John Wilkins has a particular focus on the Power and Oil & Gas sectors and is the joint head of the Global Nuclear Group
John has extensive projects development & M&A experience in the energy sector with a focus on power and oil & gas. He has acted on high profile, complex world-scale projects in Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia and has a particular focus on nuclear power and the shift into new energies by the oil & gas majors.
- Endeavour, GE and Sage on the development and project financing of the up to 400MW duel fuel fired Bridge Power Project in Ghana (African Power deal of the Year, IJ Global 2019 and PFI Awards 2019)
- Shell on the US$3.8 billion disposal of UK North Sea assets to Chrysaor Holdings (including interests in Buzzard, Beryl, Bressary, Elgin-Franklin, J-Block, the Greater Armada Cluster, Everest, Lomond and Erskine, plus a 10% stake Schiehallion) (European Upstream Oil and Gas Deal of the Year, IJ Global)
- EDF S.A. on the £18 billion development of the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point, Somerset (Hinkley Point C) including the joint venture arrangements with CGN and the financing thereof by the Infrastructure Projects Authority (formerly IUK)
- JBIC on the project financing of the 1,500MW AZ-Zour North Phase I independent water and power project in Kuwait, the first project under the new PPP law in Kuwait (International Power Deal of the Year in the Middle East, PFI Magazine)
- EDPR on the project financing of a 138MW wind farm at Cernavoda, Romania and a 90MW wind farm at Pestera, Romania (EMEA Finance’s Best Sustainability Deal 2012)
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Joined Clifford Chance 1998
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2000
- Partner since 2007
Awards and citations
- Global Leader
Who’s Who Legal: Energy 2020
- John Wilkins acts for clients on energy and power projects, with recent experience including advising on nuclear and LPG matters. In the words of one client, "I really like working with John - not only is he a good lawyer but he has that commercial element too, which helps you figure out the details of deals."
Chambers UK 2019: Projects
- John Wilkins is thought of by clients as “a tremendous lawyer and a great technical specialist” in addition to being “truly dedicated and knowledgeable with a depth of experience across the energy space”. He has particular expertise in nuclear energy projects, alongside traditional oil and gas power generation facilities.
Chambers UK 2018: Projects
- John Wilkins has a wealth of experience in energy related project development and M&A, both domestically and internationally. “He knows the law and the specific topics but he is also good at advising clients commercially” says a source.
Chambers UK 2016: Projects
- According to one client, Clifford Chance is “the only firm with expertise across the multiple legal issues and contracts applicable to the oil & gas sector” with co-head John Wilkins… singled out as “not just financing, M&A or commercial contracts specialists, but experts across the range of energy issues”
Legal 500 2014: Oil and Gas – Projects, Energy and Natural Resources
- Named as a star partner in the Lawyer’s Transatlantic Energy Elite