Jessica Gladstone is a partner and solicitor-advocate specialising in international arbitration, commercial and public law litigation and public international law. Widely recognised as "one of the brightest talents of her generation" (Chambers UK), she advises on international trade and investment, immunities, economic sanctions and human rights.
Jessica has represented multinational corporations, financial institutions, international organisations, states and individuals before arbitral tribunals and domestic and international courts, including the Privy Council and the European Court of Human Rights. An accomplished advocate, she has acted in some of the most complex international and commercial disputes, and she is a trusted adviser on risk and reputation management, including political risk, business and human rights and wider ESG issues.
A former legal adviser for the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Jessica has experience negotiating treaties, and representing the UK at the United Nations, the Council of Europe and in other international institutions.
Beyond her practice as counsel, she also sits as arbitrator.
Jessica is a member of the Board of Save the Children UK and a co-founder and trustee of Advocates for International Development.
- Representing a sovereign wealth fund in a multi-billion arbitration against a state, concerning allegations of fraud.
- Representing a fund in a series of arbitrations and related litigation arising out of an investment in India.
- Representing an oil major in an investment treaty claim against an African state.
- Advising a state on the compatibility with WTO rules of proposed legislation and policies.
- Advising a state on issues of territorial sovereignty and governance.
- Representing investors in contractual, constitutional and investment treaty claims against a foreign government.
- Appearing before the Privy Council for a government in a politically sensitive public law challenge.
- Representing an Asian state in an inter-state arbitration under the auspices of the Permanent Court of Arbitration.
- Advising a multinational on the drafting of host-government agreements and inter-governmental treaties for a major international project.
- Representing a business in relation to a complaint to the UK National Contact Point under the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises.
News and client work
- “The Legal Adviser and International Disputes: Preparing for litigation or arbitration” – in “The Role of the Legal Adviser in International Law”, 2016 (Brill/BIICL)
- “The Contribution of International Organisations to Investment Arbitration: Responding in times of crisis?” MJIEL, Vol 13, 2016
- “Brexit: Britain’s Biggest Deal”, BBC documentary, March 2017
- Clifford Chance/Oliver Wyman “The Red Tape Cost Of Brexit”, 2018
- Clifford Chance/CBI “The Future of Trade for the UK: A Guide for Businesses”, 2017
- Free Trade Agreements: Compliance with Rules of Origin and Utilisation of Preferential Tariffs  Int. T.L.R., Issue 4
- KCL/Columbia “Praelium” - selected as one of the two leading international advocates to argue a BIT case in a “Celebration of Advocacy”, 2017
- Appeared before the House of Commons Committee for Exiting the EU to give evidence on the impacts of Brexit on trade, 2018
- Does the rise of populism signal European disintegration?
13 August 2019
Career and qualifications
- University of Oxford (BA Jurisprudence) 1999
- University of Cambridge (LLM) 2000
- Linklaters 2002 – 2007
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office 2007 - 2010
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP 2010 – 2015
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2015
- Qualified in England and Wales 2004, and Ireland 2019
- Visiting lecturer in International Commercial and Investment Arbitration for LLM at Kings College London, since 2012
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb).
- Member of World Economic Forum Global Futures Council on Trade and Investment
- Services, from 2018
- Member of BIICL Public International Law Advisory Panel, from 2016
- Member of DIT Trade Advisory Group for Professional Advisory Services, 2020
- Editorial Board of International Energy Law Review, since 2014
- Member of the CIArb/Law Commission Expert Advisory Group on Reform of the Arbitration Act, 2016
- Teaching Fellow in Public International Law for masters’ students at SOAS, 2009 - 2011
- Co-founding director and trustee of Advocates for International Development (A4ID) since 2005
- Chair of the Board of Rule Of Law Expertise UK (ROLE UK), 2015-2019
- Chair of the Board of Save the Children UK, since 2020
Awards and citations
- “London-based Jessica Gladstone advises on a broad range of PIL and investment arbitration issues. She adeptly represents sovereign entities, and garners market recognition for her knowledge of sanctions and human rights issues. An interviewee enthuses: "She is very incisive, a clever person. She's very good.”
Public International Law: Chambers Global-wide 2020
- “Jessica Gladstone advises on a broad range of PIL issues including business and human rights, sanctions and treaty obligations. She also plays a key role in advising on trade law issues related to Brexit. Sources regard her as ‘extremely impressive’ and ‘one of the brightest talents of her generation’.”
Public International Law: Chambers UK 2019
- “Jessica Gladstone is ‘highly qualified’ to advise clients on a broad range of public international law issues, including multilateral treaties.”
Public International Law: Chambers UK 2018
- “Jessica Gladstone is on the Brexit front line, advising clients on the complex issues that have arisen since the vote... Her experience negotiating multilateral treaties and representing the UK at the UN makes her one of the lawyers best suited to tackling the immense challenges posed by the UK’s exit from the EU.”
The Lawyer’s Hot 100 2018
- “...a brilliant and responsive lawyer with practical, commercial approaches to the issues at the top of my mind...”
Public International Law: Chambers UK 2017
- Ranked in major legal directories for public international law, international arbitration and commercial litigation
- “Jessica Gladstone is highlighted by commentators for her expertise in economic sanctions. Her broader PIL practice, covering BITs and inter-state disputes, is complemented by her Foreign Office advisory background.”
Chambers UK 2015 - Public International Law
- “one of the most capable young solicitors in London.”
Chambers UK 2014 - Public International Law
- Listed as a "Rising Star"
Super Lawyers 2014 - Business Edition and Super Lawyers
- “Highly rated” for international arbitration
Legal 500 UK 2013 - International Arbitration