Our retail specialists are drawn from across our practice areas and international network and are highly experienced in dealing with the legal and commercial issues faced by multinational and smaller retailers. This dedicated team works closely with retail clients to ensure they receive the best legal advice from lawyers who understand their business.
Retail clients are facing a myriad of challenges across the globe with the rise of multi-channel retailing, online retailing, consolidation of brands, going global, cost and compliance pressure.
We regularly provide advice to domestic and global retailers on the implementation of strategic projects including expansion into new markets such as China, Russia, the Middle East and Africa, in addition to more operational or day-to-day issues such as commercial contracts, licensing, brand protection, taxation, financing, employment and environmental matters.
We also provide pragmatic advice on relevant legal and market requirements.
- Carrefour: advised Carrefour on their strategic acquisitions and disposals as well as on an ongoing basis on various matters, including; distribution, franchise, dispute resolution, competition law, consumer law and EU regulations, the establishment of joint-venture and/or franchise relationships in several countries in Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Africa and cooperation agreements with consumer goods suppliers
- Mannai Corporation QSC and EFG Hermes: advised Mannai Corporation QSC and EFG Hermes, on the US$445 million recommended cash bid for Damas International Limited, the leading Middle East jewellery and watch retailer. This was one of the largest and most complex public offers to have been implemented in the Middle East market
- Lowy Family Group: advised Lowy Family Group on the A$663.7 million sale of its 7.1% interest in the ASX-listed Westfield Retail Trust
- Clayton Dubilier & Rice: advised Clayton Dubilier & Rice on the purchase of a significant stake in leading UK variety retailer, B&M Stores
- Pets at Home: advised Pets at Home Holdings Limited (Pets at Home) on its acquisition of joint venture veterinary business, Vets4Pets