Clifford Chance Germany advises corporates, banks and financial institutions, investors and government entities. We help them succeed in global markets where commercial economic and legal factors change constantly.
Success in ever-changing markets
The roots of our German offices go back to 1949. Today our team of 300 lawyers includes over 60 partners and we have offices in Düsseldorf, Frankfurt and Munich.
Our clients are leading German and international companies. We use our industry experience, global reach and innovative thinking to help them reach their business goals.
We've built our capability to match our clients' business needs. They work in a wide range of industries, operate all over the world, and need to act decisively when opportunities or issues arise. We meet these needs with our top-grade experience, technical skills and on the ground capability.
Resources that span industries and continents
We believe that lawyers who understand their clients' industries give the most valuable legal advice. That's why we were the first firm in the German market to build global cross-practice industry groups (see Sector expertise below). Lawyers in these groups share legal know-how, offer sector-specific advice, and keep clients up to date on market and industry trends that could reshape their businesses.
Our clients rely on us for pragmatic advice and innovative solutions – wherever their businesses operate. Which is why we're used to working in multi-practice, multi-region teams combining the right resources from the firm's international network to deliver the best possible results. Recent examples of our work show our range and reach.
Committed to our clients' success
Each client, and client project, has unique needs. We aim to understand these needs at the outset and our client relationship partners make sure that we meet them in an efficient, flexible way.
- Clifford Chance strengthens client offering with hire of Holger Lutz to lead Tech and Digital team in Germany.
- Clifford Chance appoints three new senior counsel and eight new counsel in Germany. Congratulations Peter Burckhardt (Litigation & Dispute Resolution), Kerstin Schaepersmann (Global Financial Markets), Alexandra Margarete Uhl (Global Financial Markets/Funds & Investment Management), Amrei Fuder (Real Estate), Philip Heinzel (Real Estate), Sunny Kapoor (Litigation & Dispute Resolution), Jason London (Global Financial Markets), Georg Lübbehüsen (Global Financial Markets), Zaid Mansour (Corporate/Energy), Ulrich A. Pfeffer (Antitrust), Maria-Franziska Röntsch (Corporate/Private Equity).
- Clifford Chance elects 32 new partners in 2023. Among them are four promotions from Germany: Congratulations Julia Baedorff, Andrius Bielinis, Moritz Petersen and Simon Reitz.
- Clifford Chance appoints Jana Meudtner as its General Manager for Germany.
- Double boost for European Patent Litigation Practice: Clifford Chance announces two renowned lateral hires: Tobias J. Hessel and Stefan Richter.
- New leadership in Germany: Partner Stefan Sax has been appointed Managing Partner for Germany for a four-year term commencing on 1 October 2022.
- Financial Year 2022: Outstanding financial result with profit and revenue growth having focused on diversifying our client base, continually increasing our market share and growing in geographies.
- Clifford Chance becomes member of German Diversity Charter "Charta der Vielfalt".
- Clifford Chance elects 37 new partners in 2022. Among them are four promotions from Germany: Congratulations Jan Conrady (Litigation & Dispute Resolution), Dominik Heß (Corporate), Simon Schmid (Corporate) and Anna Thwaites (Global Financial Markets).
- Clifford Chance elects 9 new counsels in Germany in 2022. We congratulate Samuel Frommelt (Corporate), Gerd Hegele (Corporate), Tobias Nogami Kamerling (Corporate), Carolin Kemmner (Healthcare), Radoslav Lolov (Global Financial Markets), Haruka Okihara (M&A/Healthcare), Caroline Scholke (Antitrust), Melissa Staunton (Global Financial Markets) and Anne Voigt (Real Estate).
- Clifford Chance expands its German employment law practice with the lateral partner hire of Sebastian Ritz.
- Award-winning reverse mentoring: the Clifford Chance Reverse Mentoring programme has recently gained more traction in Europe and nowhere more than in Germany, where it has won a prestigious award for diversity and inclusion.
- Clifford Chance grows Munich office with high-calibre private equity team: Volkmar Bruckner, Mark Aschenbrenner and Samuel Frommelt.
- Clifford Chance named 'Europe-wide Law Firm of the Year'
Chambers Europe Awards 2023
- Clifford Chance named 'International Law Firm of the Year'
IFLR Europe Awards 2023
- In The Legal 500 Germany rankings 2023, 25 areas are listed in top positions: Among them, 15 partners are listed as "Leading Names", seven partners as "Hall of Fame", eigt partners as "Next Generation", four partners and counsel as "Rising Stars".
Legal 500 Germany 2023
- Clifford Chance named "Law Firm of the Year for Private Equity and Venture Capital"
JUVE Awards 2022
- Clifford Chance ranked Band 1 for ESG Risk in Chambers Global-wide Crisis and Risk Management Guide 2022.
Chambers Crisis and Risk Management Guide 2022
- IFLR Europe Awards 2022 has recognised Clifford Chance as the International Law Firm of the Year. Receiving 12 awards in total is outstanding recognition for our clients. Our advice on a ground-breaking renewable energy project financing in the Karapınar region of Turkey has been named Deal of the Year in the category "Project Finance".
IFLR Europe Awards 2022
- In The Legal 500 Germany rankings 2022, 25 areas are listed in top positions. Among them, 16 partners are listed as "Leading Names", six partners as "Next Generation", five counsel as "Rising Stars" and three partners as "Hall of Fame".
Legal 500 Germany 2022