Clifford Chance uses our almost three decades of experience in Poland – and our international capability – to help our clients make the most of domestic, regional, and international business opportunities.
Well-established in the Polish market
We opened our Warsaw office in 1992 and today we have a team of 90+ lawyers, including nine partners. Most of our lawyers are qualified in Polish law and all are fluent in English.
Top-tier work across a range of sectors and legal areas
We have close working relationships with leading banks and financial institutions, and top-tier corporates. We work with domestic and international clients. Polish companies value the way we put the firm's resources to work on their behalf. International companies know that our on the-ground capability delivers results. And all our clients rely on our technical excellence, pragmatic advice and client-focused approach.
- Law Firm of the Year: Poland
IFLR European Awards 2020
- Central & Eastern Europe M&A Legal Adviser of the Year
MergerMarket Europe M&A Awards 2019
- Clifford Chance advised Allegro, Poland’s number one commerce platform and most recognised e-commerce brand, on its PLN 44 billion (USD 11.2 billion) IPO, Warsaw Stock Exchange's largest IPO to date.
- Clifford Chance advised Cellnex Telecom, Europe’s leading operator of wireless telecommunications and broadcasting infrastructures, on its first transaction in Poland. As a result of an agreement with Iliad, Cellnex will invest c. €800 million to acquire a 60% controlling stake in the company that will operate Play's approx. 7,000 telecommunications sites in Poland.
- Clifford Chance advised AXA Group on the EUR 1 billion agreement with the UNIQA Insurance Group under which AXA sold 100% of its Life & Savings, Property & Casualty and Pension businesses in Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Clifford Chance advised Bank Pekao, one of the largest Polish banks, on a bilateral facility to finance the acquisition of a majority stake in Displate, a user-generated content-driven marketplace offering designs printed on metal plates.
- Clifford Chance advised the Three Seas Initiative Investment Fund on its acquisition of 100% of the shares in the company Industrial Division, trading under the Cargounit brand, the largest private locomotive leasing company in Poland and the sixth largest company in the rolling stock industry in Europe.
- Clifford Chance advised Sun Investment Group Polska on the sale of a 170 MW turnkey portfolio to be developed in Poland by Sun Investment Group, to Ignitis Renewables, an international energy company and one of the largest energy groups in the Baltic region. It was one of the largest solar transactions of this kind in Central Europe so far.
- Clifford Chance advised PKN ORLEN on the PLN 1 billion issue of bonds under the company’s existing domestic bonds programme. This was Central Europe’s first ever issuance of corporate bonds linked to an MSCI ESG Rating, with the interest rate based on an independent environmental, social and governance (ESG) rating.
- Clifford Chance advised Ringier Axel Springer Media on its acquisition of the shares of Gratka.pl, one of the largest and most popular generalist classifieds services in Poland, and the announcement of a tender offer for 100% shares of MZN Property, one of the largest providers of online real estate related services in Poland, owner of Morizon.pl and Lendi.pl.
- Clifford Chance advised mBank in connection with the issue of bonds of up to PLN 150 million by Echo Investment, Poland's largest property developer. The issue was conducted under a bond issue programme for up to PLN 1 billion.
- Clifford Chance advised INEA, one of the leaders in an open-access fiber-optic network in Poland, on amending the existing credit facility agreement in order to increase the available financing by over 400 million PLN and on adjusting that agreement to the company's investment plans.
Chambers Europe 2020
- Band 1 in Banking & Finance in Poland
- Band 1 in Capital Markets: Debt in Poland
- Band 1 in Competition/Antitrust in Poland
- Band 1 in Construction in Poland
- Band 1 in Corporate/M&A in Poland
- Band 1 in Dispute Resolution in Poland
- Band 1 in Private Equity in Poland
- Band 1 in Restructuring/Insolvency in Poland
- The team's approach to facing other parties draws commendations from clients, one noting "the quality of work and a very good atmosphere during the negotiations."
Sources highlight the team's in-depth experience in advising both creditors and companies.
Chambers Europe 2020: Banking & Finance – Poland
- The team draws praise from clients for its customer-oriented approach, one saying: "They quickly worked out what we wanted as clients and worked well for us in difficult and trying circumstances."
Chambers Europe 2020: Construction/Real Estate – Poland
- Clients appreciate the group's business-focused approach, with one describing the team as being "creative when it comes to finding solutions to problems, particularly in joint venture scenarios."
Sources highlight the team's dedication, one noting how "whenever we needed them, weekends or week evenings, they were always available," adding that they "delivered on promises."
Chambers Europe 2020: Corporate/M&A – Poland
- Clients note the team's ability to work independently of constant supervision. "From the client perspective, it is very easy to work with them," a source says, adding: "You give them instructions and they come up with proposals. They're very efficient in managing their own budget. No disputes with them."
Clients praise the team's dedication, with one describing the team as "tenacious and determined; they didn't let setbacks in the judicial process get them down. They kept pushing all the way."
Chambers Europe 2020: Dispute Resolution – Poland