Clifford Chance, Luxembourg
10 boulevard G.D. Charlotte
We help clients navigate the technical and commercial aspects of Luxembourg and international law. And we regularly work alongside clients and international colleagues on complex multi-jurisdictional transactions.
An experienced, award-winning team
We opened our Luxembourg office in 2000, merging with a well-respected local firm that was established in 1982. Today our Luxembourg team includes over 80 lawyers including 7 partners.
We have particular strengths in M&A and corporate, investment funds, regulatory, capital markets, finance and tax. Our full-service offering also includes real estate, employment, litigation and dispute resolution. And our clients know that we can – if required – call on the firm's wider resources and international network.
We won European Law Firm of the Year: Hedgeweek Global Awards, 2014. We're also part of the firm’s European regulatory team that won Financial Regulation Team of the Year: IFLR European Awards, 2013.
Technical excellence and industry knowledge
Many of our clients are in the financial industry. We use our experience and carefully tuned teams to deliver technically excellent work that has the right level of partner involvement. One client described us, in Chambers Global 2015, as "Very hands-on and pragmatic; exactly what you want."
Several of our partners and lawyers serve on the technical committees and working groups of Luxembourg’s financial regulator, the CSSF (Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier), the ALFI (Association of the Luxembourg Fund Industry), the Luxembourg Bankers’ Association and the Luxembourg Central Bank. Our close contacts with regulators, along with our extensive market experience, mean that we can keep clients up to date on new rules and market trends and suggest the best way to approach each situation.
Effective teamwork on international transactions
Many major corporates and financial institutions use Luxembourg-based corporate entities so we regularly work on cross-border and multi-jurisdiction transactions.
Our work with AEW Europe and China Investment Corporation (CIC) is a high-profile example of this kind of work as this project required lawyers from several of our European offices to work together as one closely-coordinated team. We advised AEW Europe on the acquisition and the financing, on behalf of a newly established partnership between a subsidiary of China Investment Corporation (CIC) and an affiliate of AEW Europe, from the CBRE Retail Property Fund France Belgium CV ("RPFFB"), of the "Celsius" portfolio which comprises 10 shopping centres across France and Belgium.
Awards and milestones
- European Law Firm of the Year: Hedgeweek Global Awards, 2014
- Financial Regulation Team of the Year: IFLR European Awards, 2013
- Debt and Equity-linked Deal of the Year: IFLR European Awards, 2013
- Restructuring Deal of the Year: IFLR European Awards, 2013
- Luxembourg Law Firm of the Year: IFLR European Awards, 2012
- Best Finance Law Firm Luxembourg: Luxembourg Finance Management Awards, 2011 and 2012
- "They have superb local market knowledge combined with seamless interaction with internal and external network partners” says one banking client “They also have a fine commercial handle on even the most complicated financing arrangements.”
IFLR1000, Corporate and Commercial, 2015
- "Absolutely our go-to law firm."
Chambers Europe, Banking and Finance, 2015
- "The team is very responsive and sticks to the deadlines that we set."
Chambers Europe, Dispute Resolution, 2015
- "Versatile, responsive and collaborative when it comes to working with third-party advisers. Clifford Chance's service is excellent, and difficult to top."
Chambers Europe, Employment, 2015
- "Very hands-on and pragmatic; exactly what you want."
Chambers Global, Investment Funds, 2015
- "The firm is very well connected across the group and can provide global coverage. It works seamlessly across its offices."
Chambers Global, Capital Markets, 2015
- "Absolutely excellent! I will definitely be using this firm again for real estate matters."
Chambers Europe, Real Estate, 2014
- "I have been very pleased with Clifford Chance's work, especially on cross-border issues involving different offices. The results have been excellent."
Chambers Europe, Tax, 2014