Clifford Chance uses our almost three decades of experience in Poland – and our international capability – to help our clients make the most of domestic, regional, and international business opportunities.
Well-established in the Polish market
We opened our Warsaw office in 1992 and today we have a team of 90+ lawyers, including nine partners. Most of our lawyers are qualified in Polish law and all are fluent in English.
Top-tier work across a range of sectors and legal areas
We have close working relationships with leading banks and financial institutions, and top-tier corporates. We work with domestic and international clients. Polish companies value the way we put the firm's resources to work on their behalf. International companies know that our on the-ground capability delivers results. And all our clients rely on our technical excellence, pragmatic advice and client-focused approach.
- Law Firm of the Year: Poland
Chambers Europe Awards 2021
- Law Firm of the Year: Poland
IFLR European Awards 2020
- Central & Eastern Europe M&A Legal Adviser of the Year
MergerMarket Europe M&A Awards 2019
- Clifford Chance advised Allegro, Poland’s number one commerce platform and most recognised e-commerce brand, on its PLN 44 billion (USD 11.2 billion) IPO, Warsaw Stock Exchange's largest IPO to date.
- Clifford Chance advised Cellnex Telecom, Europe’s leading operator of wireless telecommunications and broadcasting infrastructures, on its first transaction in Poland. As a result of an agreement with Iliad, Cellnex will invest c. €800 million to acquire a 60% controlling stake in the company that will operate Play's approx. 7,000 telecommunications sites in Poland.
- Clifford Chance advised AXA Group on the EUR 1 billion agreement with the UNIQA Insurance Group under which AXA sold 100% of its Life & Savings, Property & Casualty and Pension businesses in Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Clifford Chance advised Bank Pekao, one of the largest Polish banks, on a bilateral facility to finance the acquisition of a majority stake in Displate, a user-generated content-driven marketplace offering designs printed on metal plates.
- Clifford Chance advised the Three Seas Initiative Investment Fund on its acquisition of 100% of the shares in the company Industrial Division, trading under the Cargounit brand, the largest private locomotive leasing company in Poland and the sixth largest company in the rolling stock industry in Europe.
- Clifford Chance advised Sun Investment Group Polska on the sale of a 170 MW turnkey portfolio to be developed in Poland by Sun Investment Group, to Ignitis Renewables, an international energy company and one of the largest energy groups in the Baltic region. It was one of the largest solar transactions of this kind in Central Europe so far.
- Clifford Chance advised PKN ORLEN on the PLN 1 billion issue of bonds under the company’s existing domestic bonds programme. This was Central Europe’s first ever issuance of corporate bonds linked to an MSCI ESG Rating, with the interest rate based on an independent environmental, social and governance (ESG) rating.
- Clifford Chance advised Ringier Axel Springer Media on its acquisition of the shares of Gratka.pl, one of the largest and most popular generalist classifieds services in Poland, and the announcement of a tender offer for 100% shares of MZN Property, one of the largest providers of online real estate related services in Poland, owner of Morizon.pl and Lendi.pl.
- Clifford Chance advised mBank in connection with the issue of bonds of up to PLN 150 million by Echo Investment, Poland's largest property developer. The issue was conducted under a bond issue programme for up to PLN 1 billion.
- Clifford Chance advised INEA, one of the leaders in an open-access fiber-optic network in Poland, on amending the existing credit facility agreement in order to increase the available financing by over 400 million PLN and on adjusting that agreement to the company's investment plans.
Chambers Europe 2021
- Band 1 in Banking & Finance in Poland
- Band 1 in Capital Markets: Debt in Poland
- Band 1 in Competition/Antitrust in Poland
- Band 1 in Corporate/M&A in Poland
- Band 1 in Dispute Resolution in Poland
- Band 1 in Private Equity in Poland
- Band 1 in Restructuring/Insolvency in Poland
Market-leading practice group representing both lenders and borrowers. Active on the full range of banking and finance transactions, covering areas such as acquisition and project finance as well as debt refinancing. Boasts a client roster of sizeable domestic and regional banks as well as developmental financial institutions. Active on project financing in the energy sector. Benefits from its global network and is frequently sought out by international clients.
Clients appreciate the support and availability the lawyers offer. "The team of highly experienced lawyers with an outstanding capability to introduce and explain every single issue. Each time we are provided with all possible solutions and risk description so we fully understand our possibilities "a client says.
"I like that they are always available," a client says, adding: "The lawyers are always very well prepared and are very responsive." Chambers Europe 2021: Banking & Finance – Poland
Highly respected real estate team that also offers strong expertise in construction matters. Client roster includes international investors, contractors and property developers. Extensive international network allows the team to effectively tackle cross-border mandates. Active on transactions featuring a range of property assets including office buildings, shopping centres and logistics parks. Frequently represents clients in construction disputes and also assists with construction contracts. Additionally houses a strong real estate financing practice group.
"I find it very easy to communicate with them. They are always trying to work on the bottom line, also the business issues, and they always work very hard and look for innovative solutions. They think a lot to come up with the solutions," a client reports.
"They are really good," a client says, adding: "They are very solid and loyal." Chambers Europe 2021: Construction/Real Estate – Poland
Superb team with an excellent track record in handling complex cross-border M&A transactions, as well as the creation of high-impact joint ventures. Impressive experience across a range of industry sectors including financial services, media and IT. Also highly active on private equity deals. Enviable client roster features high-profile domestic, European and international corporates.
Satisfied clients enthuse: "What makes Clifford Chance stand out is their engagement, responsiveness and the feel that they are really working for you." Chambers Europe 2021: Corporate/M&A – Poland
Outstanding team with a comprehensive dispute resolution practice covering high-stakes arbitration, including investment arbitration, as well as commercial disputes and white-collar crime matters. Advises banks and other financial institutions, in addition to blue-chip international corporate clients from a broad array of industries. Handles commercial litigation, with activity involving construction, financial regulatory, energy and shareholder disputes.
Clients praise the firm's commercial approach: "I find it very easy to communicate with them. They are always trying to work on the bottom line and business issues. They always work very hard and look for innovative solutions."
Another client reports that the team provides "real solutions and advice suitable for the client, their advice is not just theoretical," adding that "their information is clear and comprehensible." Chambers Europe 2021: Dispute Resolution – Poland