We use our three decades of experience in Poland – and our international capability – to help our clients make the most of domestic, regional, and international business opportunities.
Well-established in the Polish market
We opened our Warsaw office in 1992 and today we have a team of over 110 lawyers, including 11 partners. Most of our lawyers are qualified in Polish law and all are fluent in English.
Top-tier work across a range of sectors and legal areas
We have close working relationships with leading banks and financial institutions, and top-tier corporates. We work with domestic and international clients. Polish companies value the way we put the firm's resources to work on their behalf. International companies know that our on-the-ground capability delivers results. And all our clients rely on our technical excellence, pragmatic advice and client-focused approach.
- International law firm of the year
IFLR Europe Awards 2022
- Law Firm of the Year: Poland
Chambers Europe Awards 2021
- Law Firm of the Year: Poland
IFLR European Awards 2020
- Central & Eastern Europe M&A Legal Adviser of the Year
MergerMarket Europe M&A Awards 2019
- Clifford Chance advised Allegro, the most popular shopping platform in Poland and one of the world’s top ten e-commerce websites, on its acquisition of 100% of the shares of Mall Group a.s. and WE I DO CZ s.r.o. from the selling shareholders PPF, EC Investments, and Rockaway Capital for a total consideration of EUR 881m.
- Clifford Chance advised Cellnex Telecom, Europe’s leading operator of wireless telecommunications and broadcasting infrastructure, on its PLN 7bn acquisition of 99,99% of Polkomtel Infrastruktura, the owner of the passive and active layers of Polsat Group’s mobile telecom infrastructure in Poland, from Cyfrowy Polsat and Polkomtel.
- Clifford Chance advised Budimex, one of the largest construction groups operating in Poland, on the sale of Budimex Nieruchomości, a subsidiary of Budimex, to Cornerstone Partners and Crestyl Real Estate for PLN 1.5 billion.
- Clifford Chance acted for Abener Energia, a company operating in the renewable energy sector and a subsidiary of Abengoa, in connection with the settlement concluded with Elektrociepłownia Stalowa Wola (ECSW). The settlement, under which ECSW undertook to pay Abener Energia EUR 92.8 million, regulates the settlement of accounts under a contract for the construction of a combined cycle gas and steam unit.
- Clifford Chance advised a consortium of banks composed of Bank Pekao, mBank, BNP Paribas Bank Polska, Caixa Bank, ING Bank Śląski, Bank Handlowy w Warszawie, DNB Bank Polska and Santander Bank Polska on the tenor extension, increase of the syndicated financing for the Inter Cars group up to PLN 1,64 billion and the total refinancing of DNB Bank's commitment by Santander Bank Polska.
- Clifford Chance advised Allegro Pay sp. z o.o. in connection with an innovative agreement concluded on the rapidly growing Fintech market. The agreement sets out the framework for cooperation between Allegro Pay (as the originator of consumer credit receivables on the Allegro platform) and Aion Bank SA (as the purchaser of receivables).
- Clifford Chance advised ING Commercial Finance Polska S.A. on the first ever syndicated factoring programme in Poland. ING Commercial Finance Polska S.A. acting as factor and factoring agent together with a consortium of factors, including Eurofactor Polska S.A., mFaktoring S.A., BNP Paribas Faktoring sp. z o.o. and Santander Factoring sp. z o.o., have established a non-recourse factoring programme with a total value of up to PLN 1 billion for one of their clients. It was the first transaction on the Polish market involving a factoring consortium.
- Chance advised Coca-Cola HBC Poland & Baltics on the acquisition of Costa Express, part of Costa Coffee in Poland. Costa Express is a provider of self-service coffee machines available at gas stations, retail stores, sports facilities and offices.
- Clifford Chance advised mBank S.A. on a synthetic securitisation transaction on a portfolio of corporate loans with the total value of almost PLN 9 billion. It was the first STS synthetic securitization in Poland, as well as the first transaction in the Polish market executed entirely with a private sector investor, and the first Polish SRT trade with a credit linked note issued directly by the bank.
- Clifford Chance advised Projekt Solartechnik, a company belonging to the FAMUR Group, on the sale of a developed portfolio of solar projects with a capacity of 184 MW, to Spoleto belonging to the international independent energy producer Alternus Energy Group. The value of the transaction was up to PLN 750 million. It was one of the largest transactions by value in the history of the PV industry in the CEE region.
Directory and client comments
Chambers Europe 2022
- Band 1 in Banking & Finance in Poland
- Band 1 in Capital Markets: Debt in Poland
- Band 1 in Competition/Antitrust in Poland
- Band 1 in Corporate/M&A in Poland
- Band 1 in Dispute Resolution in Poland
- Band 1 in Private Equity in Poland
- Band 1 in Restructuring/Insolvency in Poland
Clifford Chance is a superb team with an excellent track record in handling complex cross-border M&A transactions, as well as the creation of high-impact joint ventures. The team has impressive experience across a range of industry sectors including financial services, media and IT. The law firm is also highly active on private equity deals. Clifford Chance's enviable client roster features high-profile domestic, European and international corporates.
Clients enthuse that Clifford Chance's team is "well prepared and has a great knowledge of legal problems."
Other clients affirm that the firm "delivers the work to a high standard and level of diligence."
Chambers Europe 2022: Corporate/M&A – Poland
Clifford Chance is a market-leading practice group representing both lenders and borrowers. The law firm is active on the full range of banking and finance transactions, covering areas such as acquisition and project finance as well as debt refinancing. The legal practice boasts a client roster of sizeable domestic and regional banks as well as developmental financial institutions. Clifford Chance also acts on project financing in the energy sector. The law firm benefits from its global network and is frequently sought out by international clients.
Clients praise the law firm's "depth of team" and "top-tier service quality."
"They deliver on time. They're capable of running negotiations in a smooth and efficient manner," a client says.
Chambers Europe 2022: Banking & Finance – Poland
Clifford Chance fields a highly respected real estate team that also offers strong expertise in construction matters. The law firm's client roster includes international investors, contractors and property developers. Its extensive international network allows the team to effectively tackle cross-border mandates. The practice is active on transactions featuring a range of property assets, including office buildings, shopping centres and logistics parks. The law firm also represents clients in construction disputes and assists with construction contracts. Additionally, Clifford Chance houses a strong real estate financing practice group.
One client notes approvingly: "They always come with a creative solution that would defend our interests and could satisfy the other party as well, thus being able to close matters swiftly."
Another interviewee appreciates: "They have such a huge amount of work and they always manage to do it. They work throughout the night and the team is always responsive."
Chambers Europe 2022: Construction/Real Estate – Poland
Clifford Chance has an outstanding team with a comprehensive dispute resolution practice covering high-stakes arbitration, including investment arbitration, as well as commercial disputes and white-collar crime matters. The team advises banks and other financial institutions, in addition to blue-chip international corporate clients from a broad array of industries. The law firm handles commercial litigation, with activity involving construction, financial regulatory, energy and shareholder disputes.
"Clifford Chance offers us a dedicated team of lawyers with industry knowledge and high legal skills. The lawyers have high competencies, a pro-business approach and attitude to solve complex problems," one client enthuses.
"They are practical and good at understanding what we need and don't need," an additional client reports. Chambers Europe 2022: Dispute Resolution – Poland