Zarrar Sehgal is the Head of the Banking & Finance practice area in the Americas. He concentrates his practice on a wide variety of international asset finance transactions, including acquisition financing, leveraged leasing, EETC transactions, secured lending, structured financing, export credit agency-supported financings and credit enhancements. He also has extensive experience representing underwriters and issuers in public offerings and private placement of securities, including portfolio securitizations and debt and equity offerings.
Zarrar has particular expertise in financings involving aircraft and has worked on several of the most significant securitizations and financings in the market, including many transactions that have been awarded 'Deal of the Year' awards from industry publications.
- BBAM, as seller and servicer, in connection with the issuance by Horizon of a US$612 million asset backed securitization, backed by 29 aircraft on lease to 21 lessees based in 19 countries.
- Wings Capital Partners on the closing of an issuance of US$480 million of fixed rate secured notes by WAVE 2017-1 LLC and WAVE 2017-1 Limited. The proceeds from the issuance of the Notes were used by WAVE to acquire a portfolio of 19 Airbus and Boeing jet aircraft. AirFinance Journal Awards 2018: Overall Capital Markets Deal of the Year
- Aergo Capital on its first asset backed securitization deal, METAL 2017-1, which is secured on a portfolio of 26 aircraft. Our advice related to the issuance of debt and equity securities and the associated acquisition of aircraft. Ishka Awards 2017: Best Capital Markets Deal
- Avolon Aerospace Leasing Limited on the closing of an issuance of US$768 million of fixed rate secured notes by Sapphire Aviation Finance I Limited and Sapphire Aviation Finance I (US) LLC. The proceeds from the issuance of the Notes were used by the issuers to acquire a portfolio of 41 aircraft on lease to a diversified pool of 30 customers in 19 countries.
- KDAC Aviation Finance (Cayman) Limited, KDAC Aviation Finance (USA) LLC and DVB Bank SE, London Branch on an issuance of US$722.5 million of fixed rate secured notes.
- BBAM in connection with the $1.2 billion ABS issuance by Element Financial Corporation, backed by 49 narrowbody and widebody aircraft. This ABS issuance represented the first US$1 billion + issuance since 2008. Airfinance Journal Awards 2016: North American Deal of the Year
- Avolon Holdings Limited in its US$10.38 billion acquisition of the aircraft leasing business of CIT Group.
- Milestone Aviation Group in connection with a US Ex-Im Bank guaranteed US$187.4 million bond to finance the export of Sikorsky S-92 helicopters, Ex-Im Bank's largest financing of U.S.-manufactured commercial helicopter exports
- Goldman Sachs in connection with the issuance by ATLAS 2014-1 Limited and ATLAS 2014-1 LLC of US$540 million of senior secured asset-backed loans which are secured by 30 aircraft to be sold and serviced by Aldus Aviation. Airfinance Journal Awards 2015: Capital Markets Deal of the Year
- AWAS on its first private placement term loan. Proceeds from the US$350 million transaction were used to repay the existing debt on ten narrow-body aircraft and for general corporate purposes.
- AWAS in its first corporate revolver. RBS, RBC, DBS and BNP acted as joint lead arrangers and joint bookrunners on US$425 million revolving credit agreement to a Luxembourg borrower (guaranteed by AWAS Aviation Capital Limited).
- BOC Aviation in connection with their US$500 million asset backed securitization, backed by 24 aircraft to be acquired from BOC Aviation by Shenton Aircraft Investment I Ltd. and affiliates. Airfinance Journal Awards 2016: Capital Markets-ABS Deal of the Year
- DVB Bank and certain of its affiliates as Seller and as Servicer in connection with the issuance by AIM Aviation Finance Limited and AIM Aviation Finance USA LLC of US$667 million of senior secured notes which are secured by 20 aircraft.
- Credit Agricole Securities (USA) Inc. as Structuring Agent and a Joint Bookrunner and Goldman, Sachs & Co. as a Joint Bookrunner in connection with the issuance by Willis Lease Finance Corporation's wholly owned subsidiary, Willis Engine Securitization Trust II, of US$390 million of senior secured notes which are secured by 79 aircraft engines acquired from Willis Lease Finance Corporation. Airfinance Journal Awards 2012: Engine Deal of the Year
AWAS turns to Clifford Chance to complete its first private placement term loan
14 October 2014
Clifford Chance advises on FLY Leasing’s purchase of 49 aircraft
5 August 2011
- Applicability of U.S. Risk Retention Rules to Structured Aircraft Portfolio Transactions
- Ranked in the Band 1 tier of Aviation Finance lawyers.
- Listed as a "Leading Lawyer" in Asset Finance and Leasing.
Legal 500 USA
- Named as one of the fifteen "Rising Stars".
Airfinance Journal in 2005
- Listed in the Guide to the World’s Leading Aviation Lawyers, Chambers Global and The International Who’s Who of Aviation Lawyers
White Paper: Applicability of U.S. Risk Retention Rules to Structured Aircraft Portfolio Transactions
15 February 2017
Bric by Bric - Brazil accedes to Cape Town
1 December 2011
Career and qualifications
- Georgetown University Law Center (JD) 1997
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1998
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2006
Awards and citations
- Zarrar Sehgal has been ranked as Band 1 in Chambers USA – Transportation: Aviation – Finance (Nationwide). "Zarrar Sehgal is a 'tremendous lawyer' who is considered a go-to for aviation finance transactions. He covers a range of matters, including enhanced equipment trust certificate (EETC) transactions and leveraged leasings."
Chambers USA 2018 – Transportation: Aviation – Finance (Nationwide)