Our experienced team of global Healthcare, Life Sciences & Chemicals lawyers are complemented by our cross-practice specialists who deliver advice on the rapidly developing cannabis market across intellectual property, regulatory, compliance, investigations and litigation.
The liberalisation of the cannabis market in North America is a rapidly growing industry that offers new and exciting opportunities for businesses. While not quite at the same speed or with the same freedoms, the European Union is also starting to look at some more limited acceptance of cannabis-derived products, particularly in the medicinal field. The regulations and legal framework governing cannabis and cannabis-derived products are undergoing significant debate, amendment and evolution as governments and the industry look to refine and exploit the opportunities and benefits available to end users. Existing legislation is having to adapt from a flat prohibition on activities, to relax and implement new rules for new industrial uses and applications covering a range of products, including medicinal, food, cosmetic and specialist smoking products.
In this dynamic and evolving market, Clifford Chance is advising and guiding its clients through the changing and complex legal and regulatory landscape. Our sector approach, combined with our geographic coverage, ensures that our lawyers have a deep understanding of the different regulatory and commercial challenges facing businesses entering different markets around the world in connection with their cannabis-derived products.
Clifford Chance is in a unique position to offer practical and specialist advice to businesses both entering and planning to enter this exciting new market.
- a global agricultural company on the legal environment for growing, processing and selling cannabis and cannabidiol plants and products (medicinal and cosmetic) in Europe, specifically in France, Germany, Italy and the UK
- a German healthcare and life sciences company on the foundation of a cross-border corporate business structure and on the implementation of a supply chain for cannabis-based products as well as on the regulatory and legal framework for these products across Europe
- an Austrian holding company on the legal framework to import and market pharmaceutical raw materials of medical cannabis into France and Poland which may then be used to prepare prescription medicine, as well as on the marketing of CBD products in France and Poland, especially in relation to cosmetics, food and tobacco
- Clifford Chance advises Sanity Group on the largest ever European series A round for cannabis-based products
18 June 2021
- The legal framework for offering and marketing medicinal cannabis and cannabis-based consumer goods
11 May 2020
- Clifford Chance advises Sanity Group on entering the European market for cannabis-based products
24 March 2020
- Rising demand for medicinal cannabis in the German healthcare system
21 February 2020
- UK Food Standards Agency issues warning to suppliers of CBD food products
13 February 2020
- Maximum THC limit values in food products in Italy: Finally, the implementing decree
27 January 2020
- German courts confirm classification of CBD as novel food
17 December 2019
- Cannabis-Based Medicinal Products: the Doctor will see you now
12 November 2019
- Cannabis-based cosmetic and beauty products: less rouge, more green
5 September 2019
- German Government confirms classification of CBD as novel food
21 August 2019
- Cannabis-based vaping and smoking products: setting a budding industry ablaze
9 August 2019
- Cannabis-Based Vaping and Smoking Products: setting a budding industry ablaze
8 August 2019
- Cannabis 'to be legalised in the UK' within five to ten years, say MPs
29 July 2019
- Cannabis-based food products - got the munchies?
11 July 2019
- Cannabis: a new high for regulation in Europe?
3 July 2019
- Canadian Cannabis vs POCA: High time for guidance
4 March 2019
- Pot Luck: Marketing cannabis-based products for medicinal use in the UK
27 February 2019
- Seeds of Change: The DOJ's New Law Enforcement Position On Marijuana
9 January 2018