Clifford Chance, Paris
1, rue d'Astorg
75377 Paris Cedex 08
Additional information for Paris
- Legal entity: Clifford Chance Europe LLP
- Regulatory authorities & laws
- See capabilities for France
- View our people in Paris
- Index égalité professionnelle
A top tier national firm with a global network
Our Paris office opened in 1962 and is recognised as one the 'go to' law firm in France. We have more than 50 years of unrivalled experience advising domestic and international clients. Our team is composed of over 190 lawyers, including 38 partners, 37 counsel and approximately 120 associates. Our clients include leading French and international corporations, banks and financial institutions.
We are actively involved in the French legal community and have close working-relationships with government and regulatory bodies. Many of our partners and counsel sit on working parties that advise on industry regulations and state legislation. Our lawyers are used to working with colleagues from our network to deliver practical advice on complex issues. Our clients come to us because of our outstanding expertise across the whole spectrum of legal products, our client-friendly approach and our 'can do' attitude.
In 2017, we were awarded 'France Law Firm of the Year' at the IFRL Europe Awards 2017. In 2016, we were awarded 'France Law Firm of the Year' at the Chambers Europe Awards for Excellence and at the IFRL Europe Awards 2016. Our Paris Office also contributed to the obtaining by the Firm of the IFLR European Award "International Law Firm of the Year" in 2019. Our deals are regularly recognised by clients, peers and legal community by Awards of different legal market directories.
Our approach is tailored to our clients' industry sectors
We believe that the most effective advice is grounded in industry knowledge and local-market experience. We have established a number of global cross-practice groups which have detailed knowledge of our clients' industries and businesses and provide focused, practical and comprehensive advice.
We are known for our innovative solutions and market firsts
We provide clients with top notch legal advice in areas where our competitors simply do not have the required expertise. We have been at the forefront of innovative solutions and market firsts. We advised Natixis in connection with the first Equity Bridge Facility qualifying as Green Loan under the LMA Green Loan Framework for ICAWOOD, a fund launched in 2019 by ICAMAP and Ivanhoé Cambridge to develop new-generation low-carbon offices in the Greater Paris region. This deal was the first Green Loan type of financing of the kind; the first Fund Equity Bridge Facility to comply with the LMA Green Loan Framework.
Awards and milestones
- France Law Firm of the Year: IFLR Europe Awards, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014
- France Law Firm of the Year: Chambers Europe Awards for Excellence, 2016, 2015, 2013
Recent recognition for our deals:
- IJ Global Awards 2019 – European Innovation Deal of the year – Allego
- IJ Global Awards 2019 – European Waste Deal of the year – Belgrade Energy from Waste
- IJ Global Awards 2019 – African Transport Deal of the year – New Owendo International Port PPP
- PFI Awards 2019 – Offshore Wind Deal of the Year – Saint-Nazaire
Recent recognition for our firm:
- France M&A Legal Adviser of the Year: Mergermarket Europe M&A Awards 2018
Examples of work include:
Corporate / M&A and Private Equity
- Advising Dongfeng Motor Group, a reference shareholder of Peugeot S.A., on the merger between Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Groupe PSA
- Advising Cube Infrastructures Management on the disposal of the Idex group, operating in energy services and district heating. - European Distribution Deal of the Year: IJ Global Awards 2018
- Advising PAI Partners on disposal of the B&B Hotels group to Goldman Sachs.
- Advising Dassault Systèmes on the financing of the acquisition of Medidata
- Advising BNP Paribas and Société Générale on the financing of the acquisition of Courir, a member of the Go Sport Group, by Equistone.
- Advising AKIEM Group with a EUR 1 200M financing package to refinance its current debt and support its future growth
- Advising EMF in connection with the development, financing, construction and operation of three of the first major offshore wind farm projects in France, located off the Atlantic coast in Fécamp (498MW), Courseulles-sur-Mer (450MW) and Saint-Nazaire (480MW) in France. The Saint-Nazaire project was recently named Offshore Wind Deal of the Year at the PFI Awards 2019.
- Advising AfDB and EAIF on the financing of multi-purpose port terminal at Owendo, Gabon. African Transport Deal of the year: IJ Global Awards 2019
- Advising EBRD, IFC and OeEB in connection with the solid waste to energy PPP project in Belgrade (Serbia) - European Waste deal of the year: IJGlobal 2019.
- Advising RCI Banque on the issuance of a Tier 2 ("T2") capital instrument in the form of a bond issuance under the new rules set out in CRR2 and on the eligibility of such instruments to the TLAC and to the MREL under BRRD 2 and SRMR 2
- Advising Crédit Agricole and CACEIS on the combination of Crédit Agricole (CACEIS) and Santander (Securities Services) custody and asset servicing businesses
- Advising different clients on BREXIT and FinTech issues.
Debt and Equity Capital Markets
- Advising Accor SA on its multiple bond issuances (Senior and Hybrid) with Tender Offers
- Advising Accor on the first four tranches of its share buyback program
- Advised Nicox, an international ophthalmology company, on the completion of a financing through a private placement and capital increase
- Advising the syndicate of international, local and regional bookrunners and financial advisors on the successful completion of the initial public offering of Arabian Centres Company, the largest shopping mall developer, operator and owner in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. IFLR Middle East Equity Deal of the Year, 2019.
- Advising Natixis in connection with the first Equity Bridge Facility qualifying as Green Loan under the LMA Green Loan Framework for ICAWOOD, a fund launched in 2019 by ICAMAP and Ivanhoé Cambridge to develop new-generation low-carbon offices in the Greater Paris region
- Advising XPO and Ingram Micro on pan-European trade receivables programme
- Advising on whole-business securitisations in relation to leading car rental companies
- Advising on the implementation of Crédit Agricole's ABCP conduits
- Advising Schroders on the setting-up of the new infra debt fund, and on investments made by such new funds in various European countries
- Advising on different projects and infrastructure financings using debt capital markets instruments.
Real Estate and Real Estate Finance
- Advising AEW, acting on behalf of a French institutional investor, on the sale of the PB6 Tower to BauMont Real Estate Capital, acting on behalf of the Sovereign Wealth Fund GIC for more than EUR 500m. The PB6 Tower is a 60,000 sq m iconic building located in the heart of La Défense
- Advising Primonial REIM and Samsung SRA on the EUR 1.1 billion financing of the acquisition from Tishman Speyer of "Lumière", the largest offices property in Paris
- Advising AEW in relation to the EU financing of a pan European logistics portfolio
- Advising Morgan Stanley in relation to EU pan-European financing of a logistics portfolio acquired by funds under the management of Blackstone
- Acting for Partners Group and Arax Properties regarding the financing of the acquisition of the office building Perspective Defense.
- Advising the DGAC (General Directorate of Civil Aviation) of the Ministry of Ecological and Solidarity Transition) on the termination of the concession for the NDDL, Nantes-Atlantique and Saint-Nazaire - Montoir airports and on the award of the new concession for the Nantes-Atlantique airport
- Assistance to Société du Grand Paris in the restructuring into design-build contracts of the contracts awarded for the construction of lines 15 East and 15 West of the Grand Paris Express public transport network, for their award procedure and the monitoring of their execution.This is currently the largest construction site in France.
Litigation / White-Collar
- Successfully assisted Airbus S.E. in concluding a global joint resolution with the French Parquet National Financier, the UK Serious Fraud Office and the US Department of Justice.
- A worldwide leading consumer goods & retail company on its strategic, board-level GDPR compliance project spanning across the European Economic Area and several countries outside Europe.
- “Clifford Chance’s Paris office is renowned as one of the strongest international firms in the French market. It attracts a high-calibre client base through its market-leading position in various transactional and contentious areas and has notable appeal for handling cross-border matters. While offering a distinguished and comprehensive service, the practice is most highly rated in banking, capital markets, litigation and corporate compliance. […]
It [Paris] is an important location for the firm's African expertise and it is particularly well equipped to lead pan-European cross-border matters, as well as in a global context. A broad range of clients refer to the firm's international capabilities in Paris and value the team's role both as French counsel on inbound work and its strength in managing outbound mandates.
Clients praise the firm’s ability to execute successful cross-border deals, observing that the team is “accustomed to the international context and different cultures.” … “high-class practice,” … “They cover French, English and US law, which is needed for top-of-the-market deals.””
Chambers Global 2020 – France: International & Cross-Border Capabilities Department
- "The Paris arm of international powerhouse Clifford Chance continues to be praised for its leading position in the French market. The exceptional team boasts an extensive client portfolio of key players within the financial sector who benefit from the firm's vast global network and full service offering. The Paris office provides clients with expertise in a number of practice areas and industry sectors, as diverse as acquisition finance, international projects, public law and sport. A standout recent mandate for the department in the private equity sphere has been assisting Cinven with its EUR1.3 billion acquisition of Labco from a consortium of investors."
France Law Firm of the Year: Chambers Europe Awards for Excellence, 2016
- Capital Markets
- Funds & Investment Management
- Intellectual Property
- Islamic Finance
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Private Equity
- Project Finance
- Public Policy
- Real Estate
- Regulatory Investigations & Financial Crime
- Restructuring & Insolvency
- Telecommunications, Media & Technology