Julian Acratopulo is the Head of the International Commercial Litigation Group.
Julian advises on a wide range of contentious matters including general corporate, commercial and financial litigation and global regulatory investigations.
Julian is a member of the firm’s Aerospace and Defence sector and has significant expertise in disputes in the aviation sector advising manufacturers, airlines, lessors and financiers on a range of contentious issues. He acts on a range of complex financial services disputes, including for several global banks, and has particular experience in high value “bet the company” cases in the High Court in London.
In 2018 Julian was elected as the President of the London Solicitors Litigation Association.
- Advising an aircraft manufacturer on an ongoing basis in relation to a number of disputes and commercial issues arising from the supply of aircraft to an airline. The disputes each involve the management of risk in the context of high value contracts and the application of complex contractual and commercial law principles in order to protect our client's position and further their business interests.
- Advising a US defence technology company in a high-profile dispute with a UK public body in relation to the cancellation of a multi-million pound contract.
- Advising the aircraft financing arm of a financial services company in a dispute with a company concerning the default on aircraft finance loans and recovery of funds across multiple jurisdictions.
- Advising a defence contractor in a dispute with a prominent London Authority in relation to the termination of a major service contract on the grounds of alleged non-performance by the service provider. The case involved a detailed assessment of the grounds of termination, the operation of the relevant contractual mechanisms, and Authority conduct.
- Advising various financial institutions and lessors on significant disputes in the aviation sector involving lenders, finance lessors and operating lessors, often arising in the context of troubled airlines and including, for example, cross-border enforcement and recovery issues.
- Advising a major European bank in relation to recovery claims commenced by a Bolivian customer.
- Advising a major Asian bank in relation to enforcement claims against Pakistani ISDA counterparties.
- Advising a major French bank in relation to enforcement and recovery claims under a Lehman's sponsored investment structure.
- Advising a major European bank (in its capacity as lender and security trustee) in relation to potential enforcement / restructuring of a Russian loan, under a Russian, Cypriot and BVI based security structure.
- Advising an Asian tyre manufacturer on a product recall on safety grounds. The matter required coordination across ten European jurisdictions, including the population of notifications to the competent authorities, recall notices and related documentation.
Top 8 Tech Disputes and Enforcement Risks for 2019
11 February 2019
The Disclosure Pilot Scheme: A Testing New Year?
30 November 2018
Privilege and ENRC: Two things we now know, and two we still don't
6 September 2018
Facebook, data misuse and why it matters
26 March 2018
PI Clubs Pay to be paid versus direct action
30 August 2017
Career and qualifications
- Bristol University (LLB) 1992
- Law Society Finals 1993
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1996
- Joined Clifford Chance 1996
- Partner since 2006
- President of the London Solicitors Litigation Association (LSLA)
Awards and citations
- Julian Acratopulo is 'very persistent and tough and he is very good indeed with clients'.
Legal 500 UK 2017 – Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Julian Acratopulo 'has a very commercial approach to litigation'.
Legal 500 UK 2017 – Commercial litigation
- Julian Acratopulo has the litigation know-how to advise multinational corporates on significant disputes. Interviewees laud him, saying: "He has very good commercial judgement. He picks away at a point and he'll think of a new way of thinking of a problem."
Chambers UK 2017 – Litigation: Elite