Gareth Deiner is a Partner in the Capital Markets group in Singapore.
He specialises in emerging markets transactions, with a particular focus on debt capital markets, including advising on euro and global medium-term note programmes, structured debt transactions, public listed and privately placed bond issues (across the high yield, investment grade and sub-investment grade credit spectrum), hybrid bond issues (including convertible, exchangeable and perpetual bond issues), Islamic finance securities offerings, regulatory capital securities offerings and various liability management and debt capital markets restructuring exercises.
- Advising the arrangers and dealers on the establishment of the US$1,000,000,000 guaranteed euro medium term note programme by Oxley Holdings Limited and subsequent US dollar issuances thereunder, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Advising the joint lead managers on the US$500,000,000 trust certificate offering (sukuk-al-wakala) by PT Garuda Indonesia (Persero) Tbk, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange (the first US-dollar sukuk offering by an Indonesian corporate issuer and the first sukuk issuance utilising the airline capacity structure in Asia). Debt & Equity-linked Deal of the Year, IFLR Asia Awards 2016; Indonesia Deal of the Year, Islamic Finance News Awards 2016.
- Advising the joint lead managers on the dual tranche US$1,500,000,000 Regulation S/Rule 144A trust certificate offering by the Government of Malaysia, listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, the Labuan International Financial Exchange and the Bursa Malaysia (the sukuk offering employed a structure utilising Shariah-compliant commodities, leasable assets and non-physical income-generating assets in the form of rights to participate in the provision of services, a world first for a sovereign sukuk). Wakalah Deal of the Year, Islamic Finance 2016; Best Sovereign Sukuk and Deal of the Year, The Asset Triple A Islamic Finance Awards 2016.
- Advising the arrangers on the establishment of the US$10,000,000,000 global covered bond programme by Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited and subsequent issuances thereunder, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Advising the arrangers on the establishment of a US$500,000,000 multicurrency guaranteed perpetual securities programme by Yinson Holdings Berhad and subsequent issuances thereunder, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Advising the dealer-manager on PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited's successful accelerated tender offer relating to its US$500 million fixed rate notes listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Advising the joint lead managers on numerous ASEAN currency denominated note issuances guaranteed by the Credit Guarantee and Investment Facility, a trust fund of the Asian Development Bank, including the dual tranche S$100 million issue of senior guaranteed notes by Fullerton Healthcare Corporation Limited, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange, and the S$195 million issue of senior guaranteed notes by IVL Singapore Pte. Ltd., listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Advising the joint lead managers on aspects of the S$500,000,000 3.80% non-cumulative non-convertible perpetual capital securities issued by OCBC Bank, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Advising various issuers and dealer-managers on numerous liability management transactions in the Singapore dollar bond market, including the dealer-managers on the successful tender offer and exit consent by Gallant Venture Limited in respect of its S$230,000,000 notes due 2018 and Medco Energi Global Pte Ltd on its successful tender offer and exit consent in respect of its S$100,000,000 notes due 2018.
- Advising the joint lead managers on the INR13,300,000,000 (US$200,000,000) senior secured synthetic notes offering by Indiabulls Housing Finance Limited, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange (the first asset-backed issue by an Indian non-banking financial institution and the fist to list exclusively on the Singapore Stock Exchange).
Clifford Chance advises on first high yield sukuk offering in Asia Pacific
10 May 2019
Clifford Chance advises Indonesian government on the first ever sovereign green sukuk
9 March 2018
Clifford Chance advises Credit Suisse and Standard Chartered Bank on Singapore's first switch tender offer
22 November 2017
Clifford Chance advises KrisEnergy on capital restructuring solutions across debt and equity capital markets, finance and derivatives
6 February 2017
Clifford Chance advises on Indiabulls' US$200 million Masala bonds
19 September 2016
负债管理 -- 亚太地区债券发行人的主要考虑因素（第二版）
14 December 2018
Liability Management - Key Considerations for Debt Issuers in Asia Pacific - 2nd Edition
14 December 2018
Greening the Financial System
8 November 2017
23 August 2017
PD3 – At a glance
30 November 2015
Career and qualifications
- Rhodes University, South Africa (BComm) 2003
- Rhodes University, South Africa (LLB) 2005
- University of South Africa (Post-Graduate Certificate in Advanced Corporate and Securities Law) 2005
- Admitted as an attorney and conveyancer in South Africa 2005
- Associate, Edward Nathan Sonnenberg Incorporated 2006
- Joined Clifford Chance as Associate 2007
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales 2008
- Senior Associate, Herbert Smith Freehills 2013 - 2015
- University of London, United Kingdom (MSc) 2015
- Rejoined Clifford Chance 2015
- Partner since May 2019
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
Awards and citations
- Gareth Deiner has been included in the latest Asian Legal Business 40 under 40 rankings which recognises outstanding legal professionals.
- A capital markets specialist, Deiner has advised on high-profile transactions across South Asia and the ASEAN region, including a multinational banking and financial services corporation as arranger on the establishment of a $1 billion guaranteed medium-term note programme for a firm which provides financial and treasury services. He worked on the deal that won the Debt Market Deal of the Year (Midsize) at the ALB Malaysia Awards 2018. One of his clients calls him the “real DCM guy,” adding that “Gareth is the first person I will call".
- ”Named as one of "Singapore's 70 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under in 2016" by Singapore Business Review, 2016.
- Named as a "Next Generation Lawyer" in Singapore: Capital Markets by the Legal 500, 2016
- Named as the "Rising Star for Debt and Equity-Linked Capital Markets" at the 2015 Asia-Pacific IFLR Awards
- Ranked as an "Associate to Watch" and "Foreign Expert Based Abroad" in Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2013-2016 and Chambers Global 2013-2016 for Singapore Capital Markets: International
- Ranked as an "Associate to Watch" in Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2012-2016 and Chambers Global 2013-2016 for India Capital Markets (International Firms): Foreign Expert based in Singapore
- Named as one of "Singapore's 20 most influential 40-and-under lawyers" by Singapore Business Review, 2014.