Mark has extensive experience leading complex international finance transactions, debt restructurings and insolvency matters across Australia, the Asia Pacific and Europe. He leads the Perth banking and finance team and our Australian restructuring and insolvency practice.
He has specialist expertise in distressed and special situations, loan portfolio trading, convertible and structured debt, asset-based loans, holdco and mezzanine finance structures for acquisitions and projects, enforcement and recovery action and local and cross-border formal and informal turnaround, restructurings and insolvencies.
He has as particular focus on funds clients, financial investors and the mining, oil and gas and commodities sectors.
- Webuild S.p.A in relation to the restructure and acquisition of the Australian engineering and construction business of the Clough Group out of insolvency, being the largest successful trade-on and turnaround of a construction group through voluntary administration in Australia to date.
- ING Bank N.V. in relation to the amendment and restatement of a US$1,820,000,000 uncommitted cross-border secured metal concentrates borrowing base facility for Trafigura.
- Macquarie Bank in relation to a prepayment finance structure with an Indian chemical producer.
- Deutsche Bank in relation to the restructure of Noble Group.
- Deutsche Bank in relation to a multi-jurisdictional $475 million receivables borrowing base facility for an international commodity trader.
- Davison Kempner in relation to a direct lending arrangement with a global company.
- the proposed financiers (Partners Group, Highbridge Partners, Goldman Sachs, Nomura, Barclays) to Bain Capital in connection with its bid for Laser Clinics Australia
- The arrangers and financiers on the 2018 US$9.085 bullion, 2017 US$5.4 billion, 2016 US$7.7 billion and 2015 US$8.4 billion revolving credit facilities for Glencore
- A number of international banks including HSBC and DBS in relation to template projects
- Insurer AIA as borrower on a US$1.73 billion acquisition financing for ING’s insurance business in Malaysia and a HK$2.5 billion facility for general corporate purposes
- BGC in relation to the administration of the Arrium Group and the restructure of Atlas Iron, named as the Australasian Lawyer‘s “Insolvency and Restructuring Deal of the Year” for 2017 and 2016 respectively
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Notre Dame, Bachelor of Finance 2003
- Notre Dame, Bachelor of Laws 2004
- Partner since 2020
- Member of the AICD
- Professional Member ARITA
- Member TMA
- Member BFSLA
- Member APLMA
Awards and citations
- Banking & Finance
Best Lawyers Australia 2021
- IFLR 1000
Legal 500 and Best Lawyers