John Wilkins has a particular focus on the Power and Oil & Gas sectors and is the joint head of the Global Nuclear Group
John has extensive projects development & M&A experience in the energy sector with a focus on power and oil & gas. He has acted on high profile, complex world-scale projects in Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia and has a particular focus on nuclear power and the shift into new energies by the oil & gas majors.
- Sizewell GenCo on the development and financing of the Sizewell C New Nuclear Project in the UK
- Endeavour, GE and Sage on the development and project financing of the up to 400MW duel fuel fired Bridge Power Project in Ghana (African Power deal of the Year, IJ Global 2019 and PFI Awards 2019)
- Shell on the US$3.8 billion disposal of UK North Sea assets to Chrysaor Holdings (including interests in Buzzard, Beryl, Bressary, Elgin-Franklin, J-Block, the Greater Armada Cluster, Everest, Lomond and Erskine, plus a 10% stake Schiehallion) (European Upstream Oil and Gas Deal of the Year, IJ Global)
- EDF S.A. on the £18 billion development of the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point, Somerset (Hinkley Point C) including the joint venture arrangements with CGN and the financing thereof by the Infrastructure Projects Authority (formerly IUK)
- JBIC on the project financing of the 1,500MW AZ-Zour North Phase I independent water and power project in Kuwait, the first project under the new PPP law in Kuwait (International Power Deal of the Year in the Middle East, PFI Magazine)
- EDPR on the project financing of a 138MW wind farm at Cernavoda, Romania and a 90MW wind farm at Pestera, Romania (EMEA Finance’s Best Sustainability Deal 2012)
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Joined Clifford Chance 1998
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2000
- Partner since 2007
Awards and citations
- "He has a very precise mind and that precision is very useful in difficult situations."
Chambers UK 2022, Energy & Natural Resources
- "He takes a big-picture view and is pragmatic, strategic and commercial."
Chambers UK 2022, Projects