Clare Burgess is experienced in capital markets issuances, private placements and loans, with particular focus on the infrastructure and renewables sectors.
Clare has advised on a wide range of infrastructure transactions including project bonds, private placements, corporate bonds and multi-source financings including secured corporate debt transactions (whole business securitisations). She acts for a broad range of market participants, including banks, institutional investors, multi-laterals, sponsors and corporates. She has particular experience advising on complex, credit-enhanced transactions, aggregator/portfolio financings, and restructurings/terminations.
Clare advises on the issuance of green bonds, both corporate issuance, and renewables project and portfolio financings.
- PFA and PKA on the holdco acquisition financing of the Walney Extension wind farm
- Advising the arranger on the Elazig Hospital project bond financing - the first financing to use the LS-PRI structure (Liquidity-Supported Political Risk Insurance) from MIGA and EBRD
- Advising Rotterdam Gateway on its refinancing by way of US private placement
- Advising the European Investment Bank and the European Commission on the development of a project bond credit enhancement (PBCE) product and advising on numerous transactions utilising the product including Castor (Spanish gas storage), A11 (Belgian road), Passante di Mestre (Italian road) (Bond Deal of the Year 2016 - PFI), West of Duddon Sands OFTO, Gwynt y Mor OFTO and N25 New Ross Bypass PPP (Project Bond Europe Deal of the Year - IJ Global 2016)
- Advising the Lead Managers on the Vela solar portfolio project bond, refinancing 36 solar parks in Spain, purchased by five key institutional investors.
European Solar Deal of the Year - IJ Global Awards 2016
- Advising EIB as subordinated creditor on the first SDCE (Senior Debt Credit Enhancement) transaction, involving the refinancing of the A8 road in Germany, and thereafter on the Italy-France interconnector
- Advising Transport for London on all its financing matters, including their debut green bond
- Advising the funders on the Metronet London Underground transactions leading up to and following default
- Advising the finance parties on the establishment of a secured common terms debt platform by Peel Ports, and the initial financing with loans and institutional debt
- Advising GLA on its debut capital markets issuance
- Advising the Municipal Bonds Agency on its local authority debt aggregation programme
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Manchester (LLB) 2001
- Joined Clifford Chance 2003
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2005
- Partner since 2015
- Member of the AFME Growth/CMU Working Group, together with the AFME-ICMA Infrastructure Working Group and AFME Sustainable Finance Working Group
- Member of the UK council of IPFA (International Project Finance Association)
- Sits on the European Green Securities Steering Committee (chaired by the Climate Bond Initiative)
- Board member of Hertfordshire Independent Living Service, a social enterprise