Kate Vyvyan advises on a broad range of debt capital markets products in the UK, Europe and internationally, including standalone bonds, EMTN issuance, green and sustainability-linked bonds, regulatory capital and hybrid instruments, private placements and commercial paper. Kate’s clients include both issuers and underwriters. Notably, Kate advises many sovereigns, supranationals and international corporates, and also all the key investment banks active in the debt capital markets. Kate advises on liability management transactions, including tender offers, exchange offers, consent solicitations and restructurings.
Kate is an active supporter of diversity issues and a leader of Clifford Chance’s gender parity network, Accelerate. Accelerate is committed to taking bold actions to accelerate the pace of change towards gender parity and drive forward an inclusive and diverse culture.
- UK Debt Management Office on all of the UK government’s conventional and index-linked gilts, including the first UK green gilt
- Bank of England in connection with its USD2 billion Debt issuance Programme and Rule 144A/Reg S bond issues
- Her Majesty’s Treasury in connection with its debut issue of Renminbi bonds
- Export Finance Australia on the establishment of its GMTN Programme and 144A/Reg S issues thereunder
- the dealers on the Nordic Investment Bank GMTN 144A/Reg S programme establishment
- on many green bonds and sustainability-linked bond issues, including debut sustainability-linked bonds issued by Vestas, Danfoss and Metso
- Vanquis Banking Group on its EMTN programme, issues thereunder including Tier 2 issue, and liability management
- Wells Fargo on its European debt issuance programmes and IBOR remediation exercises
- Essity, representing the dealers on the EMTN Programme, issuances and consent solicitation
- the dealers on Diageo’s EMTN Programme
- the dealers on the establishment of the Reckitt Benckiser EMTN programme and inaugural issues thereunder
- easyJet on its EMTN Programme and financing during the Covid-19 pandemic
- the dealers on the Unilever EMTN programme and issues and liability management transactions thereunder
- the dealers on the AA plc debt issuance programme and tender and exchange offers
- the dealers on the Cadent Gas bond issues, including its transition bond, the first UK transition bond, and liability management exercises
- on bond issues for sovereigns including Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, North Macedonia, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Seychelles, Slovenia, Sweden and Turkey
- on LMEs including tender offers, exchange offers and consent solicitations for corporates, financial institutions and sovereigns
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Oxford, Trinity College (BA Jurisprudence) 2000
- Joined Clifford Chance 2002
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2004
- Partner since 2019
- Kate is a member of the ICMA Social Bond Working Group, the ICMA SLB working group and ICMA Green Bond Advisory Group.
Awards and citations
- "Kate's high technical capability, combined with her professionalism, makes her a pleasure to work with." "Kate has unparalleled diligence and ability to work within very short timeframes."
Chambers and Partners 2024
- "High quality knowledge and experience with some notable stars such as Kate Vyvyan" Legal 500 2024
- Leading Individual – Legal 500 2024