Ashley Prebble is head of the firm's Financial Institutions Group in London and co-head of the firm's Global Insurance Sector Group. He specialises in corporate and regulatory insurance, including start-ups, IPOs, mergers and acquisitions, reorganisations, distribution agreements and all compliance and regulatory matters.
His clients include insurers, reinsurers and intermediaries in both the Lloyd's and London market.
- Cinven on a major investment in True Potential, with the company's founders, management, and private equity firm FTV Capital selling an undisclosed, majority stake in the business to Cinven
- Admiral Group plc on an agreement with Zoopla to purchase the Penguin Portals Group, the price comparison portal division, including Confused.com, for £508m
- LV= on its £1bn joint venture with Allianz, creating a general insurance business with over six million customers. Clifford Chance and Ashley won the Legal Business Insurance Deal of the Year 2018 for this project
- The Inigo Group on the acquisition of Starstone Underwriting Limited from Enstar and Stonepoint
- SCOR Investment Partners on its acquisition of Coriolis Capital Limited, a pioneering fund manager in the Insurance-Linked Securities (ILS) field, investing in catastrophe bonds, collateralized reinsurance and climate derivatives
- AXA Group on its acquisition of BREU, a Polish insurance company, from mBank and enter into 10-year distribution agreements for life and non-life insurance products in Poland through the mBank network on an exclusive basis
- AXA Group on their agreement to acquire CIL, an Egyptian life insurance company and enter into a 10‑year distribution agreement for life products in Egypt through the CI Bank on an exclusive basis
- Police Mutual Assurance Society Limited on the transfer of all its engagements to the Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Limited under the Friendly Societies Act 1992. The transfer was implemented pursuant to a statutory process and was the first of its kind in the last decade
- Riverstone Insurance on its agreement with AXA on the transfer of AXA’s historical employers’ and public liability and disease claims related policies to Riverstone by way of portfolio transfer and reinsurance
- Fairfax Financial Holdings on their agreements to acquire the insurance business of QBE in Ukraine, Czech Republic , Slovakia and Hungary
- LV= on their agreement to acquire the business of Teachers Provident Society by way of a transfer of engagement
The Inigo Group on its launch and $800m investment from, among others, CDPQ, Qatar Investment Authority, JC Flowers and OakHill Advisors and securing the approval of Lloyd’s to the underwriting platform
Restructurings & Reorganisations
- The Domestic & General Group on their Brexit mitigation strategy and reorganisation involving the establishment of new European insurance company by way of a Part VII transfer
- Admiral Group plc on its Brexit-related reorganisation involving the transfer of its insurance business from Italy, France, Spain and Gibraltar to new Spanish and French subsidiaries, by way of two cross-border mergers, two insurance portfolio transfers and three asset transfers
- Chubb, on its Brexit-related reorganisation involving the transfer of its insurance subsidiaries from the UK to France (converting both companies to Societas Europaea) and effecting a redomicile to France
- AXA SA on the global restructuring and consolidation of its Lifestyle Protection Insurance business, involving the creation of a new global distribution model and the integration and transfer of two newly acquired UK insurance companies into AXA France by way of portfolio transfer and cross border merger
- Chubb Group on the integration of its key operating companies in Europe by way of portfolio transfers in UK and Ireland and a cross border merger, impacting around 45million policyholders
News and client work
- Safeguarding the Use of AI in the Insurance Sector, The Journal of Robotics, Artificial Intelligence and Law, September 2021
Career and qualifications
- University of Exeter (LLB, Law) 1993
- Qualified, Dechert 1996
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1997
- Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright 2006
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2013
Awards and citations
- Ashley is noted as a Ranked Individual by the Chambers UK 2021 - Insurance Non-Contentious directory with clients commenting “he understands the insurance business inside out."
- The "fantastic" Ashley Prebble's non-contentious practice encompasses cross-border M&A transactions, complex regulatory matters and Part VII transfers. He is routinely instructed by an impressive array of domestic and international insurance companies. One client praises him as "a superb adviser" and adds: "I know when I deal with Ashley that he will grasp any situation very quickly and provide measured advice."
Chambers 2020, Ranked Partner
- 'Ashley Prebble is an excellent point of contact and leads the team very effectively. He is always available, often at short notice, to offer help and solutions to problems that may have arisen. He is also very approachable and personable. He is a trusted adviser who has developed a good relationship with our team over a number of years.'
Legal 500 UK
- "Very commercial and a very good operator. If you have a deal on, he's your man."
- "Legal Business Awards 2018, Insurance Team of the Year" and "Reactions London Market Awards 2018, Legal Firm of the Year and Deal of the Year"
- "He has an excellent knowledge of insurance and regulation coupled with an unerring commercial judgement."
- Ashley is listed as a leading individual in the corporate and regulatory insurance market in Legal 500 2013