Clifford Chance has been an established player in the Latin American markets for more than 30 years and its São Paulo office is one of the largest locally-based international law firms in Brazil.
An established player in Latin America
Clifford Chance's São Paulo office advises on US and English law, providing clients with a local team of specialists accustomed to the business, culture and systems in South America. Languages spoken include Portuguese, Spanish and English.
Brazil's economy ranks highest among all the South American countries and the firm has great strength in advising foreign financial institutions and corporations entering the Brazilian market, and assisting Brazilian enterprises in overseas ventures.
We have completed hundreds of transactions with Brazilian private and state-owned companies from a wide range of industries, and our extensive experience in the country enables us to support Brazilian and international clients engaged in transactions involving Brazil.
Independent recognition of Clifford Chance in Latin America
Latin Finance Magazine Awards
- 2012 Project/Infrastructure Deal of the Year: Terminales Portuarios Eurodinos Paita US$110 Million 2037 Bond
- 2012 Financing Innovation Deal of the Year: Banco do Brasil US$1 Billion Hybrid Tier 1 Perpetual Bond
- 2012 Structured Financing Deal of the Year: Global Bank US$200 Million 4.750% 2017 Covered Bond
- 2012 Cross-Border M&A Deal of the Year: Grupo Sura / ING US$3.8 Billion Latin American Pension Fund Assets
- 2011 Best Cross-Border M&A Deal: AEI sale of Latin American assets
- 2011 Best Primary IPO: Arcos Dorados IPO
- 2011 Best Private Equity Deal: Banco BTG Pactual US$1.8 billion stake purchase
- 2010 Project Finance Deal of the Year: Project Jaguar (Guatemala Coal-Fired Power Project)
- 2008 Best Quasi-Sovereign Bond/Financial Institution Bond: BNDES US$1 billion bond offering
- 2008 Best Syndicated Loan: Braskem pre-export finance facility
Project Finance Magazine Awards
- 2010 Latin American Oil & Gas Deal of the Year: RDS Ultra-Deepwater, Ltd. Financing of PetroRig III
- 2009 Latin America Power Deal of the Year: Pecém I Power Project
- 2009 Americas Transport Deal of the Year: São Paulo Rodoanel Ring Road
IFLR Americas Awards
- 2013 M&A Deal of the Year: Lan-TAM merger
- 2013 Debt & Equity Linked Deal of the Year: Reynolds Group Holdings high-yield bonds
- 2009 Project Finance Deal of the Year: Pecém coal-fired thermal power plant project
- 2008 Project Finance Deal of the Year: Panama Canal expansion
- 2008 Debt & Equity Linked Deal of the Year: BNDES US$1 billion bond offering
Chambers Latin America 2012
- Brazil: Corporate/M&A: Locally-based International Counsel – Ranked Band 1 (only law firm)
- Brazil: Banking & Finance: Locally-based International Counsel: "This full-service international player has a long and distinguished track record in the Latin American market, having been involved in some of the market's most significant deals over the past few years."
- Brazil: Capital Markets: Locally-based International Counsel: "A precise understanding of the market and adaptable to a client's needs - excellent in all aspects.”
Our broader Latin American team is based in our São Paulo, New York, Washington, D.C., Madrid, Barcelona and London offices, and regularly advises Latin American and other global clients on Latin American matters. Areas of expertise include:
Clifford Chance Sociedade de Consultores em Direito Estrangeiro/ Direito Inglês, do país de Gales e Norte Americano