John Wilkins is a Partner in the Energy & Infrastructure Group in London with a focus on the Oil & Gas and Power sectors. John is head of the East African section of the Clifford Chance Africa Group.
John has extensive projects development experience in the energy sector with a focus on oil, gas and power. He has acted on high profile, complex world-scale projects in Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia.
Clifford Chance advises Shell on pioneering post-LIBOR, sustainability-linked USD 10bn revolving credit facility
17 December 2019
Clifford Chance advises EDF on proposals for China's CGN to invest GBP 6bn in the Hinkley Point C nuclear power project
26 October 2015
Clifford Chance advises Shell on the sale of its Retail, Supply & Distribution, Logistics and Aviation businesses in Italy to Kuwait Petroleum International
20 February 2014
Clifford Chance LLP advises Japan Bank for International Cooperation on first financing of an independent power and water project under Kuwait's new PPP Laws
16 December 2013
Clifford Chance conseille Shell dans l'acquisition de la majeure partie de l'activité de gaz naturel liquéfié de Repsol
28 February 2013
Clifford Chance advises Shell on US$4.4 billion acquisition of part of Repsol´s LNG portfolio
27 February 2013
Clifford Chance advises Shell on $1.3bn refinery sale
29 March 2011
Career and qualifications
- Joined Clifford Chance 1998
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2000
- Partner since 2007
Awards and citations
- Named as a star partner in the Lawyer's Transatlantic Energy Elite.
- "Commentators note his capacity to build very good human relationships be it with a client or the party on the opposite side of the table, he is very smart to deal with and has a very effective style"
Project, Chambers UK 2012
- Sources describe John Wilkins as someone who excels in negotiations: "He can balance the soft with the hard; he pushes points without creating tension."
Projects, Chambers UK 2011
- Partner John Wilkins comes in for praise from one sponsor-side client for his knowledge of the specifics of the client's deal and for his experience. "John has a very good balance between accuracy of advice and diplomacy and pushes his points very efficiently," says the client.
Projects, IFLR 2011