Melissa is a partner in the Corporate M&A team in Singapore.
Melissa joined Clifford Chance London in 2002 and relocated to Singapore in 2004. She has advised on a wide range of M&A, joint venture and divestment transactions across various sectors, including banking, natural resources and consumer goods. Her deal experience spans a number of South and South East Asian jurisdictions, but has particular focus on Indonesia. Melissa has a wide and very loyal client base which includes private equity funds, energy companies and other Fortune 500 companies.
- Advised Star Energy on the sale of 20% of Star Energy Geothermal, the holding company for the Star Energy group's geothermal power business, to Mitsubishi Corporation for US$210 million
- Advised SapuraKencana Petroleum on the integration of its tender rig business with Seadrill's tender rig business in a transaction with an enterprise value of US$2.9 billion (largest M&A transaction in Malaysia for 2013)
- Advised Carrefour on the sale of its 60% stake in Carrefour Indonesia for EUR€525 million to its local partner, CT Corp, which will become Carrefour's exclusive franchisee in the country
- Advised Philip Morris on matters throughout South East Asia, including:
- on the preparation of a business support agreement (relating to business support services to be provided in India) between Godfrey Phillips India Limited and IPM India Wholesale Trading Limited as well as on the amended and restated product supply agreement
- and PT Hanjaya Mandala Sampoerna Tbk on the restructuring of Philip Morris' operations in Vietnam and a joint venture with the Vietnam National Tobacco Corporation
- on the transfer of selected assets and liabilities of Philip Morris Philippines Manufacturing Inc and Fortune Tobacco Corporation, a leading local cigarette manufacturer in the Philippines, into a new joint venture company
- on its joint venture in India with Godfrey Philips India and Mr K.K Modi
- on its US$5.2 billion acquisition of PT Hanjaya Mandala Sampoerna Tbk
- on its acquisition of 50.21% of Lakson Tobacco Company Limited, and the subsequent tender offer for the remaining shares in Lakson Tobacco listed on the Karachi and Lahore Stock Exchanges
News and client work
Global M&A Toolkit
- Melissa discusses the recent DBS/Danamon deal and the restrictions on controlling shareholders in the banking sector in Indonesia (June 2013)
- Melissa highlights the key considerations for large international corporates making acquisitions in Indonesia (June 2013)
Career and qualifications
- University of Cambridge 2000
- College of Law Guildford 2001
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Trainee Solicitor London 2002
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2004
- Clifford Chance Singapore 2004
- Counsel since 2012
- Partner since 2013
Awards and citations
- According to one client on a recent deal, Melissa "was driving the process, so we felt it was easy for us. As a client we felt safe ".
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2013.
- Melissa Ng has experience on a wide variety of joint venture, divestment and M&A transactions across sectors including banking, consumer goods and natural resources. She is "incredibly good," sources say.
Corporate/M&A: Singapore: Chambers Asia 2013