Jessica Gladstone focuses on complex litigation, international commercial and investment arbitration, and public international law.
She acts in commercial and international disputes across a variety of jurisdictions and industries, advises on all areas of commercial and public international law, and has experience negotiating multilateral treaties and representing the UK at the United Nations and in other international institutions.
Jessica is a member of our global Trade and Investment Risk team.
- Litigation on behalf of telecoms investors challenging the expropriation of shares and the amendment of the state constitution to remove their right to property and right to judicial review; including the discharge of an anti-arbitration injunction brought by the host state to avoid arbitration under a BIT
- Representing an Asian Government in an inter-state arbitration under the auspices of the PCA, concerning territory, construction and taxation
- Representing a Ukrainian company in an LCIA arbitration concerning a dispute arising out of a shareholders’ agreement
- Appeared before the Privy Council for a government in a politically sensitive public law challenge
New report estimates Brexit ‘red tape’ will cost EU27 and UK exporters €69bn a year
12 March 2018
- Does the rise of populism signal European disintegration?
13 August 2019
Climate change litigation - Dutch Supreme Court confirms state obligation to reduce greenhouse gasses by the end of 2020
24 December 2019
Brexit: next steps
29 November 2019
The WTO Appellate Body crisis – A way forward?
19 November 2019
Climate change disputes: A summary of developments and drivers
31 October 2019
Public procurement, Brexit and Boris Johnson's 'buy British' pledge
3 October 2019
Career and qualifications
- University of Oxford (BA Jurisprudence) 1999
- University of Cambridge (LLM) 2000
- Linklaters 2002 – 2007
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office 2007 - 2010
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP 2010 – 2015
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2015
- Lecturer in International Commercial Arbitration for LLM at Kings College London, since 2012
- Member of Editorial Board of International Energy Law Review by invitation, since 2014
- Co-founding director and trustee of Advocates for International Development (A4ID) since 2005; and Chair of the Board of Rule Of Law Expertise UK (ROLE UK) since 2015
Awards and citations
- Ranked in major legal directories for public international law, international arbitration and commercial litigation
- “Jessica Gladstone is highlighted by commentators for her expertise in economic sanctions. Her broader PIL practice, covering BITs and inter-state disputes, is complemented by her Foreign Office advisory background.”
Chambers UK 2015 - Public International Law
- “one of the most capable young solicitors in London.”
Chambers UK 2014 - Public International Law
- Listed as a "Rising Star"
Super Lawyers 2014 - Business Edition and Super Lawyers
- “Highly rated” for international arbitration
Legal 500 UK 2013 - International Arbitration