Melissa Ng advises on M&A, joint ventures and divestments for a range of clients, multinational companies, regional conglomerates and financial sponsors. She has particular expertise in the energy and infrastructure and technology sectors, and is regularly recognised for her work across South East Asia.
She is ranked as a Band 1 lawyer for Corporate/M&A, in both Singapore and Indonesia by Chambers Asia Pacific 2021.
Melissa heads the firm's Indonesia focus group and has an extensive knowledge of Indonesian law and practice. She is also a member of Clifford Chance's Audit and Risk Committee.
- Advising a consortium of Gojek's investors on their shareholders rights under the new shareholder agreement after Gojek's merger with Tokopedia
- Advised Navis Capital, a private equity firm headquartered in Malaysia, on a merger of its portfolio asset, the Celebrity Fitness chain of gyms, with a Fitness chain of fitness gyms in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, Hong Kong and Indonesia, which is a portfolio of Oaktree Cap
- Advised Digital Edge on its acquisition of a majority stake in PT IndoInternet
- Advised Medco Power on its divestment of a minority stake in, and joint venture in respect of, a portfolio gas IPP and O&M businesses in Indonesia to Kansai Electric of Japan
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Cambridge 2000
- College of Law Guildford 2001
- Joined Clifford Chance 2002
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2004
- Clifford Chance Singapore 2004
- Counsel since 2012
- Partner since 2013
Awards and citations
- Melissa Ng continues to command strong respect among market sources, who consider her to be "a really good operator." She advises high-profile multinational corporates and private equity funds on key corporate transactions in the energy, manufacturing and consumer goods sectors.
Ranked Band 1 - Chambers Asia Pacific 2021: Corporate/M&A: International – Singapore
- Melissa Ng is highly reputed for her talents in M&A and private equity, as well as venture capital investments in Indonesia. She often handles deals in the energy, real estate and healthcare sectors.
Ranked Band 1 - Chambers Asia Pacific 2021: Corporate/M&A (International Firms) (Expertise Based Abroad) – Indonesia
- Melissa Ng regularly advises on M&A and financings involving companies operating in the power and oil and gas space. Clients describe her as "thorough and quick" and "good with negotiations and able to give practical suggestions."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021: Energy & Natural Resources: International – Singapore
- Melissa Ng has an outstanding record in Southeast Asia M&A and private equity deals, with particularly impressive experience in Indonesia and in energy and resources deals.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021: Corporate and M&A: Foreign Firms – Singapore
- One client found "admirable" the way that Melissa Ng deals "with complicated and difficult situations with a calm demeanour and yet providing constructive solutions."
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021: Energy: Foreign Firms – Singapore