Clifford Chance Germany advises corporates, banks and financial institutions, investors and government entities. We help them succeed in global markets where commercial economic and legal factors change constantly.
Success in ever-changing markets
The roots of our German offices go back to 1949. Today our team of 300 lawyers includes over 60 partners and we have offices in Düsseldorf, Frankfurt and Munich.
Our clients are leading German and international companies. We use our industry experience, global reach and innovative thinking to help them reach their business goals.
We've built our capability to match our clients' business needs. They work in a wide range of industries, operate all over the world, and need to act decisively when opportunities or issues arise. We meet these needs with our top-grade experience, technical skills and on the ground capability.
Resources that span industries and continents
We believe that lawyers who understand their clients' industries give the most valuable legal advice. That's why we were the first firm in the German market to build global cross-practice industry groups (see Sector expertise below). Lawyers in these groups share legal know-how, offer sector-specific advice, and keep clients up to date on market and industry trends that could reshape their businesses.
Our clients rely on us for pragmatic advice and innovative solutions – wherever their businesses operate. Which is why we're used to working in multi-practice, multi-region teams combining the right resources from the firm's international network to deliver the best possible results. Recent examples of our work show our range and reach.
Committed to our clients' success
Each client, and client project, has unique needs. We aim to understand these needs at the outset and our client relationship partners make sure that we meet them in an efficient, flexible way.
- Clifford Chance appointed 29 new partners in 2021. Three of the promotions are from Germany. We congratulate Cristina Weidner (Global Financial Markets), Dimitri Slobodenjuk (Corporate) and Philipp Stoecker (Real Estate).
- JUVE Awards 2020: Clifford Chance named Law Firm of the Year for Banking and Finance and Regulated Industries
- Clifford Chance appointed 26 new partners in 2020. Two of the promotions are from Germany. We congratulate Dennis Blechinger (Real Estate, München) and Dominik Engl (Tax, Frankfurt).
- Clifford Chance has been named Legal Tech Law Firm 2020.
- Clifford Chance is an official partner of Global Digital Women, an international network of female digital pioneers. In February 2020, we ran a networking event together which was part of our #EachforEqual campaign.
- Clifford Chance welcomes Oliver Krappe to its German management team at the beginning of October 2019.
- First law firm in Germany to launch an integrated Innovation & Best Delivery Hub, an integrated digitalisation and legal tech centre based at its Frankfurt office. The aim is to use innovative workflow and technology solutions to improve advisory services and interactions with clients.
- Strengthening its dispute resolution practice with hire of Christine Gärtner in June 2019. She specialises in complex litigation and arbitration proceedings, with extensive knowledge of corporate, banking and securities disputes.
- Clifford Chance positions itself as an employer of the future with its "smart working" initiative. A major focus of the initiative is on improving work-life balance. Clifford Chance has just been awarded the "workandfamily audit" certificate.
- Boosting its capital markets practice with the hire of Philipp Klöckner in May 2019. He specialises in capital markets and public M&A transactions as well as in general capital markets, securities and corporate law matters.
- Clifford Chance appointed 30 new partners in 2019. Two of the promotions are from Germany. We congratulate Stefan Bruder (Corporate) and David Pasewaldt (Litigation, both Frankfurt).
- Clifford Chance enhances its notarial services: Thomas Reischauer appointed notary.
- Clifford Chance promotes diversity in the workplace and becomes PROUTEMPLOYER.
- We are ranked Tier One in the following categories: Banking, Capital Markets: Structured Finance and Securitisation, Private Equity, Project Finance.
- Clifford Chance was the only firm to win two JUVE awards this year: "Law Firm of the Year for Banking and Finance" and "Law Firm of the Year for Regulated Industries", it also received nominations in Compliance and Dispute Resolution. "Excellent interaction and reliability", "top-level advice" and " highly developed sector strategy" - Our teams in Germany are pleased to have received great feedback from clients as well as the legal industry and are ranked Tier One in the following categories: Bank Lending and Acquisition Finance, Structured Finance, Investment Funds and Asset Management, Energy Sector: Transactions/Financing, Insolvency and Restructuring, M&A, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Products, Transactions in the Pharmaceuticals Sector and Real Estate.
JUVE 2020 /2021
- "Strong expertise", "impressive matter management" and "first-class practice" – In Germany our teams are pleased to have received great feedback from clients as well as the legal industry and are ranked Tier One in 9 categories: Banking & Finance, Capital Markets: Structured Finance, Dispute Resolution: White-Collar Crime – Corporate Advisory, Investment Funds, Healthcare & Life Sciences, Project Finance, Real Estate, Real Estate Finance and Restructuring/Insolvency.
Chambers Europe 2020
- "Absolute reliable" and "outstanding expertise": Our teams are pleased to receive praise from clients and the legal industry. In Germany, we are ranked Tier 1 in 13 categories: Real Estate Finance, Investment Funds, Lending and Borrowing, Project Finance, Healthcare and Life Sciences, Drug Advertising Law, Healthcare - Regulatory Advice, Healthcare - Transactions, Compliance, Real Estate, Capital Markets - Structured Finance and Securitisation, Private Equity - Transactions - Fund Formation, White-Collar Crime – Advice to Companies.
The Legal 500 Germany 2020
- In Germany we are ranked Tier One in 11 categories: Asset Finance, Banking & Finance, Compliance, Investment Funds, Life Sciences, Projects, Real Estate, Real Estate Finance, Restructuring/Insolvency, Structured Finance, and White-Collar Crime.
Chambers Europe 2018
- We are ranked Tier One in six categories: Energy – Transactions and Finance, Investment Funds and Asset Management, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Products, Pharmaceuticals – Transactions, Real Estate, and Structured Finance. We are also ranked as a Tier One firm in the Frankfurt market.
- Pre-eminent practice with a stellar reputation for complex, multi-jurisdictional financing transactions. Clients appreciate that the team "combines speed, attention to detail and commercial know-how."
Chambers Europe 2018: Germany – Banking & Finance
- Following last year's spectacular success, the CC M&A practice has managed to consolidate its position as a market leader. […] The traditional CC strengths are also more prominent than ever before, primarily the exceptional sector focus (healthcare, banking/finance, energy, real estate etc.).
JUVE 2018/2019 – M&A
- Clifford Chance's pharmaceutical practice is an undisputed market leader, acting as both a legal advisor of choice to leading pharma manufacturers on complex transactions and as legal counsel in various proceedings that are of fundamental importance for the entire industry.
JUVE 2018/2019 – Healthcare
- In its advice to investment funds and asset managers the practice group has enjoyed an excellent reputation for a long time now, having managed to maintain its momentum. In terms of innovative vehicles, such as the establishment of the first EU-regulated cryptocurrency fund, the team has broken new legal ground.
JUVE 2018/2019 – Investment Funds and Asset Management
- The firm's Real Estate practice has been a market leader for many years and is second to none in terms.
JUVE 2018/2019 – Real Estate
- Particularly popular among financial services providers for advice on the tax law elements of fund structuring and capital markets transactions. Frequently acts for investors on the tax structuring of real estate and M&A deals, as well as on transfer tax and VAT matters. Also represents clients in internal tax investigations and other tax compliance mandates.
Chambers Europe 2018: Germany – Tax
- Clifford Chance’s clients in the FinTech sector comprise many of the most advanced companies in the market. Accelerators, incubators, company builders, investors, and mature start-ups alike trust the firm’s ability to handle elaborate high-value and high-liability transactions. "What sticks out is their ability to confidently make a recommendation and stand behind it. They don’t just throw legal jargon at you - they translate it and explain it."
Chambers FinTech 2019: Germany
- Prominent team highlighted for its adeptness at defending multiple parties in highly complex disputes. Popular choice for large-scale cartel follow-on actions. Clients compliment the team's "excellent expertise and dedication" and straightforward way of advising.
Chambers Europe 2018: Germany – Dispute Resolution
5 German Anniversaries
Our firm's history in Germany dates back far longer than our groundbreaking merger in 2000. In fact, our roots stretch back 130 years, to the booming Wilhelmine era of the late 19th century. Our earliest legacy firms in Germany were established back in 1890/91 in Berlin. Our 130th anniversary this year coincides with 4 additional milestone anniversaries of the firm. "Thinking big" is the story of our German predecessor firms on their way to becoming the "Weltfirma" predicted by Dolf Weber and Rüdiger Volhard, two of our visionary leading partners. It is the story of key individuals and milestones that made today's success possible. It is also a tale about a tradition of constant innovation, making it an inspiration for future generations.Read more