Ashley Prebble is head of the firm's Financial Institutions Group in London. He specialises in corporate and regulatory insurance, including IPOs, mergers and acquisitions, Part VII transfers, distribution agreements and regulatory matters.
His clients include insurers, reinsurers and intermediaries in both the Lloyd's and London market.
- Admiral Group plc on its Brexit-related reorganisation involving the transfer of its insurance business from Italy, France, Spain and Gibraltar to new Spanish and French subsidiaries, by way of two cross-border mergers, two insurance portfolio transfers and three asset transfers
- Chubb, on its Brexit-related reorganisation involving the transfer of its insurance subsidiaries from the UK to France (converting both companies to Societas Europaea) and effecting a redomicile to France
- Admiral Group plc on its joint venture with Oakley Capital and Mapfre S.A. to combine Rastreator Comparador Correduría de Seguros S.L. with Asesor Seguros Online S.L. and Asesor Consumer Services S.L. two of Spain’s largest digital brokers for insurance and other financial products
- AXA SA on the global restructuring and consolidation of its Lifestyle Protection Insurance business, involving the creation of a new global distribution model and the integration and transfer of two newly acquired UK insurance companies into AXA France by way of portfolio transfer and cross border merger
- LV= on its £1bn joint venture with Allianz, creating a general insurance business with over six million customers. Clifford Chance and Ashley won the Legal Business Insurance Deal of the Year 2018 for this project.
- SCOR Investment Partners on its acquisition of Coriolis Capital Limited, a pioneering fund manager in the Insurance-Linked Securities (ILS) field, investing in catastrophe bonds, collateralized reinsurance and climate derivatives
- Chubb Group on the integration of its key operating companies in Europe by way of portfolio transfers in UK and Ireland and a cross border merger, impacting around 45million policyholders
- AXA Group on its acquisition of BREU, a Polish insurance company, from mBank and enter into 10-year distribution agreements for life and non-life insurance products in Poland through the mBank network on an exclusive basis
- AXA Group on their agreement to acquire CIL, an Egyptian life insurance company and enter into a 10 year distribution agreement for life products in Egypt through the CI Bank on an exclusive basis
- Riverstone Insurance on its agreement with AXA on the transfer of AXA’s historical employers’ and public liability and disease claims related policies to Riverstone by way of portfolio transfer and reinsurance
- Fairfax Financial Holdings on their agreements to acquire the insurance business of QBE in Ukraine, Czech Republic , Slovakia and Hungary
- LV= on their agreement to acquire the business of Teachers Provident Society by way of a transfer of engagement
Clifford Chance advises LV= on Allianz joint venture to create third largest personal insurer in the UK market
7 August 2017
Clifford Chance advises LV= on its transaction with Teachers Assurance
7 January 2015
- Legacy sector set for growth as capital pressures on insurers intensify
29 July 2019
- Should UK regulators take more regard for competitiveness?
24 January 2019
- The insurance industry is facing some challenging legal issues in the year ahead
10 January 2019
- Onshoring the Part VII insurance transfer regime
7 February 2019
EIOPA recommendations offer some clarity for the Insurance sector in case of a Hard Brexit
21 February 2019
HMT publishes Solvency II SI Guidance
11 October 2018
Onshoring EU financial services legislation under the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018
6 July 2018
Near Final Rules: Extension of the senior managers and certification regimes to the insurance sector
5 July 2018
Update: The PRA's regulatory approach to insurer's preparations for Brexit
5 April 2018
Career and qualifications
- University of Exeter (LLB, Law) 1993
- Qualified, Dechert 1996
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1997
- Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright 2006
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2013
Awards and citations
- The "fantastic" Ashley Prebble's non-contentious practice encompasses cross-border M&A transactions, complex regulatory matters and Part VII transfers. He is routinely instructed by an impressive array of domestic and international insurance companies. One client praises him as "a superb adviser" and adds: "I know when I deal with Ashley that he will grasp any situation very quickly and provide measured advice."
Chambers 2020, Ranked Partner
- 'Ashley Prebble is an excellent point of contact and leads the team very effectively. He is always available, often at short notice, to offer help and solutions to problems that may have arisen. He is also very approachable and personable. He is a trusted adviser who has developed a good relationship with our team over a number of years.'
Legal 500 UK
- "Very commercial and a very good operator. If you have a deal on, he's your man."
- "Legal Business Awards 2018, Insurance Team of the Year" and "Reactions London Market Awards 2018, Legal Firm of the Year and Deal of the Year"
- "He has an excellent knowledge of insurance and regulation coupled with an unerring commercial judgement."
- Ashley is listed as a leading individual in the corporate and regulatory insurance market in Legal 500 2013