Clifford Chance US is a full-service law firm advising domestic and multinational clients in the US and around the world.
A highly rated US team backed by a large global network
Our clients include many of the world’s leading businesses. They rely on us for superior service, market-leading expertise and commercial counsel on their most important and challenging matters. We've built our US practices to meet these demands domestically – in fact, nearly three in four US partners were recommended in 2018 by The Legal 500 United States.
On cross-border matters, and for clients with a full range of multijurisdictional needs, our capabilities are unmatched in the US market. Our team of approximately 300 lawyers in New York and Washington, DC works closely with the Firm's network of international lawyers practicing from more than 30 offices worldwide. Uniquely, that network includes a team of US-qualified attorneys who practice on the ground in Asia, Europe and South America. In 2018, Clifford Chance received 210 Band 1 lawyer and practice area rankings from Chambers Global – more than any other US firm by a wide margin.
Similarly, our US Tech Group – part of the Firm's 400-lawyer-strong Global Tech Group – provides a new model in blending our technology expertise to deliver advice across transactional and litigation practices that addresses both opportunity and risk. We are making technology as pervasive in our Firm as it is in the business world.
Collaboration is a core value within our culture. It means that we work as a team to look at our clients' needs from their perspective and offer innovative solutions that are not tied to a particular office, practice area or attorney. It also means that when catastrophic events occur, such as a cyber breach, our partners can quickly mobilize a first-rate global team to work with regulators across all jurisdictions and help with the incident response.
Read on to learn about our US practices and why our lawyers are trusted by companies around the world on a broad range of corporate and financial transactions and high-level investigations.
Main areas of practice
Our US Banking & Finance group represents financial institutions and corporates in connection with all manner of financial products, including complex national and multinational insolvency and restructuring proceedings, acquisition finance, bank lending, asset finance, equipment leasing and debt trading. Our top-ranked Asset Finance team includes three Tier 1 partners in New York and is among the best and most active in the world in advising on large aircraft finance transactions.
We are also a recognized leader in Project Finance, with two Tier 1 partners. Our US-based attorneys represent lenders, sponsors and developers on financings for projects in the US and across Latin America, including in the renewables, oil and gas, infrastructure, telecoms and petrochemicals sectors. In Latin America, Clifford Chance has topped the project finance league tables two of the past three years, and we were named the 2018 Project Finance Law Firm of the Year by IFLR.
Our US Financial Services Regulatory Group comprises attorneys from transactional and litigation practices to create a single access point for advice on risks and regulatory obligations across international markets.
Contact: Zarrar Sehgal
Our US Capital Markets practice has an outstanding reputation for developing innovative solutions in the expanding area of specialty finance, especially in relation to permanent capital vehicles and alternative REIT structures.
The Firm advises on the full range of capital-raising transactions in the US, representing issuers, underwriters, sponsors and selling stockholders. Our US REIT practice has been ranked Tier 1 for more than a decade and has led the way in exporting the product to Mexico, where we advised on the first FIBRA, and to Europe, where we advised on the first US REIT comprised of non-US real estate assets.
Product coverage includes IPOs (for both US and non-US companies listing on US exchanges), secondary equity, private placements, preferred equity, equity-linked products, debt and high-yield offerings. Our team also represents numerous investment banks as underwriters of securities issued by closed-end funds and is regularly engaged in fund creation work for US registered open-end and closed-end funds and hedge funds. We are frequently instructed on cross-border capital markets matters, with a principal focus on Latin America.
Our team has been at the forefront of developing structured products, representing clients across a broad spectrum of securitization and other structured capital markets products, and in derivative products, in the US and internationally.
We have long advised clients on high-end, business-critical mergers, acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures. Our clients include public and private companies, investment banks and financial institutions, and private equity firms. Our lawyers advise on the full spectrum of M&A products and services, and we regularly handle US inbound foreign direct investments for non-US clients. In Latin America, Clifford Chance topped Bloomberg's 2017 M&A league table, advising on the most deals in the region, and is recognized as Tier 1 by Legal 500 Latin America for Corporate/M&A.
Our US Insurance team is a leader in M&A transactions, innovative risk-transfer and capital-raising transactions, insurtech and strategic regulatory matters, and our lawyers have done pioneering work in the non-payment insurance space. We are also the market leader in forming alternative capital insurance and reinsurance companies, having advised on deals with an aggregate value of more than US$14 billion in the life insurance and P&C insurance space.
Our Funds & Investment Management team advises on an especially broad range of mandates, with notable strength in the US real estate and asset/structured finance sectors. We have extensive experience with private equity, real estate and debt funds, as well as large limited partner investments and secondaries transactions.
Contact: David Brinton
Our US Litigation & Dispute Resolution team represents many of the largest global financial institutions, leading companies, governments and international organizations, as well as individuals from the business community, in some of the market's largest and highest-profile US disputes.
We help clients resolve complex disputes in a manner that reflects their global business objectives, and we are frequently called upon to conduct critical domestic and cross-border investigations. Our team defends multifaceted and high-risk securities class actions and boasts a highly regarded white collar and enforcement capability.
Our trial expertise includes all types of civil and criminal cases before juries and judges in multiple jurisdictions, as well as appellate matters before national and international courts and tribunals. In addition to helping clients through the challenges of a trial, our US litigators offer in-depth guidance regarding the development of compliance programs to assist in minimizing future risks.
Contact: David DiBari
Our US Real Estate group focuses on the legal issues and commercial challenges involved in dealing with acquisitions and sales, preferred equity structures, joint ventures, limited partnerships, REITs and other co-investment arrangements, leasing, mortgage loans and credit facilities and mezzanine loans.
We are also a market leader for cross-border transactions and regularly represent investors in the acquisition of trophy-type properties and large portfolios that often require complex structuring and significant tax planning.
Contact: Ness Cohen
Our Tax lawyers are often credited with devising solutions that are not only innovative, but in themselves pave the way for complex transactions to close – for example, the US$100 billion AB InBev / SABMiller merger. The group regularly advises on US and international taxation, covering corporate and commercial transactions, equity and debt offerings, real estate and private equity funds and investments, financing and securitization transactions, tax-efficient structured transactions, insurance taxation, charitable organizations and the resolution of tax disputes.
We offer an in-depth understanding of the rapidly changing US tax rules, and we combine that with easy access to the Firm's global network of tax attorneys with extensive knowledge of international tax systems and how they interlink. Our team is trusted by clients to ensure that deal structures fit with their broader business goals and risk tolerance.
The group is ranked Band 1 in the US for Tax: Financial Products and has a particularly strong reputation for its tax work in supporting REIT and insurance structures.
Our employee benefits and executive compensation lawyers regularly advise domestic and multinational companies on critical employment matters in the context of M&A transactions, including the treatment of equity compensation, negotiating employment agreements and pension plan terminations. We also advise on all aspects of Title I of ERISA, including fiduciary issues in connection with the investment of employee benefit plan assets as well as the fiduciary responsibility requirements that pension plan investment committees must comply with.
- Clifford Chance advises on Global Jet Capital's issuance of US$521,800,000 Secured Notes in an asset backed securitization. The securitization (BJETS 2020-1), is the fourth ABS offering that Global Jet Capital has closed.
- Clifford Chance is advising Watford Holdings Ltd. (NASDAQ:WTRE) on its pending approximately US$700 million acquisition by Bermuda-based insurance, reinsurance and mortgage insurance company Arch Capital Group Ltd.
- Clifford Chance advised private real estate finance and investment company Greystone on the innovative reopening of its inaugural real estate debt fund, Greystone Senior Debt Opportunity Fund (B), for new commitments. The new commitments by existing and new investors increase the fund size to approximately US$1 billion in equity.
- Clifford Chance is advising private equity firm Ardian on the strategic acquisition by its investee company, The Dedalus Group, of DXC Technology's (DXC: NYSE) healthcare software provider business for US$525 million.
- Clifford Chance has advised the underwriters led by Credit Suisse and China International Capital Corporation on Genetron Holdings' US$256 million SEC-registered IPO of American Depositary Shares (ADS) and listing on Nasdaq.
- "It [Clifford Chance] has an excellent understanding of the sector and the space, its lawyers have a very good balance of moving the deal forward and making sure the legal protections are in place."
Chambers USA 2020: Transportation: Aviation: Finance (USA Nationwide) – Band 1
- "They have a really deep bench and experience in international project finance across different asset classes."
Chambers USA 2020: Project: Agency Finance (USA Nationwide) – Band 1
- "The team has always been close the REIT, understanding our needs, the situation in the market (Mexico, Hotels) and have always guided the company towards a good outcome. On top of finance and real estate advice, we have also used the firm to assist in items such as tax, regulation, among others."
Legal 500 USA 2020: Real Estate REITs – Tier 1
- "Clifford Chance's 'one-stop shop' tax practice acts for a number of banks and elite asset managers covering real estate and debt, and routinely handles cross-border mandates in conjunction with its London office."
Legal 500 USA 2020: Tax Financial Products – Tier 1
- "Business-like, knowledgeable, practical, good market color, sophisticated, user-friendly, good service orientation, nice people to deal with."
Legal 500 USA 2020: Structured Finance – Securitization – Tier 2
- "The Clifford Chance team is tireless in providing exceptional client service and a high-quality work product," and "They have deep industry and regulatory knowledge and very practical experience in transactional, tax, and regulatory matters for insurance and reinsurance."
Legal 500 USA 2020: Insurance: non contentious – Tier 2
- "The firm is very dedicated to client service and quality work. I have not seen a transaction yet that is beyond its abilities or boundaries."
Chambers USA 2020: Corporate/M&A: Highly Regarded – Band 2