Market-leading experience bringing and defending claims for both high net worth individuals and institutional clients
We have unparalleled experience and expertise in handling high profile and heavyweight claims relating to trusts, shareholders disputes involving family run companies, and investment fund disputes including private equity funds and hedge funds.
We have over 25 years’ experience of handling claims both onshore and offshore relating to trusts, foundations and investment funds for high net worth individuals, trustees and financial institutions. This gives us an ability, unparalleled among our peers, to advise in the most difficult and complex situations.
Industry-wide, regional/cross-border investigations with close contacts with all the regulatory authorities to help clients get early resolution.
We understand the acute sensitivities that can arise from private wealth disputes. Our lawyers are experienced in dealing with the most delicate and confidential issues. We understand that disputes in this sphere often carry serious reputational risk. Regardless of quantum, if the case matters to our clients, then it will receive our partners’ close attention.
We have highly skilled negotiators who have successfully concluded confidential settlements either bilaterally or in the course of mediation. They have the ability to tease out the parties’ key drivers for settlement so as to unlock even the most difficult impasses.
Our close but independent ties with other firms in the offshore jurisdictions allow us to get the best from people in a collaborative manner, drawing out strengths from across the team for our clients’ benefit.
- Investment Loss - Acting for a leading bank defending claims of US$750 million brought by Greece-based investors demanding compensation for losses sustained on the emerging markets in the wake of the 1998 Russian financial crisis.
- Breach of Trust - Acted for a leading bank’s Jersey based trust company when faced with multi-faceted claims for breach of trust by nine warring members of a high net worth Middle Eastern family.
- Fraud Claim - Advised a leading bank in the Singapore High Court in relation to a claim brought by the former Prime Minister of Georgia for losses arising from the alleged fraud of a relationship manager based in Switzerland.
- Deceit Claim - Advised a leading bank in the Dubai International Finance Centre Courts in relation to a claim alleging deceit in the misselling of financial products to members of a wealthy Kuwaiti family.
- Breach of Administrators’ Duties - Advised a leading bank in a dispute before the Milan Court in respect of claims brought by a trust company and other investors for breach of administrators’ duties in relation to a Cayman Islands hedge fund.
- Unfair Prejudice - Advised Valeri Belokon, the minority shareholder of Blackpool Football Club, in relation to an unfair prejudice petition against Owen and Karl Oyston. The case was widely reported as the most valuable in English football history.
- Russian Shareholder Dispute - Advising Vladimir Chernukhin in his dispute with Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska over the identity of the beneficial owner of a BVI company, which was Mr Deripaska’s partner in a JV holding the majority stake in a Russian textiles company with valuable real estate assets in central Moscow.
- Inheritance Claim - Advised the Michael Wright family in its high-profile defence of an inheritance claim made against the estate. The estate was estimated at about AU$1 billion, making it the largest case of its kind in Australia.
- Breach of Directors’ Duties and Knowing Receipt Claims - Advised a HNWI and a Jersey trustee in relation to a Cayman Islands derivative claim brought by Russian oligarch Viktor Vekselberg and his corporate investment company, Renova, in relation to the alleged misappropriation of assets from a private equity fund.
- Undue Influence - Advised Heini Thyssen when his father sued him and Bermuda trustees to reclaim substantial trust assets claiming that he had been unduly influenced when establishing a US$2 billion Bermuda law trust.