We support Central Government departments and wider public sector clients to deliver their complex, innovative and strategically important projects.
Our dedicated UK Government team draws together public sectors specialists from around the firm, including former senior government lawyers.
We understand the intricate nuances of the public sector landscape and are adept at navigating these efficiently and effectively.
We can help whether it is responding to unexpected and urgent events (for example, market interventions, cyber-attacks or supplier insolvencies), planned and long-term initiatives (such as PPPs and disaggregating complex IT contracts) or assistance with the post-EU world (for example, negotiating free trade agreements or advice on WTO or GPA rules). Our global network means that we also have a deep understanding of how other governments and the private sector tackle similar challenges.
We have experts in all areas relevant to UK Government bodies including:
- Administrative and Public Law
- Antitrust & Competition
- Commercial Contracts
- Cyber Security and Information Protection
- Data Privacy
- Employment, HR, TUPE and Pensions
- Financial Regulation and other complex finance matters
- Intellectual Property
- International Trade
- Litigation, Dispute Resolution & Risk Management
- Procurement Law
- Public International Law
- Public Inquiries and Inquests
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Finance
- Restructuring & Insolvency
- State Aid
We advise a range of clients across the UK central government and wider public sector.
Recent work highlights include:
- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy and the Vaccine Task Force on the production and roll-out of the UK's Covid-19 vaccination programme
- HM Treasury and the UK Debt Management Office on the UK's second sukuk issuance
- Department of Health & Social Care on various Test and Trace initiatives
- Department for International Trade on the EU-UK TCA and various continuity agreements
- Official Receiver (part of the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy) on all aspects of the liquidation of British Steel and related matters
- Network Rail on the biggest and most complex land transaction in the UK when it sold its Commercial Estates Business
- The UK Debt Management Office on a range of issues in connection with its gilt issuance programme
- HM Treasury on a range of issues by providing additional legal resource to the Treasury Legal Advisers and the second UK Sovereign Sukuk issuance