John specialises in cross-border and complex restructuring and insolvency. He advises funds, banks, companies, sponsors and insolvency practitioners.
John's recent experience has featured the use of schemes of arrangement to implement restructurings and refinancings. John's experience includes advising on some of the most significant restructurings in the market. Recent work has included mandates relating to Seadrill, Novo Banco, Frigoglass and Prosafe.
- The Royal Bank Scotland plc on the restructuring of the Punch Taverns securitisations
- Lenders to Icopal on its "amend to extend" scheme of arrangement (Danish, US and French companies)
- Mercator, a Slovenian listed and leading Balkan super market chain, on its EUR€1 billion plus financial restructuring
- Montagu Private Equity and Global Infrastructure Partners on their exit from and restructuring of the Biffa Group
- Case study: the out-of-court restructuring of a Latvian bank, Law In Transition, Spring 2000, John MacLennan with Adrian Cohen
- The all-American dream: developing effective resolution arrangements for investment banks in the UK (2009) 8 JBIFL 466, John MacLennan with Philip Hertz, Gabrielle Ruiz and Steven Gatti
- Ultimate turnaround: debt to equity swaps (2009) 3 CRI 91, John MacLennan with Adrian Cohen
- Wish you were here? English court becomes the restructuring destination for foreign companies (2011) 7 JIBFL 405, John MacLennan with Philip Hertz and Tim Bennett
- Winding up Chapter, Private Equity Exits, Global Law and Business 2011, John MacLennan with Philip Hertz and Gabrielle Ruiz
- The High Yield Restructuring Landscape – A European Perspective
Restructuring Solutions in Europe - Promoting and Embracing Change
5 April 2019
Infrastructure: 21st Century Challenges - A legal perspective
29 October 2018
UK corporate insolvency reforms: looking beyond Brexit
8 October 2018
Changes to European cross border restructuring and insolvencies - something for everyone?
26 June 2017
European Proposal for the harmonisation of restructuring law
29 November 2016
Career and qualifications
- Newcastle University (Hons, LLB) 1994
- Called to Bar 1995
- Barrister 1996 - 1997
- Joined Clifford Chance 1998
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1999
- Partner since 2010
- R3 (UK restructuring and insolvency professional body)
- Insolvency Lawyers' Association
- INSOL (global restructuring and insolvency professional body)
Awards and citations
- Clients praise John MacLennan as "a seriously bright lawyer who is very experienced across a range of debtor and creditor representations."
Chambers UK 2018 – Restructuring and Insolvency
- John MacLennan is commended by sources, who describe him as having "incredible judgement" and being "unafraid to challenge and debate points with the client and propose alternative solutions."
Chambers UK 2017 – Restructuring and Insolvency