Mark Gillgren has extensive experience leading complex international finance transactions, debt restructurings and insolvency matters across Australia, the Asia Pacific and Europe. After more than a decade's experience in London and Australia, Mark now heads Clifford Chance’s banking and finance team in Perth.
He has specialist expertise in the mining and oil and gas, funds and private equity sectors; trade and commodity finance; finance for acquisitions and projects; as well as convertible and structured debt.
He has been recognised by Best Lawyers in Australia as a leading practitioner in banking and finance law, and is qualified to practise Australian and English law.
- ING Bank N.V. in relation to the amendment and restatement of a US$1,820,000,000 uncommitted cross-border secured metal concentrates borrowing base facility for Trafigura.
- Macquarie Bank in relation to a prepayment finance structure with an Indian chemical producer.
- Deutsche Bank in relation to the restructure of Noble Group.
- Deutsche Bank in relation to a multi-jurisdictional $475 million receivables borrowing base facility for an international commodity trader.
- Davison Kempner in relation to a direct lending arrangement with a global company.
- the proposed financiers (Partners Group, Highbridge Partners, Goldman Sachs, Nomura, Barclays) to Bain Capital in connection with its bid for Laser Clinics Australia
- The arrangers and financiers on the 2018 US$9.085 bullion, 2017 US$5.4 billion, 2016 US$7.7 billion and 2015 US$8.4 billion revolving credit facilities for Glencore
- A number of international banks including HSBC and DBS in relation to template projects
- Insurer AIA as borrower on a US$1.73 billion acquisition financing for ING’s insurance business in Malaysia and a HK$2.5 billion facility for general corporate purposes
- BGC in relation to the administration of the Arrium Group and the restructure of Atlas Iron, named as the Australasian Lawyer‘s “Insolvency and Restructuring Deal of the Year” for 2017 and 2016 respectively
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Partner since May 2020
Awards and citations
- Banking & Finance
Best Lawyers Australia 2021