Chris Yates is a dual qualified (England and Wales and Hong Kong) litigation partner with a wealth of experience in cross-border commercial and corporate litigation, international arbitration, cross-jurisdictional enforcement proceedings and multi-jurisdiction regulatory investigations involving US, UK and APAC regulators.
Chris has a high-profile client base of investment banks, multi-national corporations, private equity firms and individuals. He also leads the firm's sports sector practice in London.
Chris is a member of our global Shareholder Risk team.
- Advising a global investment bank in defence of class action claims under s90 and s90A FSMA
- Acting on shareholder disputes, including the dispute concerning Blackpool Football Club
- Advising an ex-director of a global investment bank in multi-jurisdictional regulatory investigations and follow-on litigation arising out of LIBOR manipulation
- Advising a joint venture partner in a shareholder action for breach of fiduciary duty in Hong Kong relating to a significant IPO on the HKSE
- Advising high net worth individuals in trust and shareholder disputes
Clifford Chance secures victory for Blackpool FC President in landmark dispute
6 November 2017
- CC's Chris Yates on football disputes, annoying emails and a QC's phone going off in court
10 November 2017
- Lawyer of the week: Chris Yates
9 March 2017
Career and qualifications
- King's College London (LL.B) 2000
- King's College London (PGCert) 2002
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2004
- Joined Clifford Chance 2010
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2011
- Partner since 2016
Awards and citations
- Up-and-coming Chris Yates is described as “unflappable, charming and able”.
The Legal 500 2017
- Chris Yates is regarded as a rising star in the commercial litigation arena. He has recently been active representing financial institution clients.
Chambers UK 2017