Nigel Howorth specialises in planning, environment, energy and public law.
Nigel's expertise includes property development, energy and renewables projects including environmental and health & safety issues in respect of corporate mergers and acquisitions, as well as advising on environmental and climate change regulation, environmental disputes and litigation. Nigel is a Partner and head of the London Environment and Planning Group. He also leads the firm's Global Environment Group, Environment & Climatic Trading Group and Climate Change Group.
Nigel is a member of our global Climate Change Risk team.
- Canary Wharf Group on the development of Wood Wharf, an 8 hectare extension to the Canary Wharf estate in East London
- Horizon Nuclear Power on the development of a new nuclear power station at Wylfa, Wales
- Aviva Investors on a series of acquisitions of portfolios of rooftop solar Photovoltaic (PV) systems
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University College London (LLB) 1991
- Joined Clifford Chance 1994
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1996
- Partner since 2003
- Head of the London Environment and Planning Group
- Head of Global Environment Group
- Head of Climate Change Group
- Member of the Law Society of England and Wales
- Member of Chatham House
- Member of the City of London Law Society
- Member of the UK Emissions Trading Group
- Member of UK Environmental Law Association
Awards and citations
- "Nigel Howorth combines both planning law and environmental expertise to advise on large corporate matters and energy projects. He also advises on pollution claims and environmental regulation."
Chambers UK 2017
- Sources say: "He [Nigel Howorth] has a really first-rate mind and is diligent and client-focused. He is always very calm, collected and results-focused." Clients recommend him as an "excellent co-ordinator for large international projects."
Chambers & Partners, UK, 2017
- Nigel Howorth’s team at Clifford Chance provides "focused advice in a manner that is capable of being digested by a wide range of audience and skill set."
Legal 500 2016
- Nigel Howorth is both "an expert in his field and easy to work with from a client perspective," according to one source. He has a hugely esteemed transactional and regulatory environmental practice. Sources enthuse: "He is very knowledgeable and down to earth. He is particularly strong in energy and nuclear matters and relishes the fight of a transaction."
Chambers UK 2016
- Nigel Howorth is the widely respected leader of the firm's environment team, and is particularly noted for his work on corporate transactions and energy projects. He has taken a lead on the environment group's work for Horizon Nuclear Power on its nuclear new build programme. Sources say: "He has got real presence and real gravitas."
Chambers UK 2014
- Nigel Howorth is admired for his work on emissions trading, climate change risk and renewables matters, as well as regulatory advice on global climate change concerns. He is a trusted adviser to Pfizer.
Chambers UK 2013
- Head of the group Nigel Howorth has been involved in a variety of significant projects recently. He is particularly experienced in large-scale regeneration projects and has been the key lawyer on the London Gateway Port project, Horizon matters and continuing developments for the Canary Wharf Estate.
Chambers UK 2013
- Nigel Howorth is "sensible and considered".
Legal 500 UK 2013
- Nigel Howorth is regarded as an "experienced and knowledgeable" lawyer who "offers solutions that are client-focused, not just legally based." He is strong in the corporate and energy arenas and frequently advises on emissions trading, landfill regulations, and contaminated land and waste regulation.
Chambers & Partners, UK, 2012
- Practice head Nigel Howorth is "a sharp, patient negotiator, and excellent at explaining environmental risk to clients".
Legal 500, UK, 2011
- Nigel Howorth "knows his subject matter and has the presence to influence at the highest levels," according to sources. He has continued to lead the team advising Intergen on an 860 MW extension to its CCGT plant in Spalding.
Chambers & Partners, UK, 2011
- Practice head Nigel Howorth "knows his subject matter and has the presence to influence at the highest levels".
Legal 500, UK, 2010
- "Nigel Howorth co-heads the climate change group and has a practice that includes advising on renewables and emissions trading issues."
Chambers & Partners, UK, 2010