John MacLennan specialises in cross-border and complex restructuring and insolvency. He advises funds, banks, investment managers, public/governmental bodies, companies, sponsors and insolvency officeholders.
John's experience covers a wide range of debt and other products as well as sectors and jurisdictions.
- The senior lenders to The Learning Network on its restructuring including its sale via Dutch pledge enforcement
- The lead creditor on the c.$800m restructuring of JBF RAK, a multinational plastics manufacturer via a UAE on-shore restructuring plan
- gategroup on its Part 26A Restructuring Plan using an innovative deed poll structure
- The secured senior lenders on the emergency financing to and subsequent sale of the Azzurri Restaurant Group (ASK/Zizzi) by way of pre-pack administration to TowerBrook
- The term lenders to Celsa UK on the provision of emergency funding including a loan from HM Government, the first under Project Birch
- AerCap on the restructuring of Virgin Atlantic Airways using the then new Part 26A Restructuring Plan
- The syndicated of lenders under Hertz's European ABS financing in connection with the Hertz US group chapter 11 filing and the restructuring of the Hertz International Group
- AerCap on the debt for equity restructuring of Norwegian Air Shuttle
- The senior lenders to Eddie Stobart on its combined debt restructuring and sale of a majority interest to DBay
- HSBC, ICBC and the joint administrators of House of Fraser on the restructuring of its bank and HY debt and its subsequent pre-pack sale and administration
View all news and client work featuring John MacLennan
- Case study: the out-of-court restructuring of a Latvian bank, Law In Transition, Spring 2000, John MacLennan with Adrian Cohen
- The all-American dream: developing effective resolution arrangements for investment banks in the UK (2009) 8 JBIFL 466, John MacLennan with Philip Hertz, Gabrielle Ruiz and Steven Gatti
- Ultimate turnaround: debt to equity swaps (2009) 3 CRI 91, John MacLennan with Adrian Cohen
- Wish you were here? English court becomes the restructuring destination for foreign companies (2011) 7 JIBFL 405, John MacLennan with Philip Hertz and Tim Bennett
- Winding up Chapter, Private Equity Exits, Global Law and Business 2011, John MacLennan with Philip Hertz and Gabrielle Ruiz
View more briefings featuring John MacLennan
View more blog posts featuring John MacLennan
View more podcasts featuring John MacLennan
Career and qualifications
Newcastle University (Hons, LLB) 1994
- Called to Bar 1995
- Barrister 1996 - 1997
- Joined Clifford Chance 1998
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1999
- Partner since 2010
R3 (UK restructuring and insolvency professional body)
- Insolvency Lawyers' Association
- INSOL (global restructuring and insolvency professional body)
Awards and citations
- John MacLennan is outstanding.
Legal 500 2023 Corporate Restructuring & Insolvency
- John is a pleasure to deal with.
Chambers UK 2023: Restructuring/Insolvency
- Clients praise John MacLennan as "a seriously bright lawyer who is very experienced across a range of debtor and creditor representations."
Chambers UK 2018 – Restructuring and Insolvency
- John MacLennan is commended by sources, who describe him as having "incredible judgement" and being "unafraid to challenge and debate points with the client and propose alternative solutions."
Chambers UK 2017 – Restructuring and Insolvency