Clifford Chance, Bangkok
Sindhorn Building Tower 3 21st Floor
130-132 Wireless Road
Our track record is built on over 15 years of headline-making deals. We use our local experience, our regional offices, and our international network to get the best possible results for clients.
An on-the-ground team that's used to complex deals
Our Bangkok office, opened in 1996, is staffed by over 20 lawyers; most are Thai qualified and several are internationally qualified. Our work with clients includes ground-breaking domestic deals and complex regional and international transactions.
Two of our 2013 domestic deals broke Thai records. The $1.4bn listing of BTS Rail Mass Transit Growth Infrastructure Fund was Thailand's largest ever IPO, and CP All PCL's $6.6 billion acquisition of cash-and-carry wholesaler Siam Makro PCL was Thailand's largest ever M&A transaction. In one 2012 international transaction we advised China's largest auto-manufacturer (SAIC Motor Corporation) on its joint venture with a Thai conglomerate (Charoen Pokphand Group) to produce cars for the South-East Asian market that carry a historic British marque (SAIC owns the MG brand).
A track record built on efficient multi-office team work
Our experience has taught us how to work efficiently on complex projects and make sure that we use our resources – and our clients' time – as effectively as possible. We are used to working on fast-paced projects with teams that include local lawyers and specialist lawyers from other offices – lawyers who have worked with our Thailand team before and understand local-market practicalities.
We look carefully at how to build and manage our teams because we know that these day-to-day practicalities matter to clients. Clients say that our approach and capability, our talented lawyers, and our extended team-working delivers the right results:
- "'Excellence across the board'… on international deals across the Southeast Asia region and beyond."
Asia Pacific Legal 500, 20012-13
- "…impressive expertise and extensive cross-border practice…"
Chambers Asia Pacific, 2013
- "Other parties had serious problems which we had foreseen and avoided, thanks to Clifford Chance."
Chambers Banking & Finance, Thailand, 2013
Sector expertise that delivers award-winning deals
We have particularly strong sector-expertise in renewable energy, other forms of power, and aircraft financing. Recent highlights in these sectors include:
- The $100m financing in 2011 of Akara Mining, operators of the Chatree gold mine (Euromoney's 2012 Project Finance Magazine Asia-Pacific Mining Deal of the Year) and its subsequent $150m refinancing in 2012
- The $259m financing of Natural Energy Development Company's state-of-the-art solar power plant (Euromoney’s 2011 Project Finance Magazine Asia-Pacific Renewable/Solar Deal of the Year)
- The 2013 US$ 325m financing of two gas-fired power projects, each with a 114MW generating capacity, to be developed by B.Grimm Power Limited.
Awards and milestones
- APAC Mining Deal of the Year (Akara), Euromoney's Project Finance Magazine (2012)
- APAC Renewable/Solar Deal of the Year (NED), Euromoney’s Project Finance Magazine (2011)
- Asian-Mena Counsel 'In-House Community Firm Of The Year 2012' in Thailand for Banking & Finance
- Advising BBL Asset Management Company Limited (BBLAM), as the management company of BTS Rail Mass Transit Growth Infrastructure Fund (BTSGIF), on BTSGIF's US$1.4 billion (Bt41.5 billion) IPO, the biggest listing ever in Thailand and the first IPO of an infrastructure fund in Thailand
- Advising Noble Group Limited on its issuance of 3.55% THB 2.85 billion (approx. US$100 million) guaranteed bonds due 2016. The first bond issue guaranteed by the Credit Guarantee and Investment Facility (CGIF), a trust fund established by the ADB to promote ASEAN bond markets
- Advised SHV of the Netherlands on sale of its group's shareholding in Siam Makro PCL (listed on SET) and some related intangible assets to CP All PCL (separately listed part of the CP Group). The biggest takeover announced in Asia this year and the biggest M&A deal in Thailand ever
- Advised the lenders on the THB equivalent of US$100m financing and US$150m refinancing for Akara Mining Limited, Thailand's major gold mining company. the first significant gold mine financing in Thailand, awarded APAC Mining Deal of the Year by Project Finance Magazine in 2012
- We advised SAIC Motor Corporation (the largest Chinese auto maker) on its joint venture with Charoen Pokphand Group (CP) to assemble and distribute MG-series cars in Thailand. (MG Motor is a wholly owned British subsidiary of SAIC). The first SAIC joint venture with a foreign partner to produce its own brand passenger vehicles overseas
- Advising Barclays Bank PLC as Global Co-ordinator on the initial public offering of 333,000,000 ordinary shares of Ananda Development Public Company Limited. The first IPO deal in many years by a Thai company with a portion of shares being offered offshore.
- Top tier for banking and finance
- "Market observers underscore Clifford Chance's impressive expertise and extensive cross-border practice…", "Fergus Evans is widely seen as "a key figure in the market."…" "He is exemplary. He addressed all the issues and really went the extra mile," enthuses one client…"
Chambers Asia Pacific 2013
- "The 'very good' Clifford Chance (Thailand) Limited handles project finance, construction and development work, particularly in the renewable energy sector... Counsel Joseph Tisuthiwongse provides 'quality advice' and 'quick turnaround times'. Fergus Evans is recommended."
Asia Pacific Legal 500 2012/2013
- "'Excellent across the board', Clifford Chance (Thailand) Limited acts on international deals across the Southeast Asia region and beyond... Andrew Matthews is also rated for his 'appropriate advice' and 'in-depth knowledge of Thai law'."
Asia Pacific Legal 500 2012/2013