Clifford Chance Germany advises corporates, banks and financial institutions, investors and government entities. We help them succeed in global markets where commercial economic and legal factors change constantly.
Success in ever-changing markets
The roots of our German offices go back to 1949. Today our team of 300 lawyers includes over 60 partners and we have offices in Düsseldorf, Frankfurt and Munich.
Our clients are leading German and international companies. We use our industry experience, global reach and innovative thinking to help them reach their business goals.
We've built our capability to match our clients' business needs. They work in a wide range of industries, operate all over the world, and need to act decisively when opportunities or issues arise. We meet these needs with our top-grade experience, technical skills and on the ground capability.
Resources that span industries and continents
We believe that lawyers who understand their clients' industries give the most valuable legal advice. That's why we were the first firm in the German market to build global cross-practice industry groups (see Sector expertise below). Lawyers in these groups share legal know-how, offer sector-specific advice, and keep clients up to date on market and industry trends that could reshape their businesses.
Our clients rely on us for pragmatic advice and innovative solutions – wherever their businesses operate. Which is why we're used to working in multi-practice, multi-region teams combining the right resources from the firm's international network to deliver the best possible results. Recent examples of our work show our range and reach.
Committed to our clients' success
Each client, and client project, has unique needs. We aim to understand these needs at the outset and our client relationship partners make sure that we meet them in an efficient, flexible way.
- Clifford Chance becomes member of German Diversity Charter "Charta der Vielfalt".
- Clifford Chance elects 37 new partners in 2022. Among them are four promotions from Germany: Congratulations Jan Conrady (Litigation & Dispute Resolution), Dominik Heß (Corporate), Simon Schmid (Corporate) and Anna Thwaites (Global Financial Markets).
- Clifford Chance appointed 29 new partners in 2021. Three of the promotions are from Germany. We congratulate Cristina Weidner (Global Financial Markets), Dimitri Slobodenjuk (Corporate) and Philipp Stoecker (Real Estate).
- JUVE Awards 2020: Clifford Chance named Law Firm of the Year for Banking and Finance and Regulated Industries
- Clifford Chance appointed 26 new partners in 2020. Two of the promotions are from Germany. We congratulate Dennis Blechinger (Real Estate, München) and Dominik Engl (Tax, Frankfurt).
- Clifford Chance has been named Legal Tech Law Firm 2020.
- First law firm in Germany to launch an integrated Innovation & Best Delivery Hub, an integrated digitalisation and legal tech centre based at its Frankfurt office. The aim is to use innovative workflow and technology solutions to improve advisory services and interactions with clients.
- Clifford Chance positions itself as an employer of the future with its "smart working" initiative. A major focus of the initiative is on improving work-life balance. Clifford Chance has just been awarded the "workandfamily audit" certificate.
- Clifford Chance promotes diversity in the workplace and becomes PROUTEMPLOYER.
- IFLR Europe Awards 2022 has recognised Clifford Chance as the International Law Firm of the Year. Receiving 12 awards in total is outstanding recognition for our clients. Our advice on a ground-breaking renewable energy project financing in the Karapınar region of Turkey has been named Deal of the Year in the category "Project Finance".
IFLR Europe Awards 2022
- In The Legal 500 Germany rankings 2022, 25 areas are listed in top positions. Among them, 16 partners are listed as "Leading Names", six partners as "Next Generation", five counsel as "Rising Stars" and three partners as "Hall of Fame".
Legal 500 Germany 2022
- We are ranked Tier One in the following categories: Banking, Capital Markets: Structured Finance and Securitisation, Private Equity, Project Finance.
- Clifford Chance was the only firm to win two JUVE awards this year: "Law Firm of the Year for Banking and Finance" and "Law Firm of the Year for Regulated Industries", it also received nominations in Compliance and Dispute Resolution. "Excellent interaction and reliability", "top-level advice" and " highly developed sector strategy" - Our teams in Germany are pleased to have received great feedback from clients as well as the legal industry and are ranked Tier One in the following categories: Bank Lending and Acquisition Finance, Structured Finance, Investment Funds and Asset Management, Energy Sector: Transactions/Financing, Insolvency and Restructuring, M&A, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Products, Transactions in the Pharmaceuticals Sector and Real Estate.
JUVE 2020 /2021
- "Strong expertise", "impressive matter management" and "first-class practice" – In Germany our teams are pleased to have received great feedback from clients as well as the legal industry and are ranked Tier One in 9 categories: Banking & Finance, Capital Markets: Structured Finance, Dispute Resolution: White-Collar Crime – Corporate Advisory, Investment Funds, Healthcare & Life Sciences, Project Finance, Real Estate, Real Estate Finance and Restructuring/Insolvency.
Chambers Europe 2020
- "Absolute reliable" and "outstanding expertise": Our teams are pleased to receive praise from clients and the legal industry. In Germany, we are ranked Tier 1 in 13 categories: Real Estate Finance, Investment Funds, Lending and Borrowing, Project Finance, Healthcare and Life Sciences, Drug Advertising Law, Healthcare - Regulatory Advice, Healthcare - Transactions, Compliance, Real Estate, Capital Markets - Structured Finance and Securitisation, Private Equity - Transactions - Fund Formation, White-Collar Crime – Advice to Companies.
The Legal 500 Germany 2020
5 German Anniversaries
Our firm's history in Germany dates back far longer than our groundbreaking merger in 2000. In fact, our roots stretch back 130 years, to the booming Wilhelmine era of the late 19th century. Our earliest legacy firms in Germany were established back in 1890/91 in Berlin. Our 130th anniversary this year coincides with 4 additional milestone anniversaries of the firm. "Thinking big" is the story of our German predecessor firms on their way to becoming the "Weltfirma" predicted by Dolf Weber and Rüdiger Volhard, two of our visionary leading partners. It is the story of key individuals and milestones that made today's success possible. It is also a tale about a tradition of constant innovation, making it an inspiration for future generations.Read more