We have a truly global, cross-discipline team who advise on the full range of mining related transactions and projects. The depth of our experience, and detailed understanding of the mining sector, its drivers and competitive landscape make us extremely well placed to assist our clients in the mining and natural resources sector.
Our mining group consists of lawyers with extensive experience of advising mining firms (ranging from multinationals to junior miners) and their funders and advisers across a full range of products:
- Fundraising (debt and equity capital markets – including IPOs and multilateral lenders and ECAs)
- Project development (including limited recourse financing and the full range of commercial contracts)
- M&A (including cross-border deals for both private and publicly listed companies in the sector)
- Construction and infrastructure (we have an award-winning international construction group)
- Dispute resolution (including arbitration and knowledge of OHADA laws)
- Commodity sales and financing (including sale and purchase agreements and pre-export, streaming and net smelter return financings)
The international reach of our practice enables us to advise clients on complex, multi-jurisdictional transactions often in emerging markets. We have extensive experience of advising clients on major mining transactions across the globe including:
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East
- Russia, CIS
- South America
Our mining and metals sector specialists regularly act on some of the most innovative and high profile deals in the market, many of which have been awarded 'Deal of the Year' recognition by leading bodies in the industry.
- "Clients include investors as well as both giant and junior mining companies. The firm is described as “excellent” by one interviewee, who explains that the lawyers are “professional in the way they do their work and come back to us on time."
Chambers UK, 2019: Mining & Metals
- "Clifford Chance LLP’s ‘very professional, very presentable’ mining team is ‘reachable around the clock’."
Legal 500 UK, 2018: Mining & Metals
- "High-calibre team recommended for its experience in large power, mining and infrastructure projects."
Chambers Asia Pacific, 2018: Projects & Infrastructure
- Eurasian Resources Group on its £3 billion offer for the entire issued and to be issued share capital of Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation PLC (ENRC)
- Aluminum Corporation of China Limited (Chinalco) on various matters including its C$925 million takeover bid to purchase up to 60% of the issued and outstanding common shares of SouthGobi Resources Ltd. (a dual-listed company in Canada and Hong Kong) and on its joint venture with Rio Tinto for mineral exploration in China
- EVRAZ plc on its acquisition of an indirect controlling interest in OJSC Raspadskaya for a mix of cash and newly issued shares and warrants representing 12.43% of EVRAZ plc’s issued share capital
- Sumitomo on its US$1 billion purchase, together with Glencore, of Rio Tinto's stake in Clermont coal mine in Queensland
- The banks/lenders on various Glencore Xstrata matters including Glencore's IPO on the London and Hong Kong Stock Exchanges (the largest ever IPO on London Stock Exchange and the first ever simultaneous London primary and Hong Kong secondary listing), Glencore's US$70bn all share merger with Xstrata, Glencore Xstrata's US$17,340 million revolving credit facilities following the merger (which involved a consortium of 80 lenders) and Glencore Xstrata's inaugural bond issue which raised US$5 billion
- Rockwood Holdings Inc. on its joint venture with China's Chengdu Tianqi Industry Group, giving Rockwood a 49% interest and Tianqi a 51% interest in Australia's Talison Lithium Ltd (a global producer of lithium)
- Alacer Gold Corp. on the sale of its Australian gold mining operations to Australian company Metals X Limited
- China Minmetals Corporation on the issuance of RMB2.5 billion 3.65% bonds due 2016, the biggest single tranche bond among the five state-owned enterprises (SOEs) which have obtained approvals from the China National Development and Reform Commission to directly issue RMB bonds offshore
- Polymetal, Russia's second largest precious metals producer, on the acquisition of the Varvarinskoye gold and copper mining project, located in Kazakhstan, from Orsu Metals Corporation