Ashley Prebble is head of the firm's Financial Institutions Group in London. He specialises in corporate and regulatory insurance, including IPOs, mergers and acquisitions, Part VII transfers, distribution agreements and regulatory matters.
His clients include insurers, reinsurers and intermediaries in both the Lloyd's and London market.
- Chubb Group on the integration of its key operating companies in Europe by way of portfolio transfers in UK and Ireland and a cross border merger, impacting around 45 million policyholders
- Riverstone Insurance on its agreement with AXA on the transfer of AXA’s historical employers’ and public liability and disease claims related policies to Riverstone by way of portfolio transfer and reinsurance
- AXA Group on their agreement to acquire CIL, an Egyptian life insurance company and enter into a 10-year distribution agreement for life products in Egypt through the CI Bank on an exclusive basis
- AXA Group on their agreement to acquire BREU, a Polish insurance company, from mBank and enter into 10-year distribution agreements for the distribution of life and non-life insurance products in Poland through the mBank network on an exclusive basis
- Direct Line Group on the transfer of the insurance business of Churchill, Direct Line and NIG into UK Insurance by way of a Part VII portfolio transfer affecting 22 million policy holders and on their 5 year distribution arrangements with Sainsbury’s Bank for both private motor and home insurance products*
- Brit Insurance Holdings B.V on the sale of Brit Insurance Limited to Riverstone Holdings for around USD$300 million*
- ACE on the transfer of its Combined Insurance business by way of portfolio transfers in the UK, Germany, Ireland, Jersey and Guernsey*
Clifford Chance advises LV= on Allianz joint venture to create third largest personal insurer in the UK market
7 August 2017
Clifford Chance advises LV= on its transaction with Teachers Assurance
7 January 2015
- Big data—are the regulators coming?
21 December 2015
Global M&A Toolkit
EIOPA recommendations offer some clarity for the Insurance sector in case of a Hard Brexit
21 February 2019
HMT publishes Solvency II SI Guidance
11 October 2018
Onshoring EU financial services legislation under the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018
6 July 2018
Near Final Rules: Extension of the senior managers and certification regimes to the insurance sector
5 July 2018
Update: The PRA's regulatory approach to insurer's preparations for Brexit
5 April 2018
Career and qualifications
- University of Exeter (LLB, Law) 1993
- Qualified, Dechert 1996
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1997
- Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright 2006
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2013
Awards and citations
- "Very commercial and a very good operator. If you have a deal on, he's your man."
- "Legal Business Awards 2018, Insurance Team of the Year" and "Reactions London Market Awards 2018, Legal Firm of the Year and Deal of the Year"
- "He has an excellent knowledge of insurance and regulation coupled with an unerring commercial judgement."
- Ashley is listed as a leading individual in the corporate and regulatory insurance market in Legal 500 2013