Marcin Ciemiński specialises in disputes before state courts and arbitral tribunals, including commercial disputes, public procurement, intellectual property, damages and healthcare cases.
Marcin is also responsible for handling matters concerning white-collar crime, criminal investigations, compliance and crisis management. He advises healthcare and life sciences clients on regulatory issues. As an assistant professor, he lectures in commercial law at the Warsaw University.
- Advising Mondelez Polska S.A. (formerly Kraft Foods Polska S.A.) and its affiliate, LU Polska S.A., on a high-profile dispute with one of its competitors, Lotte Wedel, concerning unfair competition and an infringement of IP rights to "Delicje", well-known Polish jaffa cakes
- Assisting clients with regulatory and internal investigations in Poland and the CEE region, also in connection with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the UK Bribery Act; representing clients in criminal investigations and criminal proceedings, defending individuals in white-collar criminal cases
- Representing clients in numerous healthcare- and life sciences-related and product liability disputes; assisting clients in the healthcare and life sciences sector with crisis management matters
- Advising clients in multi-million commercial disputes before state courts and arbitral tribunals
- Marcin has published articles on civil law, civil procedure law, arbitration and medical law in Kwartalnik Prawa Prywatnego, Przegląd Sądowy, Przegląd Prawa Handlowego, Rzeczpospolita and Deutsch - Polnische Juristen – Zeitschrift.
Career and qualifications
- Warsaw University, Faculty of Law and Administration 1996
- British Centre for English and European Legal Studies, Warsaw University – Cambridge University 1999
- University of Regensburg (Germany), Socrates-Erasmus scholarship, Faculty of Law 2000
- Joined Clifford Chance 2002
- Admitted as an advocate (adwokat) in Poland 2005
- Warsaw University, Faculty of Law and Administration – PhD 2012
- Partner since 2012
- Member of The Warsaw Bar Association
Awards and citations
- Marcin Ciemiński is noted for his commercial and civil litigation expertise as well as his work on white-collar crime matters. He regularly assists with internal investigations into alleged corruption. Sources appreciate that he is "very well organised and very good in terms of knowledge of law," going on to note: "At the same time, he is very co-operative and understanding of clients' needs."
Chambers Global 2019, Dispute Resolution - Poland, White-Collar Crime - Poland
- Marcin Ciemiński's broad practice encompasses commercial, civil and insurance law litigation. He is particularly active in white-collar crime investigations, including corruption allegations. His communication skills are much valued, as one source says: "He is down-to-earth and gives precise and to-the-point answers," and another source adds: "He's very easy to work with," explaining further that "he's service-minded and responds very quickly."
Chambers Global 2018, Dispute Resolution - Poland
- Marcin Ciemiński's broad practice encompasses commercial, civil and insurance law litigation. He is particularly active in white-collar crime investigations, including corruption allegations. A client says: "He is very self-confident, which is a huge comfort," adding: "He was always very patient with us and adapted to our style and way of thinking." He recently advised Mondelez Polska on an unfair competition and IP infringement dispute concerning its pastry product Delicje.
Chambers Europe 2017
- Marcin Ciemiński acts on litigious commercial, civil, public procurement and insurance law matters. "He is quick to respond and keeps me in the loop about new developments," a client reports.
Chambers Europe 2016
- Marcin Ciemiński has a good reputation for white-collar crime cases and often leads internal investigations into alleged corruption. Sources highlight his "in-depth knowledge of fraud regulations in Poland and internationally."
Chamber Europe 2015
- "Very talented” lawyer Marcin Ciemiński is known for his focus on regulatory matters and activity in the healthcare sector.
Chambers Europe 2014
- Marcin Ciemiński has a "proactive and responsive" approach. He handles healthcare litigation as well as public procurement and insurance matters.
Chambers Europe 2012