recognised by Chambers & Partners and Legal 500.
- Representing a HK listed company in multiple sets of emergency arbitration proceedings as well as the substantive arbitration proceedings in a joint venture dispute relating to an investment in the US technology sector. HKIAC arbitration, HK seat and HK law.
- Representing an APAC private equity firm in multiple arbitrations and court proceedings in HK, Cayman Islands and the PRC relating to a dispute with a LP and investments in German, Israeli and American portfolio companies. ICC, HKIAC and UNCITRAL arbitrations, HK seat, HK governing law. HK, PRC and Cayman court proceedings with associated injunctions, disclosure orders and confidentiality orders.
- Representing a global PE firm in multiple arbitrations relating to their investment in a PRC business and joint venture dispute with the minority shareholder and numerous international court proceedings in support of the arbitrations. CIETAC arbitrations, Beijing seat, HK Singapore and Cayman court proceedings with associated injunctions, disclosure orders, Norwich Pharma orders and contempt of court proceedings.
- Representing a European multinational in multiple joint venture disputes with its PRC based JV partners relating to the onshore operations of the JVs. ICC arbitration, HK seat, French law for two of the matters and ICC arbitration, Paris seat, French law for the third matter.
Career and qualifications
- Trinity Hall, Cambridge (BA) 2001
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2007
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2011
- Admitted as a Foreign Legal Consultant in the Republic of Korea 2013
- Joined Clifford Chance 2014
- Head of Korean disputes practice 2014
- Partner since May 2019
- KCAB Council for International Arbitration 2014
- ICC Hong Kong Appointments Committee 2017
- HKIAC HK45 Committee 2018
- KCAB Next 2018
Awards and citations
- According to one source, Thomas Walsh is "a fountain of good ideas, and wise and experienced beyond his years." He typically handles commercial proceedings related to private equity investments, shareholder disputes and energy sector-related cases. One source comments: "He's very passionate about arbitration and getting the best possible outcome for clients. He puts in a real shift and works under difficult circumstances."
Chambers Asia Pacific, Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (International Firms) – China 2020
- Practice head Thomas Walsh is a particularly prominent figure on the international arbitration scene in Korea, bringing both academic rigour and hands-on experience as an arbitrator to his work for clients. Interviewees praise him highly, one commenting: "Tom is the complete package. He is very good with clients, writes very well and is an excellent oral advocate." Another source says: "He has an excellent ability to see the case from the widest perspective, is hands-on and detail-oriented and is an excellent person to work with."
Chambers Asia Pacific, Dispute Resolution: International Firms – South Korea 2020
- Clifford Chance’s Thomas Walsh wins high praise as “one of the best arbitration lawyers in the market”. He is “a top-notch advocate” who peers “cannot recommend highly enough”. Who's Who Arbitration: Future Leaders 2019
- Thomas Walsh enters the rankings this year on the back of strong market feedback. He is active in arbitration proceedings spanning a wide range of areas, including energy and construction disputes. "The way he communicates legal concepts to the layman really impresses us," one source reports, while another explains: "He is very personable and well liked in the market. He is very well prepared and on top of things. I have been hugely impressed."
Chambers Global, Dispute Resolution (International Firms) - China 2019
- A "fierce advocate with a strong analytic mind," Thomas Walsh leads the Korean disputes practice, splitting his time between Seoul and Hong Kong. A market commentator notes: "Tom is very well regarded in the Seoul arbitration community."
Chambers Global, Dispute Resolution: International Firms – South Korea 2019
- Next Generation Lawyer.
Legal 500, Dispute Resolution: International Arbitration 2019