Gene Benger brings nearly 20 years of experience working in private practice and for regulatory agencies. His expertise includes advising financial institutions and insurance companies on state insurance regulatory matters and merger and acquisition transactions. Gene has also helped clients in matters concerning the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Gene served as General Counsel for Insurance at the New York State Department of Financial Services, as counsel at the New York State Insurance Department and as assistant attorney general at the New York State Office of the Attorney General.
Representative engagements include:
- Blackstone as the largest shareholder of FGL Holdings (NYSE: FG) in the sale of FG to Fidelity National Financial (NYSE: FNF) for $2.7 billion.
- Blackstone-managed entities in the $2.8 billion acquisition of Allstate Life Insurance Company from The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL).
- Constellation Insurance Holdings, Inc., backed by institutional investors Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board, in its acquisition of and $500 million capital contribution to, Ohio National Financial Services, Inc., as part of Ohio National’s demutualization process.
- Covéa, a leading French mutual insurer, in its acquisition of global reinsurer PartnerRe from EXOR, the Agnelli family-owned investment and holding company, for total cash consideration of $9.3 billion (€8.6bn).
- Fortitude Re in its acquisition of a $31 billion block of legacy variable annuities from Prudential Financial, Inc. (NYSE: PRU), including the sale of Prudential Annuities Life Assurance Corporation, for an all-cash purchase price of $1.5 billion.
- Global Atlantic Group in connection with an $8.0 billion annuity reinsurance transaction between two of its insurance subsidiaries and Ameriprise Financial insurance subsidiaries.
- Hamilton Insurance Group, Ltd. on the company’s acquisition of Pembroke Managing Agency Limited and Ironshore Europe DAC from Liberty Mutual Holding Company, Inc.
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company in its $3.5 billion acquisition of Great American Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of American Financial Group, Inc. (NYSE: AFG).
- MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET) in the $3.94 billion sale of its auto and home business, Metropolitan Property and Casualty Insurance Company and certain wholly owned subsidiaries, to Zurich Insurance Group subsidiary Farmers Group, Inc.
- New York Life Insurance Company, the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States, in its acquisition of Cigna Corporation’s (NYSE: CI) group life and disability insurance business for $6.3 billion.
- Prudential Financial, Inc. (NYSE: PRU) in the sale of its full-service retirement plan recordkeeping and administration business to Empower Retirement for a total transaction value of $3.55 billion.
- Sun Life Financial Inc. (TSX: SLF) (NYSE: SLF) in its $2.475 billion acquisition of DentaQuest, the largest provider of Medicaid dental benefits in the U.S. with growing Medicare Advantage, commercial and U.S. Affordable Care Act exchange businesses.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Brooklyn College, City University of New York, BA Political Science 1998
- St John's University School of Law, JD 2001
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in District of New Jersey 2001
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2002
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in Eastern District of New York 2003
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law Southern District of New York 2003
- Joined Clifford Chance 2022