Imogen Ainsworth specialises in transactional and advisory matters in the insurance, asset and wealth management and banking sectors.
She is experienced in advising both life and non-life insurers, banks, asset managers and a variety of financial investors on complex cross-border and domestic M&A, joint ventures and strategic partnerships, portfolio transfers and corporate reorganisations as well as on reinsurance transactions, pension scheme de-risking transactions and insurance distribution arrangements.
Imogen also regularly advises on insurance regulatory matters, operational resilience, ESG and corporate governance requirements.
- Citi on the sale of its consumer banking business in India to Axis Bank, as part of Citi's announced strategy of focussing its consumer business in Asia and EMEA on wealth management out of Singapore, Hong Kong, UAE and London
- Swiss Re on the global reorganisation of its Life Capital and Corporate Solutions business units and streamlining of its global legal entity structure
- Legal & General on various bulk annuity and pension de-risking transactions and reinsurance arrangements, including the acquisition of certain pension liabilities of Allied Irish Bank through an innovative structure involving a number of risk transfer arrangements
- Cinven and GIC on the joint acquisition of leading specialist (re)insurance broker Miller from Willis Towers Watson
- Schroders on the establishment of a wealth management strategic joint venture with Lloyds Banking Group and related distribution arrangements
- UBS on the combined Part VII transfer of UBS Limited's investment banking, wealth and asset management businesses to, and its cross-border merger into, UBS Europe SE
- SCOR on the first catastrophe bond issued under the UK’s insurance linked securities regulations
- Riverstone Insurance on the transfer of AXA’s historical employers’ and public liability and disease claims related policies to Riverstone by way of portfolio transfer and reinsurance arrangements
- Piraeus Bank S.A. on the sale of its Serbian bank subsidiary, Piraeus Bank AD Beograd, to Direktna Banka A.D.
- CM International Holdings, the Singapore-based investment arm of China Minsheng Investment Corporation Ltd, on its acquisition of Sirius International Insurance Group Ltd. from White Mountains Insurance Group Ltd
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia on its acquisition of Tyme Investments, the operator of a digital banking platform
- Zurich and Aegon on the sale of interests in the UK based asset manager Seven Investment Management LLP
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Brasenose College, Oxford (BA, Jurisprudence) 2008
- Joined Clifford Chance 2010
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales 2012
- Partner since May 2022
Awards and citations
- Imogen is noted as an “Associate to Watch"
Chambers 2022, Insurance Non-Contentious directory - UK
- Imogen is noted as an "A notable lawyer"
Legal 500 2022, Insurance: Corporate and Regulatory - UK
- "Imogen's advice is spot on every time - she is super reliable and she gets it, even when the issues she deals with are super complicated. She is more than an adviser, she is a partner to us.”
Chambers UK 2022