Stephen Reese is an experienced IP specialist advising clients on both contentious and non-contentious aspects of intellectual property rights. He advises broadly on strategy and the protection, exploitation and enforcement of intellectual property rights, including patents, trademarks, designs, trade secrets and copyright.
Stephen has significant experience advising clients within the life sciences, healthcare, technology and FMCG sectors. He also advises on the UK and EU regulatory aspects of pharmaceuticals, biologics and medical devices and their interaction with IP strategy, exploitation and enforcement.
Clifford Chance advises Telefonica on the merger between O2 and Liberty Global's Virgin Media
7 May 2020
Clifford Chance advises Pfizer on its agreement to co-develop potential Covid-19 vaccine
9 April 2020
Clifford Chance advises Merck on global strategic immuno-oncology alliance with GlaxoSmithKline
5 February 2019
Clifford Chance advises SCA on the takeover of BSN medical
19 December 2016
Career and qualifications
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England & Wales 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2016
Awards and citations
- A source says 'While a large City firm, an experience with Stephen Reese and his team is one akin to that of a boutique firm which focuses on commercial reality as much as legal interpretation and risks.' Another source says 'Stephen Reese is able to breach the legal firm and in-house divide; a rare gift!'
Legal 500 UK 2020 – Intellectual Property
- Stephen Reese "understands our interests and requests very well and has an innovative and efficient approach," according to a client.
Chambers UK 2020 – Life Sciences: Transactional
- Ranked as an Intellectual Property and Regulatory expert
Expert Guides: Life Sciences 2020
- Sources say he provides "a Rolls-Royce service: slick, competent and personable."
Chambers UK 2019 – Life Sciences: Transactional
- Stephen is listed as a leading "Patent Star" in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars 2018
- Stephen Reese is a well-known transactional lawyer noted for his "forensic attention to detail." He is recognised for his assistance with M&A deals, spin-offs and equity financing arrangements.
Chambers UK 2018: Life Sciences: Transactional
- Sources say "He has considerable expertise in the life sciences sector and the confidence to listen to views from the whole team."
Legal 500 UK 2017 - Intellectual Property
- Stephen has been ranked in IAM's Top 250 Patent Licensing specialists since 2010. He has also been cited as a top rated attorney in Super Lawyers