Chris Yates is a dual qualified (England & Wales and Hong Kong) commercial litigation partner. Chris has a broad adversarial practice, with experience in cross-border commercial and corporate litigation, international arbitration, cross-jurisdictional enforcement proceedings and multi-jurisdiction regulatory investigations involving US, UK and APAC regulators.
Chris' client base consists of investment banks, multi-national corporations, private equity firms, sovereign wealth funds and individuals. He advises on the full range of commercial disputes, including joint ventures, shareholder litigation (class actions and securities fraud) and portfolio and investment disputes. Chris co-leads the class action litigation group in London, specialising in corporate defence.
Chris leads the firm's Sport and Entertainment sector practice in London, which focuses on representing investors and individuals involved in the sector. Alongside acting on disputes and regulatory issues, Chris works closely with his transactional colleagues in both London and abroad to service the firm's global clients investing in the sector.
- Advising a global sports entertainment company in the defence of a high-profile regulatory investigation, including commercial court and arbitration proceedings
- Advising a sports governing body in the defence of a London Commercial Court joint venture dispute
- Advising a multinational group of companies in an arbitration challenge to the legality of governing body rules
- Advising a football club regarding a sensitive internal investigation
- Acting on shareholder disputes, including the dispute concerning Blackpool Football Club
- Advising a global investment bank in the defence of class action claims under s90 and s90A FSMA
- Advising an ex-director of a global investment bank in multi-jurisdictional regulatory investigations and follow-on litigation arising out of LIBOR manipulation
- Advising a joint venture partner in a shareholder action for breach of fiduciary duty in Hong Kong relating to a significant IPO on the HKSE
- Advising high net worth individuals in trust and shareholder disputes
- Chris also advises the Invictus Games Foundation on its commercial activities and the hosting of the Invictus Games
News and client work
- CC's Chris Yates on football disputes, annoying emails and a QC's phone going off in court
10 November 2017
- Lawyer of the week: Chris Yates
9 March 2017
Career and qualifications
- King's College London (LL.B) 2000
- King's College London (PGCert) 2002
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2004
- Joined Clifford Chance 2010
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2011
- Partner since 2016
Awards and citations
- Up-and-coming Chris Yates is described as “unflappable, charming and able”.
The Legal 500 2017
- Chris Yates is regarded as a rising star in the commercial litigation arena. He has recently been active representing financial institution clients.
Chambers UK 2017