Clifford Chance, Tokyo
Palace Building, 3rd floor
1-1, Marunouchi 1-chome
- Legal entity: Clifford Chance Law Office (Gaikokuho Kyodo Jigyo)
- See capabilities for Japan
Clifford Chance has worked for over 40 years on Japan related matters. We understand Japanese business and have a strong track record of high-profile work for international clients investing in Japan, and for Japanese companies building their overseas business.
A well-established team
The firm has advised Japanese clients since 1974 and opened the Tokyo office in 1987. Our lawyers know the culture and practicalities of Japanese business and advise clients on both international and Japanese law. Our fully-integrated practice of Japanese and foreign lawyers working side-by-side ensures that we are familiar with both local and international legal and business practices, enabling us to provide relevant and culturally-attuned advice. We have top-ranked teams across practices: Capital Markets, Corporate, Finance and Litigation and Dispute Resolution.
A proven track record on inbound and outbound transactions
We have longstanding relationships with Japanese companies, banks, and institutions. When we work with these clients on cross-border matters their team often includes domestic lawyers and specialist lawyers from our 25-country network. We're used to working in these extended teams to cover every aspect of a deal – from fund- raising and regulatory filings to documenting international-law issues in Japanese.
A proactive approach to client relationships
Our lawyers work hard to keep clients briefed on new developments. These range from technical updates on regulatory changes and new forms of finance, to sharing our partners' deep sector-knowledge of market trends and opportunities. We are also always searching for innovative ways to deliver the best service to our clients.
We value our clients' trust and recent comments suggest that they like the way we work as much as the work we deliver:
- "They are a top-notch, excellent team." - Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2016
- "They are very prompt, and keep us well informed. They do impressively high-quality work." - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016
- "They are highly commercial and give the right level of advice as they have taken the time to understand client needs and what the key drivers are.”- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2015
- "The level of service at Clifford Chance Law Office ‘is outstanding’, according to clients" – The Legal 500, 2016
- International Deal Firm of the Year – ALB Japan Law Awards 2016
- Aviation Law Firm of the Year – ALB Japan Law Awards 2016
- Japan Deal of the Year – ALB Japan Law Awards 2016
- M&A Deal of the Year – ALB Japan Law Awards 2016
- Real Estate Deal of the Year – ALB Japan Law Awards 2016
- Technology, Media and Telecommunications Deal of the Year – ALB Japan Law Awards 2016
- Dealmaker of the Year: Reiko Sakimura – ALB Japan Law Awards 2016
- Best Private Equity Deal – Japan Achievement Awards 2015/16 by FinanceAsia
- The Most Innovative Deal – Japan Achievement Awards 2015/16 by FinanceAsia
- Private Equity Law Firm of the Year – International – Asian Legal Business Law Awards 2016
- Law Firm of the Year in Asia (transactions) – Private Equity International Awards 2016
- Asia Pacific Law Firm of the Year on transactions – GlobalCapital Awards 2016
- Advised VINCI Airports S.A.S. on the concession of the Kansai and Osaka International airports, the first ever airport privitisation in Japan. (Real Estate Deal of the Year– ALB Japan Law Awards 2016, The Most Innovative Deal – Japan Achievement Awards 2015/16 by FinanceAsia)
- Advised Comcast Corp. on its acquisition of a majority stake in Universal Studios Japan for USD 1.5 billion (Best Private Equity Deal – Japan Achievement Awards 2016 by FinanceAsia)
- Advised a Japanese Bank for its financing to a news organization Nikkei Inc (Nikkei) on its acquisition of British newspaper the Financial Times from Pearson Plc, a UK media giant. (M&A deal of the Year, Technology, Media and Telecommunications Deal of the Year, Japan Deal of the Year – ALB Japan Law Awards 2016)
- Advised Goldman Sachs on the JPY800 billion facility for Sumitomo Mitsui Insurance company, Limited in connection with its acquisition of Amlin plc
- Advised Autoliv on its joint venture with Nissin Kogyo involving the companies’ brake businesses
- Advised Denka-Group of Japan on its acquisition of Icon Genetics GmbH of Germany.
- Advised Nikon Corporation on its acquisition of Optos Plc, a leading retinal imaging company, headquartered in Scotland.
- Advised Mizuho and other managers on dual-tranche international offering by Tohoku Electric Power Co., Inc. of JPY120 billion of zero coupon convertible bonds (Equity-linked Product Issuer of the Year – DealWatch Awards 2015)
- Advised SMBC Nikko as lead manager on the international offering by Unicharm Corporation of JPY50 billion zero coupon convertible bonds (DealWatch Awards 2015 "Equity-linked Product of the Year" by Thomson Reuters, "Best Deal of 2015- Convertible Bonds by Capital Eye)
- Advised Nomura and the other managers on dual-tranche international offering by Suzuki Motor Corporation of JPY200 billion of zero coupon convertible bonds with innovative "any time net share settlement" structure
- Advised Nomura and the other managers on dual-tranche international offering by The Chugoku Electric Power Co., Inc. of JPY100 billion zero coupon convertible bonds
- Advised Government of the Republic of Indonesia on its issue of JBIC-guaranteed and Unguaranteed "Samurai Bonds" in Japan
- Advised the State Oil Fund of the Republic of Azerbaijan (SOFAZ) on the acquisition of a retail building named "Kirarito Ginza" located in Ginza the renowned shopping and entertainment district in central of Tokyo, Japan
- Advised a Japanese bank on the EUR1.66 billion equivalent facilities for DMG Mori Seiki Co., Ltd. in connection with its acquisition of DMG Mori Seki AG