We support Central Government departments and wider public sector clients to deliver their complex, innovative and strategically important projects.
Our dedicated UK Government team draws together public sectors specialists from around the firm, including former senior government lawyers.
We understand the intricate nuances of the public sector landscape and are adept at navigating these efficiently and effectively.
We can help whether it is responding to unexpected and urgent events (for example, market interventions, cyber-attacks or supplier insolvencies), planned and long-term initiatives (such as PPPs and disaggregating complex IT contracts) or assistance with the post-EU world (for example, negotiating free trade agreements or advice on WTO or GPA rules). Our global network means that we also have a deep understanding of how other governments and the private sector tackle similar challenges.
We have experts in all areas relevant to UK Government bodies including:
- Administrative and Public Law
- Antitrust & Competition
- Commercial Contracts
- Cyber Security and Information Protection
- Data Privacy
- Employment, HR, TUPE and Pensions
- Financial Regulation and other complex finance matters
- Intellectual Property
- International Trade
- Litigation, Dispute Resolution & Risk Management
- Procurement Law
- Public International Law
- Public Inquiries and Inquests
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Finance
- Restructuring & Insolvency
- State Aid
We advise a range of clients across the UK public sector including Department for Transport, HM Treasury, Network Rail, UK Government Investments, UK Debt Management Office, FSCS, British Business Bank, Bank of England, Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, Department for Health & Social Care and Oil & Gas Authority.
Recent work highlights include:
- Network Rail on the biggest and most complex land transaction in the UK when it sold its Commercial Estates Business
- Official Receiver (part of the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy) and Special Managers appointed to support the Official Receiver to advise them on all aspects of the liquidation of British Steel and related matters
- Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) on the complex disaggregation of an IT contract
- The UK Debt Management Office on a range of issues in connection with its gilt issuance programme
- HM Treasury on a range of issues by providing additional legal resource to the Treasury Legal Advisers and the second UK Sovereign Sukuk issuance
- London & Quadrant Housing, a registered social landlord with charitable status, on the acquisition of Gallagher Estates for an enterprise value of £505 million