Clifford Chance, Luxembourg
10 boulevard G.D. Charlotte
Additional information for Luxembourg
- Legal entity: Clifford Chance, société en commandite simple admitted to the Luxembourg bar
- Regulatory authorities & laws
- See capabilities for Luxembourg
- Legal entity:
- See capabilities for Luxembourg
We help clients navigate the technical and commercial aspects of Luxembourg and international law. And we regularly work alongside clients and international colleagues on complex multi-jurisdictional transactions.
An experienced, award-winning team
We opened our Luxembourg office in 2000, merging with a well-respected local firm that was established in 1982. Today our Luxembourg team includes over 80 lawyers including 8 partners.
We have particular strengths in M&A and corporate, investment funds, regulatory, capital markets, finance and tax. Our full-service offering also includes real estate, employment, litigation and dispute resolution. And our clients know that we can – if required – call on the firm's wider resources and international network.
The Luxembourg office is recognised by the major legal directories as one of the leading firms in Luxembourg with nine "band 1" rankings and is "renowned for advising on large and complex national and cross-border transactions."
Technical excellence and industry knowledge
Many of our clients are in the financial industry. We use our experience and carefully tuned teams to deliver technically excellent work that has the right level of partner involvement. One client described us, in Chambers Global 2016, as "Technically very strong, responsive and well organised."
Several of our partners and lawyers serve on the technical committees and working groups of Luxembourg’s financial regulator, the CSSF (Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier), the ALFI (Association of the Luxembourg Fund Industry), the Luxembourg Bankers’ Association and the Luxembourg Central Bank. Our close contacts with regulators, along with our extensive market experience, mean that we can keep clients up to date on new rules and market trends and suggest the best way to approach each situation.
Effective teamwork on international transactions
Many major corporates and financial institutions use Luxembourg-based corporate entities so we regularly work on cross-border and multi-jurisdiction transactions.
Our work with Baofeng is a high-profile example of this kind of work as this project required lawyers from several of our European offices to work together as one closely-coordinated team. We advised Baofeng, a Chinese internet entertainment and technology company, and Everbright, a major Chinese financial services company, in their successful bid through the Shanghai Jinxin investment fund to acquire a 65% majority stake in MP & Silva Holding SA. MP & Silva is a leading international sports media rights group with a large portfolio of sports media rights including Europe's top leagues in football, Grand Slam tennis, motor racing and the National Football League.
- "They are very responsive, technically very efficient and they explain things in a good way."
Chambers Europe, Banking & Finance, 2017
- "The technical knowledge has certainly never been in question and their ability to navigate our funds' regulatory approvals through the bureaucratic process in record time has been a key attributing factor to our continued satisfaction in working with them."
IFLR1000, Financial and Corporate, 2017
- "The firm always delivers on time and provides practical, pragmatic and comprehensive advice."
Chambers Europe, Employment, 2017
- "Clients appreciate the "professional structure of the firm" as well as the availability "of key lawyers to assist with our daily work."
Chambers Europe, Real Estate, 2017
- "Clifford Chance is technically excellent and responsive; very pleasant to deal with."
Chambers Global, Investment Funds, 2016
- "The practice's strengths lie in its lawyers' availability, the knowledge they have, and the very good interaction with clients."
Chambers Europe, Tax, 2016