We were one of the first international law firms to open an office in São Paulo and are among the most prominent in Brazil. For nearly four decades, our Firm has been advising clients on Brazilian inbound and outbound investments and other significant transactions, drawing upon expertise across multiple practice areas.
We have several top-tier practices and advise global clients active in the region in the following areas:
- Corporate/M&A: strategic planning and structuring advice, public and private M&A, joint ventures, financial advisor representation and complex cross-border transactions
- Banking & Finance: broad capabilities include project finance and bonds, corporate finance and syndicated lending – with strong experience in the energy, infrastructure and telecommunications sectors
- Capital Markets: strong reputation for innovation in securitizations, structured products and derivatives – with expertise in both debt and equity offerings
- Restructuring and Liability Management: multidisciplinary, business-minded approach with cross-border expertise in finance, commercial transactions and litigation
- Investigations and Litigation: significant experience across Latin America in regulatory compliance and investigations as well as complex commercial litigation
Our lawyers in São Paulo, New York, Washington, DC and across the globe work closely with clients on matters in Brazil and throughout the region. With a diversified team on the ground in São Paulo, we are able to react quickly to the needs of our clients and the dynamic Brazilian market.
Having advised on a wide array of transactions over many years, our stable and committed team has developed important relationships and a thorough understanding of the Brazilian market. We are deeply familiar with the business, legal and regulatory landscape, not just in Brazil but throughout Latin America.
An impressive number of top rankings from elite independent sources recognize our groundbreaking work on significant transactions; innovative, market-driven solutions; and longstanding commitment to clients around the world conducting transactions in Brazil.
A small sample of our work includes advising:
- Banco Bradesco on its historic US$5.2 billion acquisition of HSBC assets in Brazil, the largest M&A transaction in Latin America in 2015
- US food manufacturer Kellogg on its US$428 million acquisition of Brazilian biscuit maker Parati Group, its largest acquisition to date in Latin America
- On the US$421 million IPO of Alupar Investimento, a Brazilian electricity transmission and generation company
- Suzano on its issuance of US$300 million 7.000% Senior Notes due 2047, the first 30 year bond issuance in the paper and cellulose sector
- Brazilian sugar and ethanol producer Usina Santa Terezinha on the restructuring of its debt
- Brazilian mining company Samarco Mineração S.A. on financial consequences of an environmental incident suffered in late 2015 and potential restructuring of its approximately US$4 billion in debt
- IFC in its US$250 million financing package for Banco Daycoval, to expand access to finance for small and medium enterprises, including women-owned businesses
- A financial institution in Brazil in relation to investigations by the Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- Santander Brasil and Santander Spain with respect to their US$300 million loan to the State of São Paulo to fund its road building program, which loan was guaranteed by the Brazilian Federal Government and, in an innovative structure, also by the World Bank's MIGA
- Sumitomo in connection with the financing of the BTG Pactual's US$758 million acquisition of Globenet's undersea telecom cable system from Oi
Our Americas team of nearly 300 lawyers in collaboration with thousands of lawyers across the Clifford Chance global network – has established us as a go-to firm for international legal work flowing into and out of Brazil.
Directory and client comments
- Corporate M&A: Brazil: International
- Energy & Natural Resources: Latin America Wide
- Projects: Latin America Wide
- Partner Anthony Oldfield, Corporate M&A: Brazil: International
Chambers Latin America, Band 1
- Projects and Energy: International Firms, Legal 500 Latin America
- Partner Anthony Oldfield, "Leading Lawyer" for Corporate and M&A
Legal 500 Latin America, Tier 1