Stephen Reese is an experienced IP specialist advising clients on both contentious and non-contentious aspects of intellectual property rights. He advises broadly on strategy and the protection, exploitation and enforcement of intellectual property rights, including patents, trademarks, designs, trade secrets and copyright. He is a core member of our Global Healthcare & Life Sciences Sector Group.
Stephen has significant experience advising clients within the life sciences, healthcare, technology and FMCG sectors. He also advises on the UK and EU regulatory aspects of pharmaceuticals, biologics and medical devices and their interaction with IP strategy, exploitation and enforcement.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England & Wales 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2016
Awards and citations
- Band 2
"Stephen Reese is an excellent IP lawyer for a complex transaction and instils confidence." "He is innovative, pragmatic and a natural problem-solver."
Chambers UK 2022: UK-wide – Life Sciences: Transactional
- Leading Individual
Stephen Reese is a stand-out partner to work with. Personable, detail-oriented, and a deal-maker at heart, he also brings great strategic insight to disputes.
Legal 500 UK 2021: London – Life Sciences and Healthcare
- Stephen Reese has done several trade dress clearances for me and they were always excellent. It is clear that he is the mentor and sets the tone for others
Legal 500 UK 2022 - IP: Trade Marks, Copyright and Design – Tier 4
- It is clear that Stephen Reese is a mentor and sets the tone for others
Legal 500 UK 2022 - IP: Patents – Tier 5
- Notable Practitioner
Stephen Reese "understands our interests and requests very well and has an innovative and efficient approach," according to a client. He provides tailored advice on licensing, financings and corporate transactions.
Chambers UK 2020: UK-wide – Life Sciences: Transactional
- Stephen is listed as a leading "Patent Star and Transactions Star" in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars 2021
- A client stated they "found Stephen Reese to be a fabulous lawyer. In addition to his knowledge and experiences, Stephen was great to work with. My colleagues were comfortable with his way of thinking and attitude, which sometimes is more important than knowledge and experiences."
Legal 500 UK 2021 – Life Sciences and Healthcare
- 'Stephen Reese provides tailored advice on IP-driven licensing, financings and corporate transactions. He has experience working on behalf of corporates, non-profits and public sector organisations.'
Chambers UK – Life Sciences: Transactional
- The Clifford Chance IP team have "excellent knowledge about the subject matter. Very efficient and focused on adding value to the business, not just explaining the legal matters."
Legal 500 UK 2021 – Intellectual Property: Trade Marks, Copyright and Design
- A source says 'While a large City firm, an experience with Stephen Reese and his team is one akin to that of a boutique firm which focuses on commercial reality as much as legal interpretation and risks.' Another source says 'Stephen Reese is able to breach the legal firm and in-house divide; a rare gift!'
Legal 500 UK 2020 – Intellectual Property
- Stephen Reese "understands our interests and requests very well and has an innovative and efficient approach," according to a client.
Chambers UK 2020 – Life Sciences: Transactional
- Ranked as an Intellectual Property and Regulatory expert
Expert Guides: Life Sciences 2020
- Sources say he provides "a Rolls-Royce service: slick, competent and personable."
Chambers UK 2019 – Life Sciences: Transactional
- Stephen Reese is a well-known transactional lawyer noted for his "forensic attention to detail." He is recognised for his assistance with M&A deals, spin-offs and equity financing arrangements.
Chambers UK 2018: Life Sciences: Transactional
- Sources say "He has considerable expertise in the life sciences sector and the confidence to listen to views from the whole team."
Legal 500 UK 2017 - Intellectual Property
- Stephen has been ranked in IAM's Top 250 Patent Licensing specialists since 2010. He has also been cited as a top rated attorney in Super Lawyers